The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1200
Original post by raveen789
Do they actually? I saw their FAQ that said that but when I phoned their admissions they were like what? they said they would either look at GCSEs or AS levels + Achieved A2 grades, My achieved AS grades were rather lame :s-smilie:

Did you not resit any of the AS exam? What were they? And I'm sure if you have your A2 grades AS Won't matter. I think it may have referred to people who are in year 13 and have achieved their AS which are better than their GCSEs

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Toppy
I'm happy to try to answer questions by the way!

I'm going to Southampton in September after the gap year I'm taking this year.

I had 4 rejections last year and also managed to cock up my A Levels by getting A*AB (these are the most irritating grades to get. Over-performing in one and losing out on the other don't cancel each other out apart from at Keele.) So I was a reapplicant AND a resitter. I resat my B in the January session and put it up to an A - meeting my conditional offer.

So far during my gap year I've volunteered at a care home and I now work as a HCA at a local outpatients department.

Hi, I know its been a while since you posted your comment but I wanted to ask you for some advice, as I am now literally in the same situation as you were (A*AB in my A-levels and 4 rejections last year). Congrats on getting your offer! :smile:
I called up Southampton and they say that they don't accept A*AB or resits. When you applied there, did you have to explain your situation to them or were they fine with it?
Does anyone know if any of the universities will give you a higher academic score if you have achieved the A-Levels? For example I know that Queens University Belfast give you full marks for academics if you have met the A level grades...
Original post by lmccormick
Does anyone know if any of the universities will give you a higher academic score if you have achieved the A-Levels? For example I know that Queens University Belfast give you full marks for academics if you have met the A level grades...

St Andrews and Dundee do.
Original post by Dr.Ugs
Did you not resit any of the AS exam? What were they? And I'm sure if you have your A2 grades AS Won't matter. I think it may have referred to people who are in year 13 and have achieved their AS which are better than their GCSEs

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah could be! I got aabcc at AS but i resat a lot in yr13 ended with AAAAa overall :smile:
Original post by TattyBoJangles
St Andrews and Dundee do.

Thanks! Do you know how they score it? Because when I rang St Andrews she just said it was a small advantage but wouldn't explain how :colondollar:
Reply 1206
Yeah could be! I got aabcc at AS but i resat a lot in yr13 ended with AAAAa overall :smile:

So you don't have any problems there :smile: well done!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dr.Ugs
So you don't have any problems there :smile: well done!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well if they look at the top 3 AS levels then its just aab which won't be as competitive as aaa :/
Reply 1208
Well if they look at the top 3 AS levels then its just aab which won't be as competitive as aaa :/

You should ask them. If you got straight As at A2 there isn't any way you would be at a disadvantage because of your ASs coz they are "cash-ins"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lmccormick
Thanks! Do you know how they score it? Because when I rang St Andrews she just said it was a small advantage but wouldn't explain how :colondollar:

Not entirely, as in, I don't know how many more 'points' they give to achieved grades, but I know they put a fair amount of emphasis on academics and so achieved grades give a higher academic score.
How does st Andrews and barts mark your application?
Original post by Green Bubblegum
How does st Andrews and barts mark your application?

http://medicine.st-andrews.ac.uk/prospectus/#

Unsure exactly about Barts, but I'm going there for my clinical years!
http://medicine.st-andrews.ac.uk/prospectus/#

Unsure exactly about Barts, but I'm going there for my clinical years!

With A*AAb . I am safe?
With A*AAb . I am safe?

A-Level wise, yes. Depends on your GCSEs / UKCAT after that.
A-Level wise, yes. Depends on your GCSEs / UKCAT after that.

Do these unis give extra points for achieved A-Level grades? Most med unis don't.
Do these unis give extra points for achieved A-Level grades? Most med unis don't.

Read above - yes, St Andrews do.

No idea for Barts, didn't apply there.
Read above - yes, St Andrews do.

No idea for Barts, didn't apply there.

Ok we'll thanks for your help!
I will reaserch more into it.
Last question! You must be annoyed. :biggrin:
Which unis 'overlook' your GCSE grades if you have achieved your alevels?
Reply 1217
Ok we'll thanks for your help!
I will reaserch more into it.
Last question! You must be annoyed. :biggrin:
Which unis 'overlook' your GCSE grades if you have achieved your alevels?

What were your GCSE grades? Manchester definitely do, they just need your reference to say your a late developer :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1218
Hi all,
I'm trying to find out which med schools are UKCAT heavy- so far ive got

Leicester (w/ point scoring system)
Glasgow (need approx 670+)
Newcastle/durham (700+ really)
Manchester (660-680)
St Georges (use scores from all subtests separate- not sure about average needed)

I've not done my ukcat yet but im hoping to match/ increase on my 680 last year. Does anyone know any other medical schools worth looking into? :smile:
Original post by richtea5
Hi all,
I'm trying to find out which med schools are UKCAT heavy- so far ive got

Leicester (w/ point scoring system)
Glasgow (need approx 670+)
Newcastle/durham (700+ really)
Manchester (660-680)
St Georges (use scores from all subtests separate- not sure about average needed)

I've not done my ukcat yet but im hoping to match/ increase on my 680 last year. Does anyone know any other medical schools worth looking into? :smile:

KCL if you've got good GCSEs (in terms of number of A*s)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending