The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

If we could get Mata now that would be amazing. Sadly next to nil chance of it happening.
Original post by ish90an

Last year with the same squads Arsenal were miles behind United, they barely got the top 4 while United cruised to the title. Arsenal haven't challenged for the title for 6 years now, one signing won't bridge the gap. This season just adding Ozil will not make Arsenal title contenders and bring them closer to United. United have the better strikers, the better keeper, the better first choice CB pairing, the better full backs. Arsenal may have the better options in central midfield in Wilshere. Plus you have no idea how Ozil will even gel with the rest of the team, he's a quality player but with just 1 striker there may be no one to take advantage of his creativity.

I know you guys like to act like it's the same set up but in your hearts you must know that it isn't. Fergie's gone.

You have a better keeper and striker. Our fullbacks are pretty similar and we have better strength in depth in that department.

We have similar centrebacks, but Arsenal have a strict 2 centrebacks playing most games together which helps with communication.

Midfield and on the wings we have much better options.

We're closer to you than you are to city...
Original post by iAhmedd
LOOL I was speaking about this year mate and you guys didn't even win your 'own' cup hahaha. We've already won something this season in the form of the community shield.

Don't act as tho the community shield matters, if you had lost it would be all 'it's only the community shield, who cares'!!

Hahaha, hypocrite much
Original post by SirMasterKey
If we could get Mata now that would be amazing. Sadly next to nil chance of it happening.

PSG are apparently in talks for Mata. Cannot believe Jose would let Chelsea's best player from the past 2 seasons go.
Original post by leinad2012
Other have invested and passed you. United and Arsenal are closer to each other than United are to City or Chelsea, open your eyes!

I don't know how you can even put City in such a sentence with the rest of those teams, i am not being biased but what have they done? They have invested several hundred millions in players over the past several seasons and they came out with a PL trophy in 2012 by goal difference in a year where United were ridden with injuries throughout the season.

I don't think you understand the quality of players United have at their disposal, the issue is we need that extra one or two in our midfield.

Watch this space, as i believe that will soon be sorted out in the remaining hours of this deadline day.
I'm an Arsenal fan (as you guys can tell) and it isn't Ozil on that gives me hope, it's Giroud's fine start to the season, the back 4 looking much stronger than normal, Cazorla and Wilshere teaming up well, and Theo on the wing (when that boy learns to cross, it'll be magic).

And if Ozil joins, then it'll just add to the threat.

You guys are acting as though Fellaini is going to make you title contenders, who's story is more bonkers?

Ozil isn't the answer to your problems though. I know Arsenal fans are really happy with his signing but if you look at the bigger picture your midfield wasn't your biggest concern. It's up front and the goalkeeper thats the key, which you still need to sort out to make you guys into title contenders.

On the other, the midfield is the only problem with our team every other department is pretty solid from defenders (once Rafael is back of course), goalkeeper and the strikers. So Fellaini will play DM which just adds a bit of a presence in midfield (plus the goals that comes with him) and Kagawa, Rooney or Herrera (depending on if we get him) will play behind the striker will provide the creativity that we're severly lacking. So I think United fans are right to say we're contending for the title.

No matter who wins though this years title race is going to be the most intriguing in a long time with the likes of Liverpool and Tottenham (I wouldn't rule them out just yet) also completing.
Yes you did, you said De Gea is best in the league, only behind Cech and Begovic and said he was better than Hart and Lloris.

Lloris and De Gea are the same age pretty much...

I didn't say that. Maybe someone else did. I said that De Gea is better than Hart.

Llrois is 26. De Gea is 22. De Gea is the best keeper in the world under 24.
Reply 9607
Yes you did, you said De Gea is best in the league, only behind Cech and Begovic and said he was better than Hart and Lloris.

Lloris and De Gea are the same age pretty much...

De Gea is 22, Lloris is coming up 27.

Pretty much same age? Okay..
Original post by poiuytrewq54321
Ozil isn't the answer to your problems though. I know Arsenal fans are really happy with his signing but if you look at the bigger picture your midfield wasn't your biggest concern. It's up front and the goalkeeper thats the key, which you still need to sort out to make you guys into title contenders.

On the other, the midfield is the only problem with our team every other department is pretty solid from defenders (once Rafael is back of course), goalkeeper and the strikers. So Fellaini will play DM which just adds a bit of a presence in midfield (plus the goals that comes with him) and Kagawa, Rooney or Herrera (depending on if we get him) will play behind the striker will provide the creativity that we're severly lacking. So I think United fans are right to say we're contending for the title.

No matter who wins though this years title race is going to be the most intriguing in a long time with the likes of Liverpool and Tottenham (I wouldn't rule them out just yet) also completing.

I certainly think it was a strange move going for Ozil, Di Maria is a better fit. I think there's more to the CM injuries than meets the eye, Wenger wants high quality back up.

In terms of a Goalkeeper there is still suggestions of a loan move for one and for strikers Demba Ba has been mentioned on loan and another striker. But as you guys keep telling me, Walcott and Podolski are also strikers, so there's a lot of flexibility in terms of CM playing on the wing and the wingers playing in a striker role :smile:

I agree on the Liverpool and Tottenham front, although Liverpool lack strength in depth that could be costly.
Reply 9609
Let's just agree to disagree on the keeper front, Hart hat to play almost all City's games, De Gea had Lindeggard to take over in the smal fixtures. And considering City let in the least amount of goals last year, so to say that their keeper is rubbish is just stupid.
City used Pantilimon in cup games last year, overall he had a few more appearances than De Gea but not many more. City's defensive record is more of a credit to their defence than Hart, he's been ****ing up when a keeper of his calibre should be saving with no problem for awhile now. Look at the England Scotland game a few weeks ago or City's 3-2 loss to Cardiff, in both games he was beaten when he shouldn't have been. Surprised City haven't been on the hunt for a new keeper.
Original post by Sami'
De Gea is 22, Lloris is coming up 27.

Pretty much same age? Okay..

sorry, got my facts mixed up on that one, so many discussions going on at once (mind you de gea is 23 before lloris is 27, so a bit pointless to say that...
Original post by _Morsey_
I don't know how you can even put City in such a sentence with the rest of those teams, i am not being biased but what have they done? They have invested several hundred millions in players over the past several seasons and they came out with a PL trophy in 2012 by goal difference in a year where United were ridden with injuries throughout the season.

I don't think you understand the quality of players United have at their disposal, the issue is we need that extra one or two in our midfield.

Watch this space, as i believe that will soon be sorted out in the remaining hours of this deadline day.

The fact they invested lots is irrelevant when talking about the quality of the side, it's just sour grapes.

Player to player, City are a better squad, its whether they can gel this year
Original post by Nickini
City used Pantilimon in cup games last year, overall he had a few more appearances than De Gea but not many more. City's defensive record is more of a credit to their defence than Hart, he's been ****ing up when a keeper of his calibre should be saving with no problem for awhile now. Look at the England Scotland game a few weeks ago or City's 3-2 loss to Cardiff, in both games he was beaten when he shouldn't have been. Surprised City haven't been on the hunt for a new keeper.

In truth he hasn't been reliable, due to lack of competition. But I would still say he is better once he gets his form back (but de Gea has more potential long term)
I certainly think it was a strange move going for Ozil, Di Maria is a better fit. I think there's more to the CM injuries than meets the eye, Wenger wants high quality back up.

In terms of a Goalkeeper there is still suggestions of a loan move for one and for strikers Demba Ba has been mentioned on loan and another striker. But as you guys keep telling me, Walcott and Podolski are also strikers, so there's a lot of flexibility in terms of CM playing on the wing and the wingers playing in a striker role :smile:

I agree on the Liverpool and Tottenham front, although Liverpool lack strength in depth that could be costly.

Although Di Maria doesn't want to move it seems (can't imagine him getting much playing time now). I've not heard of the goalkeeper before so it'll be interesting to see whether he can adapt to the Premier League. Ba would be good behind Giroud in the pecking order, rate Giroud more than Ba to be honest. Ba seems to have lost his edge going to Chelsea but then again his not had the playing time. Podolski has been played a lot on the left by Wenger so it'll be interesting to see what happens to him if Ba is bought, not that productive on the left as in front. Walcott doesn't have a strikers instinct better employed as a winger.
People on the BBC live text have no clue:

"Fellaini = elbows & long ball tactics. Kagawa = technique & passing vision. Why waste money? Just give Kagawa a chance."

Fellaini will be used in a different position to Kagawa!
Original post by poiuytrewq54321
Although Di Maria doesn't want to move it seems (can't imagine him getting much playing time now). I've not heard of the goalkeeper before so it'll be interesting to see whether he can adapt to the Premier League. Ba would be good behind Giroud in the pecking order, rate Giroud more than Ba to be honest. Ba seems to have lost his edge going to Chelsea but then again his not had the playing time. Podolski has been played a lot on the left by Wenger so it'll be interesting to see what happens to him if Ba is bought, not that productive on the left as in front. Walcott doesn't have a strikers instinct better employed as a winger.

It's certainly going to be interesting
If you guys sign Herrera for £30m... :lolwut:

He's decent, but nowhere near £20m nevermind £30m.
Reply 9617
Original post by CB91

Still better than using Giggs/Anderson/Cleverley in CM. :holmes:
Reply 9618
Original post by CB91

Based on what?
No they don't? All of them are midfielders, granted Ozil is an attacking midfielder, Rooney is a second striker.

Either way, Rooney or Ozil? I know who I'd want...

So all midfielders play in the same position? Okay mate.

Latest