The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aky786UK
Herrera deal has gone quite also.
I've got a feeling that one isn't going to come off. Deadline day with Bilboa, its going to take some swift and effective negotiating. Something we have seen no signs of this window.
Original post by doggyfizzel
We're at the point where if we wanted to sign a midfielder for their actual value we should have done it last summer. Everyone knows we are the market for a midfielder and we are trying to close a deal from a club who don't want to sell and don't need to sell on deadline day. As Louis said, is he in isolation worth £30m, probably not. For the difference he worth £30m for the difference he would make to our team and our season, you bet he is.

I would also challenge the decent but not worth £20m, how many midfielders who are decent go for less than £20m these days without some kind of contract issues or similar?

Jordan Henderson and Joe Allen. :awesome:

Paulinho went for £17m, Henrihk for £22m, Strootman for £15m iirc, there were deals out there tbh. You spent far too long dicking about after Fabregas when it was never going to happen.
Reply 9642
I've got a feeling that one isn't going to come off. Deadline day with Bilboa, its going to take some swift and effective negotiating. Something we have seen no signs of this window.

It doesn't take any; we pay the release clause or we don't get him. Athletic Club don't negotiate, that's who they are.

The hard part is dealing with the player. There's a way to avoid some tax law that I think is applied to foreign payments, and bumps up the price a lot. In order to avoid it, you give the player the transfer fee and then he pays his own release clause. Bayern did this with Javi Martinez. Sorting all that out with about four hours to go is unlikely to happen.

But you'd assume they'd have negotiated all this with the player already if they were actually going to buy him, so it's not impossible. But that would require you to assume United are remotely competent right now:tongue:
Reply 9643
Strootman was such a miss, spurs have signed loads of decent mids yet we cant p*** in a bucket

I hope it does but it does seem indicative of our transfer dealings that things are getting down abit too late. The only way to speed it up is by paying the clause (which according to some) has been done which saves time and personal terms should be handled efficiently and I assume a medical could be done in Spain, like Ozil's.

Everton are chasing after a replacement for Fellaini so even that one isn't sealed and probably won't until late evening.
Not that I rate the guy's punditry, but Jamie Redknapp got it spot on - Man Utd have looked amateurish this window. The biggest thing that probably got me angry the most was that stupid chase of Fabregas. When have you ever seen Man Utd chase a player the way we chased him? I'm so ******* off. I keep repeating the same things every single bloody post arghhhhh
Original post by Over2you
Not that I rate the guy's punditry, but Jamie Redknapp got it spot on - Man Utd have looked amateurish this window. The biggest thing that probably got me angry the most was that stupid chase of Fabregas. When have you ever seen Man Utd chase a player the way we chased him? I'm so ******* off. I keep repeating the same things every single bloody post arghhhhh

Arsene Wenger has eluded some criticism about his transfer dealings. Took a major interest in Higuain to the point where it was being reported, that terms had been agreed between the player and club, but issues over the transfer fee (£34m). He dilly-dallied around before Napoli stole in before trying to sign Suarez when Liverpool made it clear they wouldn't sell to Arsenal and not for that price yet they bidded £40m and a POUND. Can you imagine the criticism had we done that for Fabregas?! This is Wenger who has been at the club for over a decade, won trophies and more experienced when it comes to dealing in the market. But I guess, its ending well for them with the Ozil signing.

It's frustrating with Moyes but Woodward has hardly covered himself in glory and shown he's got alot of hard work to do to settle into his job dealing with football matters. United were led down the garden-path, i.e Fabregas, were probably mis-led by an agent that Fab would be willing to leave but I don't think he was as willing as suggested. He just needed re-assurance.
Herrera to United starting to heat up again

Original post by Kenan and Kel

That is a brilliant gif. :rofl2:
Original post by CB91
That is a brilliant gif. :rofl2:

I'd happily offer a cookie to anyone that can find the original video of that gif

where you hearing this?

this is so frustrating i dont think we have ever left it so late
Original post by ledleyking123
where you hearing this?

this is so frustrating i dont think we have ever left it so late

Moysie will pick him up from Manchester Airport at 10.55pm
I'd happily offer a cookie to anyone that can find the original video of that gif

2:28. I work fast. :cool:

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by CB91

2:28. I work fast. :cool:

That was everything I expected, and more :coma:
I think we could boost shirt sales by buying Heskey. What do you guys think?
Moysie will pick him up from Manchester Airport at 10.55pm

Tbh this might not be Moyes fault. Is he the one who determines how much United bid for a player?
Tony Barrett just said Fellaini was at the Everton training ground to hand in a transfer request.
Reply 9657
Has Ozil to Arsenal been confirmed yet?
Original post by IdeasForLife
Tbh this might not be Moyes fault. Is he the one who determines how much United bid for a player?

He's the manager and so yes, he would determine how much the club pays but obviously in some discusssion with the chief executive.

In a director of football structure, the coach/manager tends to keep himself out of price determination.

Moyes/Woodward's first transfer summer has been unorganised and sporadic but have to factor in both men coming into two big jobs but expected abit more of a plan. I don't believe Moyes' words when he says "I started on July 1st". He was appointed before the season's end and had a break before he took over which I would be astounded if he wasn't already working on targets and plans for the season.
Reply 9659
Link to some transfer talk for Man Utd

https://studio.grabyo.com/v/KsLRfrvveKn

Latest