The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dynamic74
Yep, I got 86% for Chemistry last year. Currently im planning to do S3 but am skeptical over S4 and whether I could learn it in time. Looking through my friends M1 book last year it actually looked quite interesting. What about yourself?

Well im thinking of doing S3 and S4, I find statistics easier compared to core and I think it would help me with economics :biggrin:

Original post by NesQuiK.
I taught myself all 6 of the AS/A2 further maths modules in less than a year as I took up the whole Alevel in my final year alongside my other four A2s (so it didnt physically fit into my timetable).

If you really want to study economics at university, I feel choosing to self studying some more relevant maths modules because you think they will help you do better once you get to university, is exactly the type of thing which will impress admissions tutors. By doing a module by yourself you are demonstrating you can work independently, are driven, and also that you must be fairly intelligent to go it alone, so just work hard guys and you'll reap the rewards!

For my Uni application do I put in my PS i am taking an As in FM? or will they know that when I apply.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by KD35
A lot of people get offers from one and not the other, if he isn't too worried about missing the grades, I think putting both LSE and Cambridge down isn't a bad idea, as long as he has a reasonable chance of getting an offer.

I'm confident of getting A*AA, but it's the offer that I haven't got a clue about. I'm not the strongest of applicants so if I was to choose a backup, should I go for another one other than Bristol?
Reply 802
Original post by NedStark
I'm confident of getting A*AA, but it's the offer that I haven't got a clue about. I'm not the strongest of applicants so if I was to choose a backup, should I go for another one other than Bristol?

I'd say apply for both.
I wasn't a great applicant, my PS was absolutely terrible and my GCSEs were pretty poor but I knew I'd exceed A*AA so I applied to all high ranking unis in hope of getting one offer.

I applied to Cam, LSE, UCL, Imperial (stupidly applied for maths with nothing in my ps about it) and Nottingham.

LSE & Imperial rejected
Cam pooled but rejected
UCL Notts offers.
Reply 803
What sort of maths stuff could i talk about in the PStatement?

I do maths at a level... i like it to an extent.... but aside from reading books, any ways to show im mathematically capable?
Original post by KD35
I'd say apply for both.
I wasn't a great applicant, my PS was absolutely terrible and my GCSEs were pretty poor but I knew I'd exceed A*AA so I applied to all high ranking unis in hope of getting one offer.

I applied to Cam, LSE, UCL, Imperial (stupidly applied for maths with nothing in my ps about it) and Nottingham.

LSE & Imperial rejected
Cam pooled but rejected
UCL Notts offers.

Were these for all for economics (except imperial)?

if you don't mind me asking, what were your GCSE and A level grades?
Original post by Jkizer
What sort of maths stuff could i talk about in the PStatement?

I do maths at a level... i like it to an extent.... but aside from reading books, any ways to show im mathematically capable?

don't show your capability for Maths in your PS - your grades will do that. you gotta use the PS to show your enthusiasm for elements of Maths that interest you and how you feel they apply to Economics and WHY they interest you.
Hey! What Uni's are people applying to and what AS results did you get?
Original post by ellenabethx
Hey! What Uni's are people applying to and what AS results did you get?

AAAB in Maths, Further Maths, Economics and History. Hope to go up to an A in History after a remark since I was 2 UMS off the higher grade. I'll probably be predicted 2 A*'s and 2 A's, but maybe 3 A*'s and an A depending on which teachers will make the final decision.

I'm applying to: Durham, Bristol, York, Birmingham and either UCL or Bath
Original post by robin1125
AAAB in Maths, Further Maths, Economics and History. Hope to go up to an A in History after a remark since I was 2 UMS off the higher grade. I'll probably be predicted 2 A*'s and 2 A's, but maybe 3 A*'s and an A depending on which teachers will make the final decision.

I'm applying to: Durham, Bristol, York, Birmingham and either UCL or Bath

Didn't you sit A2 maths a year early?
Reply 809
Original post by Fas
don't show your capability for Maths in your PS - your grades will do that. you gotta use the PS to show your enthusiasm for elements of Maths that interest you and how you feel they apply to Economics and WHY they interest you.

Alright so in the PS, you should write something like 'I have especially enjoyed the use of algebra in mathematics.... due to the real life applications such as the yyy theory'

Is this the sort of sentence you are mentioning? I'm finding it difficult to properly word my maths xD
Original post by Jkizer
Alright so in the PS, you should write something like 'I have especially enjoyed the use of algebra in mathematics.... due to the real life applications such as the yyy theory'

Is this the sort of sentence you are mentioning? I'm finding it difficult to properly word my maths xD

sort of yeah :smile:
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
Didn't you sit A2 maths a year early?

Yeah but it's not been cashed in so I don't think it goes down as a completed A2. It's kind of beneficial to me since I missed out on the A* due to messing up C3, but I guess it's less beneficial to some of my friends who got A*'s. Not entirely sure how it's counted, but from what I can tell from what my Maths teacher told me, is that it is counted as an incomplete A2 and the Further Maths as an incomplete AS (as neither are cashed in yet).

I've seen some discussion here before about this being done differently in private schools and state schools, but if anyone would be willing to explain what it really means then I'd be very grateful.
I got in for A2, but I dont know my predicted grades, i asked my geography teacher about mine and told him i was 4 marks away from an A and he said he would probably predict me a B D:
Hopefully he changes his mind or the other teachers give me better ones >:/
Original post by robin1125
Yeah but it's not been cashed in so I don't think it goes down as a completed A2. It's kind of beneficial to me since I missed out on the A* due to messing up C3, but I guess it's less beneficial to some of my friends who got A*'s. Not entirely sure how it's counted, but from what I can tell from what my Maths teacher told me, is that it is counted as an incomplete A2 and the Further Maths as an incomplete AS (as neither are cashed in yet).

I've seen some discussion here before about this being done differently in private schools and state schools, but if anyone would be willing to explain what it really means then I'd be very grateful.

I'm guessing you go to a private school then huh. Private schools get the option of cashing in A Levels or not but state schools get no option but to cash in since they get funded on that. It's quite unfair, which is why I think more unis should ask for UMS, but oh well.
Is anyone doing an EPQ? If so, how are you finding it?

I am, finding it incredibly tedious, what about you?
I am, finding it incredibly tedious, what about you?

Same, finding it difficult to complete alongside my personal statement. My school slapped a deadline of Oct 1 on both. Genius, right?
I'm guessing you go to a private school then huh. Private schools get the option of cashing in A Levels or not but state schools get no option but to cash in since they get funded on that. It's quite unfair, which is why I think more unis should ask for UMS, but oh well.

Yeah. It does seem unfair, but as long since I can use it, I will. It's kind of annoying for friends that did get A*'s, as it isn't properly recorded in their application, but I think teachers will end up putting it in their references so uni's end up finding out
Same, finding it difficult to complete alongside my personal statement. My school slapped a deadline of Oct 1 on both. Genius, right?

Haha, I have to get both of mine done by halfway through September, fortunately I only have 750 words left to do for the EPQ so it shouldn't be too bad

Finished the first draft a few days ago so I have a break from it between now and the first draft deadline next week.

The quality of my life has increased dramatically so far.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending