The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster Uni: Official Students 13/14!

Scroll to see replies

does anyone know where i can get a good second-hand bicycle in lancaster? and does the university have those bicycle parking spaces and the locks? :biggrin:
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 521
Original post by Orthrus

Officially, just fancy bedding, and photos to put up on the corkboard!

But between you and me, i got some white tac for posters that i've tried out around my house's walls :shh:

I've got white tac just in case of emergencies... aka something needs to be stuck to my wall, but apart from that nothing really... My friend's bought lights, posters all sorts of crazy stuff and I'm sitting here with my white tac!
Reply 522
Original post by tiffanycallysta
does anyone know where i can get a good second-hand bicycle in lancaster? and does the university have those bicycle parking spaces and the locks? :biggrin:

They have bike sheds, which is good! In terms of bikes, the best thing to do is look on gumtree, local papers, local shops because that's where you'll find the cheapest ones!
Original post by belle11
They have bike sheds, which is good! In terms of bikes, the best thing to do is look on gumtree, local papers, local shops because that's where you'll find the cheapest ones!

thank you so much for the info! :biggrin: helped a lot :smile:
Original post by Prendah
Hm, is buying a purple card worth it? Does it actually get used?

To get into Sugar, yes, and you do actually get discounts with it. LUSU send you an email on the "offers of the week" and sometimes you'll see posters on campus telling you about some Purple discount or other.

I got my NUS Extra card for a reduced price when I got my Purple card. Been used a few times for cheap Maccys on a night out :colondollar: as well as student discounts shopping.
Reply 525
Original post by belle11
I've got white tac just in case of emergencies... aka something needs to be stuck to my wall, but apart from that nothing really... My friend's bought lights, posters all sorts of crazy stuff and I'm sitting here with my white tac!

Well if you want to get one up on your mate, you could always get strobe lights and finger paint the actual walls :lol: are you planning on getting some posters of stuff you like?
Anyone in the same boat as me and has not yet had confirmation off Student Finance? I applied way on time too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 527
Original post by XTRdigital
I would strongly recommend climbing, it is such a fun sport. I have a friend who was the social sec last year for the club, and they say that the chancellor, who is a climber, joins them sometimes to climb and trips out. The wall there looks so good, it was one of the reasons of applying to lancaster (all my unis happened to have a climbing wall) :smile: I'm quite and outdoorsy and adventurous person so might see the there for some of the clubs

It looks really fun, I'm really not a sporty person and want to see if I can get into some of the unusual sports to keep fit and have a good time of course, hopefully I can pluck up the courage to just pop along to a few things. The only time I've done anything remotely like this was on a school trip ten years ago where it was sort of an adventure thing, I think we did assailing, a giant zip wire thing and allsorts I really loved it and would like to try all sorts of new things :smile:

Anyway hi there :P

What course are you doing and what college?
Reply 528
Original post by Orthrus
It's fine, they're missing out on me if anything! I didn't even want to work in any of those 3 asda positions anyway... :rolleyes:

I remember doing that capsize thing at a kayaking club a few years back - i honestly thought my instructor was going mad :tongue: sounds like you're quite keen on water sports? You know, other than climbing and... Wait, "keep up with drawing naked people"?! :eek:

Hmm, i think i want a cool new thing that i've never done before like sailing or mountaineeing, maybe try for football or cricket to keep me fit, and a nerdy one to connect to my inner nerd :')

I've never done any kind of water sports before they just look fun and really different so I need to be brave and have a go at a few things, I really want to make the most of my time at uni. Yes drawing naked people is amusing and it's always a conversation starter :P but don't worry I won't ask you to model :biggrin:

your inner nerd? and what is this nerdy sport if such a thing exists :redface:
Reply 529
Original post by katie55
I've never done any kind of water sports before they just look fun and really different so I need to be brave and have a go at a few things, I really want to make the most of my time at uni. Yes drawing naked people is amusing and it's always a conversation starter :P but don't worry I won't ask you to model :biggrin:

your inner nerd? and what is this nerdy sport if such a thing exists :redface:

That's definitely the spirit to come in with :biggrin: It's why i could never stay at home or even in the same city for uni... it just feels like a bit of a cop out. Hahaha, that's certainly one way of making an lasting impression with people! Also, i'm not sure if i should be more relieved or insulted, so thanks i guess? :lol:

Well, Quidditch would probably qualify... But no, i meant just a nerdy society, not a nerdy sport :tongue:
Reply 530
Original post by Orthrus
That's definitely the spirit to come in with :biggrin: It's why i could never stay at home or even in the same city for uni... it just feels like a bit of a cop out. Hahaha, that's certainly one way of making an lasting impression with people! Also, i'm not sure if i should be more relieved or insulted, so thanks i guess? :lol:

Well, Quidditch would probably qualify... But no, i meant just a nerdy society, not a nerdy sport :tongue:

I couldn't imagine living at home it's the entire experience which makes it not just the lectures but the halls and friends and all sorts, so it's something you can remember.

You only draw the models which are used to people drawing them naked it would be far too awkward drawing someone I actually know.

ohhh the Harry Potter one, I'm actually considering that but mostly because they sort you into a house in the first meeting and I'm curious how they do that :P I did go to the studio tour yesterday though :smile:

So the chess society then?
Reply 531
Original post by katie55
I couldn't imagine living at home it's the entire experience which makes it not just the lectures but the halls and friends and all sorts, so it's something you can remember.

You only draw the models which are used to people drawing them naked it would be far too awkward drawing someone I actually know.

ohhh the Harry Potter one, I'm actually considering that but mostly because they sort you into a house in the first meeting and I'm curious how they do that :P I did go to the studio tour yesterday though :smile:

So the chess society then?

I know, i tried explaining that to my friends, but they don't like leaving their comfort zones. Fair enough, the local unis where good for their course, but still, it'll be like they're still going to college really :hmmm:

It would be pretty awful if you had to draw someone you knew. Your options would either be hastily change whatever you were planning on doing into a bog standard portrait, or never look the person in the eyes again!

Oh god, don't mention chess clubs. I was a passionate member of one up till year 7 :ashamed: They probably place a hat on your head and shout out a house name depending on what colours you're wearing :tongue: And yeah, the hp society is definitely shortlisted now i know that! (i won't lie, it was already in the running)

Really? I've always wanted to go, was it any good?
Reply 532
Original post by Orthrus
Awh, bless you, when you say that i imagine the week of A2 when i was sat next to this crazy gifted AS kid in maths... I've never felt so slow in my life :lol:
It's harder when everyone's going out and going 'oh, you should come along *when* you turn 18' -_- Otherwise, i didn't really notice amidst exams and stuff
Hahaha, and you call yourself a northerner? :rolleyes: (3 weeks to arrival and college patriotism is already setting in :tongue:)

So happy to be going to uni and getting away from it! Mmmm true that must be hard! I felt sorry for people who were born in July/August, who weren't 18 when we had prom :') although to be fair once you've reached 18 it doesn't really matter anymore :') waiting any longer than January would have been doubly frustrating for me, since my 18th birthday present was a car, and since I passed my test August 2012 it already felt like I'd waited ages, spesh since when my brother was turning 18 he had less of a gap between passing and the car and his birthday is October :') ( I know it seems petty to be annoyed about having to wait when you're getting a car but don't judge! )
I am a northerner!!!! Just my temperature sensing part of my brain doesn't know :frown: (college patriotism is da best)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 533
Original post by HannahS95
So happy to be going to uni and getting away from it! Mmmm true that must be hard! I felt sorry for people who were born in July/August, who weren't 18 when we had prom :') although to be fair once you've reached 18 it doesn't really matter anymore :') waiting any longer than January would have been doubly frustrating for me, since my 18th birthday present was a car, and since I passed my test August 2012 it already felt like I'd waited ages, spesh since when my brother was turning 18 he had less of a gap between passing and the car and his birthday is October :') ( I know it seems petty to be annoyed about having to wait when you're getting a car but don't judge! )
I am a northerner!!!! Just my temperature sensing part of my brain doesn't know :frown: (college patriotism is da best)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh, you had a sixth form prom?! Ours crashed and burned in planning, so we had a set of "completely unaffiliated to college" group outings instead :')
Yeah, once you're 18, pretty much everything is allowed... the only thing to even be able to look forward tonow is being able to buy knives at 21! I know your pain, my sisters and friends' birthdays mostly fall in september and november so i had to wait almost a year before i turned! -_- i didn't have a car waiting for me though! (Pfft, Just imagine waiting 6 months longer, and NOT having a big gift at the end of it :rolleyes:)
Hmmm, that's 25% of being a northerner last time i checked! :tongue: (We're the gryffindor of lancaster, obviously)
(edited 10 years ago)
hi guys, i just read the checklist from the iLancaster app and one of the things to be done is to "choose and enrol on optional modules before you arrive". what does this mean, how do i do it and do i really have to do it now? :confused:
Reply 535
Original post by Orthrus
Well if you want to get one up on your mate, you could always get strobe lights and finger paint the actual walls :lol: are you planning on getting some posters of stuff you like?

Yeah definitely going to paint my room with UV paint :wink: I was thinking about it, but I don't know what I'd actually get. I've been looking, but you know what it's like when you're looking for something- you can't actually find anything!
Reply 536
Original post by tiffanycallysta
hi guys, i just read the checklist from the iLancaster app and one of the things to be done is to "choose and enrol on optional modules before you arrive". what does this mean, how do i do it and do i really have to do it now? :confused:

Each year you have to study 120 credits worth of modules.Your main course wont make up 120 credits on its own, so you pick up modules either from other modules on your main course, or from a different course altogether to make up the difference.

You can't pick these modules until the 16th though and you can even do it in your first week at Uni I think.

If you log on to the website where you pre-registered, you should be able to see the compulsory modules that you're already enrolled on and how many credits they make up.
Original post by katie55
It looks really fun, I'm really not a sporty person and want to see if I can get into some of the unusual sports to keep fit and have a good time of course, hopefully I can pluck up the courage to just pop along to a few things. The only time I've done anything remotely like this was on a school trip ten years ago where it was sort of an adventure thing, I think we did assailing, a giant zip wire thing and allsorts I really loved it and would like to try all sorts of new things :smile:

Anyway hi there :P

What course are you doing and what college?

Hi i'm doing Mphys theoretical physics and in county collage ! What about you?
Reply 538
Original post by Orthrus
I know, i tried explaining that to my friends, but they don't like leaving their comfort zones. Fair enough, the local unis where good for their course, but still, it'll be like they're still going to college really :hmmm:

It would be pretty awful if you had to draw someone you knew. Your options would either be hastily change whatever you were planning on doing into a bog standard portrait, or never look the person in the eyes again!

Oh god, don't mention chess clubs. I was a passionate member of one up till year 7 :ashamed: They probably place a hat on your head and shout out a house name depending on what colours you're wearing :tongue: And yeah, the hp society is definitely shortlisted now i know that! (i won't lie, it was already in the running)

Really? I've always wanted to go, was it any good?

I could draw wearing sunglasses and blindfold them, makes it much better :P

awwww a little chess geek :smile: I'm really rubbish at chess but I do love monopoly so if my flat are nice we might be able to buy monopoly and play :P

It does sound quite an interesting society I may go along :smile:
It was actually really good it's amazing how much they actually made for the films and how much details is in everything, if you ever go get the audio head set you learn so much more.
Reply 539
Original post by XTRdigital
Hi i'm doing Mphys theoretical physics and in county collage ! What about you?

I'm doing Marketing Management and in Grizedale. So is yours a 4 year degree or are you just doing the Masters?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending