The Student Room Group

Apprenticeship after A-Levels

I'm starting sixth form in a few days. I'm taking History,G&P, Business and English Literature. I was wondering what apprenticeships i could do after finishing these A-Levels. Also, could I maybe do an engineering apprenticeship.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Qwerty96
I'm starting sixth form in a few days. I'm taking History,G&P, Business and English Literature. I was wondering what apprenticeships i could do after finishing these A-Levels. Also, could I maybe do an engineering apprenticeship.

I did A level Archaeology,Geology and ICT.
I'm currently doing a level 2 apprenticeship in Rail engineering, so yes its possible.
Reply 2
Original post by Alex17595
I did A level Archaeology,Geology and ICT.
I'm currently doing a level 2 apprenticeship in Rail engineering, so yes its possible.
Haven't you gone backwards? A levels are a level 3 qualification.
Reply 3
Original post by Namige
Haven't you gone backwards? A levels are a level 3 qualification.

Yeah but I actually get a job from the end of it. I did apply for the Network Rail level 3 one but failed the interview :frown:
Reply 4
Yeah but I actually get a job from the end of it. I did apply for the Network Rail level 3 one but failed the interview :frown:
But you also get a high paying job at the end of a degree.
Original post by Namige
But you also get a high paying job at the end of a degree.

Not always. In fact no guarantee nowadays.
Reply 6
Original post by unruly1986

Exactly, I only got CCD on my A level so couldn't go to uni if I wanted, and it was like £6k to do a foundation degree at college. Its also more interesting on day 3 we got to go out into the rail yard and have a go at carrying things around. A week later we changed some sleepers. I only get £30/week during training, but its normally 3 days in a classroom and supposedly for travel costs even though I have none.

I at least get work experience (at £100 shift) for 12 months I believe, in this economy decent work experience is priceless.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
There's quite a few higher apprenticeships out there for engineering- Airbus, Jaguar Land Rover, Rolls Royce, JCB and Bentley to name a few. Almost all ask for one science and one maths A level, though as a pre-requisite for the degree study. Application windows are open from around Jan at the earliest to May at the latest. I start with JLR next week! Can't wait.

Good luck with your search!
Exactly, I only got CCD on my A level so couldn't go to uni if I wanted, and it was like £6k to do a foundation degree at college. Its also more interesting on day 3 we got to go out into the rail yard and have a go at carrying things around. A week later we changed some sleepers. I only get £30/week during training, but its normally 3 days in a classroom and supposedly for travel costs even though I have none.

I at least get work experience (at £100 shift) for 12 months I believe, in this economy decent work experience is priceless.

Keep at it, keep studying even when your apprenticeship is over. I'd bet that in 5+ years you'll be earning more and have more experience than your university educated counterparts.

I left 6th form with CC in A Level Maths and Phys, C in AS Chem. Did an apprenticeship and now earn around £34k. I'm now looking at Higher Apprenticeships and Trainee Engineer programmes to both change industries and improve my quals. They are IMO a good way of learning and earning whilst setting up a career.

Only issue I will have is that I am going to take a £10k pay cut (if successful), however I think long term this is worth it.
Reply 9
Yes, no guarantee of a job immediately after graduation. But average lifetime earnings are always much higher for a graduate than a non-graduate.
Keep at it, keep studying even when your apprenticeship is over. I'd bet that in 5+ years you'll be earning more and have more experience than your university educated counterparts.

I left 6th form with CC in A Level Maths and Phys, C in AS Chem. Did an apprenticeship and now earn around £34k. I'm now looking at Higher Apprenticeships and Trainee Engineer programmes to both change industries and improve my quals. They are IMO a good way of learning and earning whilst setting up a career.

Only issue I will have is that I am going to take a £10k pay cut (if successful), however I think long term this is worth it.

I was thinking of working my way up the levels of apprenticeships (Network rail next year) depending on how well this year goes.

Im going for the different 'qualifications' to use on the job like lookouts, coss ect. Work my way up the ladder.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Namige
Yes, no guarantee of a job immediately after graduation. But average lifetime earnings are always much higher for a graduate than a non-graduate.

I don't doubt that has been the case in the past, but I suggest that the data used for that statement is old. Since labour got into power and sent everyone to university I think that the gulf in wages will have shrunk/gone.

Employers want experience over quals, apart from things such as doctors etc where you need the academics.
Reply 12
I don't doubt that has been the case in the past, but I suggest that the data used for that statement is old. Since labour got into power and sent everyone to university I think that the gulf in wages will have shrunk/gone.

Employers want experience over quals, apart from things such as doctors etc where you need the academics.
Yes I agree, graduates should only be needed for jobs that require the use of your brain while experience is far more useful for the jobs that don't.
For an engineering apprenticeship maths, science and IT subjects are often required. With your subjects at sixth form, you could try apprenticeships in business, customer service, sales and telesales, volunteer management, and arts media and publishing. They sound really interesting :smile: ! Enjoy sixth form!

:auto:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Namige
graduates should only be needed for jobs that require the use of your brain while experience is far more useful for the jobs that don't.

Someone's not seen an awful lot of the real world... :rolleyes:
Original post by Spridget
Someone's not seen an awful lot of the real world... :rolleyes:

Someone believes all the uni hype...
Hi,
I would like to know what your experience has been like with JLR.
I am 15 and will be sitting my IGCSEs soon.Would you suggest that I do my Alevels if I wanted to go for the degree course with JLR?
Any other suggestions you may have will be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Hi @Qwerty96

We've got lots of opportunities for students post A-Level at a Level 4/5 level and we also have some sponsored degree programmes - we're you get some great real work experience whilst we pay for you to go to University!

We have business, engineering and manufacturing apprenticeships - so lots for you to consider.

Check out our website which will give you some further information about what is available out there for you once you finish your A-Levels :smile:

http://ukearlycareers.thalesgroup.com/apprenticeships
Original post by DeadJustice
Hi,
I would like to know what your experience has been like with JLR.
I am 15 and will be sitting my IGCSEs soon.Would you suggest that I do my Alevels if I wanted to go for the degree course with JLR?
Any other suggestions you may have will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

They're currently looking at changing the JLR apprenticeship scheme to be hop on, hop off. So you could come in with just GCSEs on an advanced, then move onto a higher, then finally a degree apprenticeship.

You currently need A levels to do the degree apprenticeship. The gap from advanced to degree at the moment is quite large.

where did you do your apprenticeship? and what was it in?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending