The Student Room Group
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling

Stirling Questions

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Stirling2014
As has been said, you are not allowed any guests during freshers week and not are you allowed guests during the exam period.

In AKD and the other traditional halls (ASH and Geddes), you are allowed to sign up to 2 people into your room. Officially, you have got to sign anyone in by 1am which is a nuisance if you are in a club that closes at 2am.

If you ask the porter nicely before you go out if you can sign someone later then at their discretion they might let you.

By the book, people shouldn't be staying more than 2 or 3 nights but again if you ask a porter nicely you might get around this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's great thanks :smile:
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling
Reply 141
Original post by tufc
About 900 18-year-olds waiting to move out of home...?

I left home 24 years ago - It hadn't occurred to me just how keen a bunch of youngsters would be to flee the nest. I also imagine the parents might be glad to get rid of them! :biggrin:
Reply 142
Original post by BALLYB
I left home 24 years ago - It hadn't occurred to me just how keen a bunch of youngsters would be to flee the nest. I also imagine the parents might be glad to get rid of them! :biggrin:

If you do want to avoid the chaos then come slightly later on in the day, around 3pm would probably work as no one will have started much mingling, they'll be too busy unpacking etc but you'll miss the mad rush.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 143
If I want to change mobile phone networks, which is the best to go with in the Stirling area, particularly on campus? Thanks.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 144
Original post by Pippin96
If I want to change mobile phone networks, which is the best to go with in the Stirling area, particularly on campus? Thanks.

I've never had any problem on O2, I've heard people moan about Vodafone but I think everything else is pretty much equal. The nature of the buildings means you never get a great signal inside but that doesn't alter by network.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 145
Thanks - that's helpful as I was thinking about changing from Vodaphone to Giffgaff (which uses the O2 network).
Reply 146
I've never had any problem on O2, I've heard people moan about Vodafone but I think everything else is pretty much equal. The nature of the buildings means you never get a great signal inside but that doesn't alter by network.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hope three network is decent, just changed sim today!
Reply 147
Original post by Ryan_95
Hope three network is decent, just changed sim today!

I didn't go with 3 because although the network coverage in Stirling looked OK, there was no coverage in my local area for when I am home.
Reply 148
I didn't go with 3 because although the network coverage in Stirling looked OK, there was no coverage in my local area for when I am home.

It's great where I live, just had a look at the coverage in Stirling and it isn't great but for the price on pay as you go (3p per minute 2p per text) you can't complain.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 149
Original post by Ryan_95
It's great where I live, just had a look at the coverage in Stirling and it isn't great but for the price on pay as you go (3p per minute 2p per text) you can't complain.

I have just sent for a new SIM from giffgaff which gives unlimited texts, 250MB of data and 200 minutes for £7.50 per month. The SIM card deal is contracted for one month at a time. So far, I have been PAYG and using £10 a month so I'm hoping this will be a better deal.
Reply 150
I have just sent for a new SIM from giffgaff which gives unlimited texts, 250MB of data and 200 minutes for £7.50 per month. The SIM card deal is contracted for one month at a time. So far, I have been PAYG and using £10 a month so I'm hoping this will be a better deal.

Pretty decent! I'd personally prefer PAYG, I've topped up £15 and I get unlimited internet, 1000 texts and 300 minutes free. Was on Virgin, but its a complete rip off. Was spending a mint on PAYG
Reply 151
Original post by Ryan_95
Pretty decent! I'd personally prefer PAYG, I've topped up £15 and I get unlimited internet, 1000 texts and 300 minutes free. Was on Virgin, but its a complete rip off. Was spending a mint on PAYG

Yeah, I've always preferred PAYG too but recently I have topped up a lot more often and thought it was time to change - I wasn't getting many texts for £10. Didn't like the thought of a long term contract but with the SIM only deals you can be contracted for only a month at a time. I'll give it a try and change if necessary.
Reply 152
Thanks - that's helpful as I was thinking about changing from Vodaphone to Giffgaff (which uses the O2 network).

Yeah, it is actually Giffgaff I use which as you say is on the O2 network.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 153
Hi just wanted to ask you if I'm planning to arrive around 4 or 5 pm on sunday will I be able to collect my keys for accomodation? When do they close? Should I contact them to arrange something?
How much would it cost to get a taxi from city centre/train station to university?
Original post by Fanfane
Hi just wanted to ask you if I'm planning to arrive around 4 or 5 pm on sunday will I be able to collect my keys for accomodation? When do they close? Should I contact them to arrange something?

You should be fine picking up your keys then, especially if you're staying on Campus.
Reply 155
Original post by Fanfane
How much would it cost to get a taxi from city centre/train station to university?

All the halls have someone on the desk 24/7, it won't be an issue.

Between £6 and £8 before 6pm, £10 - £12 thereafter.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am in AKD on the 7th floor, anyone know the layout of how many kitchens, toilets, etc
would be much appreciated

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 157
See if you have already signed in a guest before 1am like in the afternoon to stay the night is it still fine to go to town and come back in after 1am without it being a problem if you have already signed them in to stay?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 158
All the halls have someone on the desk 24/7, it won't be an issue.

Between £6 and £8 before 6pm, £10 - £12 thereafter.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks so much for your help! Actualy I have one more question. Are they really strict about PAT testing?
Reply 159
Original post by Fanfane
Thanks so much for your help! Actualy I have one more question. Are they really strict about PAT testing?

Not at all. At the very strictest, they will at some point in the year (one of the holidays) leave a note in your room saying it needs to be done but then they won't ever follow that up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest