The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NedStark
Is anyone doing an EPQ? If so, how are you finding it?

I'm finding it difficult to really get it done. I was doing really well with planning and had about 800-1000 words done in the first week, but then went on a two week holiday, and have since lost most of my motivation. Friends that are also doing EPQ's seem to be struggling to finish them too, and one has just completely given up on doing his.

I seem to have an annoyingly early deadline as you do, and I'd much rather do it over the course of UVI or have been given the chance to start it earlier.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by robin1125
Yeah. It does seem unfair, but as long since I can use it, I will. It's kind of annoying for friends that did get A*'s, as it isn't properly recorded in their application, but I think teachers will end up putting it in their references so uni's end up finding out

So on your UCAS form will unis just see AAB? Since technically you haven't got a qualification in Further Maths yet.
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
So on your UCAS form will unis just see AAB? Since technically you haven't got a qualification in Further Maths yet.

I don't think so. I think S1 and S2 are used to make the AS in Further Maths, but I'll need to check with my Maths teacher. I have taken FP1, so I'm guessing that will be included in my UCAS application too, but I'm not certain and I was hoping someone would be able to explain it to me.
Is anyone doing an EPQ? If so, how are you finding it?

completed my first draft today , 4998 words long and it's absolute crap. how about you ?
Same, finding it difficult to complete alongside my personal statement. My school slapped a deadline of Oct 1 on both. Genius, right?

i have a deadline of tomorrow. IT COULD BE WORSE :tongue:
Original post by Fas
completed my first draft today , 4998 words long and it's absolute crap. how about you ?

I'm on zero words and counting. To be honest, I thought I had until November which was plenty of time but my school love springing the bad news on us. And considering I'm one of the very few hoping to meet the Oxbridge deadline and doing the EPQ in my school, I'm in this mess alone.

I mean only 12 people out of 200-ish got AAAB or higher, which is what my school consider good enough to be very strongly encouraged to do 4 subjects to A2.

But mini-rant over, I'm to blame but I'm just hoping to write 5000 words of decent quality. I mean with the EPQ we get marks on planning and paperwork. Only a large chunk is content.

Original post by Fas
i have a deadline of tomorrow. IT COULD BE WORSE :tongue:

Ahh I feel for you!
(edited 10 years ago)
I still have to finish my book but just can't be bothered for the life of me.
Reply 827
I'm doing an EPQ too [on fractals and their applications, one large section being economics and finance]. I've hit 5500 words, but I have only got just about halfway! I'm screwed, considering I have to perfect it, and my presentation by October!
Am I the only one not doing an EPQ :colondollar:
Reply 829
Original post by blazekid75
Am I the only one not doing an EPQ :colondollar:

Even if you are, it's nothing to worry about. I thought at first it would be super beneficial, but months and hundreds of hours of brain pain later, I learned that it's nothing more than a talking point for a couple of lines in a personal statement, or for an interview, neither of which even puts one at a certain advantage over those who haven't done the EPQ
Original post by oyyoyy
I'm doing an EPQ too [on fractals and their applications, one large section being economics and finance]. I've hit 5500 words, but I have only got just about halfway! I'm screwed, considering I have to perfect it, and my presentation by October!

does the presentation even get marked ? i heard it was just the Log and the essay
Reply 831
Original post by Fas
does the presentation even get marked ? i heard it was just the Log and the essay

It is marked, it comes under the Review section [AO4] and includes some evaluation of the entire dissertation, and it is marked based on that, also your responsiveness to audience questions is also marked
Original post by oyyoyy
Even if you are, it's nothing to worry about. I thought at first it would be super beneficial, but months and hundreds of hours of brain pain later, I learned that it's nothing more than a talking point for a couple of lines in a personal statement, or for an interview, neither of which even puts one at a certain advantage over those who haven't done the EPQ

Ahah ok then.
Have you guys started/done your personal statements yet? I haven't even brainstormed yet :colondollar: Any ideas? What to include and what NOT to include :
:confused:
Ahah ok then.
Have you guys started/done your personal statements yet? I haven't even brainstormed yet :colondollar: Any ideas? What to include and what NOT to include :

I'm not doing an EPQ either but I have got my PS through several drafts though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 834
Ahah ok then.

LOL I thought I was the only one! My deadline was the day before we left for Summer, but now I have till the end of the week to make one from scratch :s-smilie:

What to include I guess would be our undying love for econ, a little on work experience, and a bit on further reading, and some talk on why you love maths and the mathematical nature of econ [and a couple of lines of EPQ wouldn't hurt either!]

Lastly, some extra-curricular, stuff to show generic skills like leadership/responsibility etc, and final summery, and that should be fine. Unless you're applying to LSE, then in that case, sprinkle some fairy dust on it, since they analyse the PSs the harshest out of most unis.
Original post by oyyoyy
LOL I thought I was the only one! My deadline was the day before we left for Summer, but now I have till the end of the week to make one from scratch :s-smilie:

What to include I guess would be our undying love for econ, a little on work experience, and a bit on further reading, and some talk on why you love maths and the mathematical nature of econ [and a couple of lines of EPQ wouldn't hurt either!]

Lastly, some extra-curricular, stuff to show generic skills like leadership/responsibility etc, and final summery, and that should be fine. Unless you're applying to LSE, then in that case, sprinkle some fairy dust on it, since they analyse the PSs the harshest out of most unis.

Ahah i should really start mine...@_@
im just waiting for predicted grades,but i guess ill try thinking of ideas :confused:
Original post by oyyoyy

They say* finish it by autumn, but if your school is anything like mine, it's not really a strict deadline as such. They just want you to get it out of the way so you could concentrate on A2s/interviews etc. I did mine in March(was pushing it though).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by oyyoyy
It is marked, it comes under the Review section [AO4] and includes some evaluation of the entire dissertation, and it is marked based on that, also your responsiveness to audience questions is also marked

oh for ****s sake man :frown:

my responsiveness is gonna be abysmal , i'll be like a rabbit caught in a speeding car's headlights.
Ahah i should really start mine...@_@
im just waiting for predicted grades,but i guess ill try thinking of ideas :confused:

start the PS before the predicted grades , what your predicted shouldn't really affect how your PS will be tailored ?
How many people here are doing Target 2.0 with their schools?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending