The Student Room Group

Pregnancy and Parenting Society Mark II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Got a doctors appointment this morning about it. Anyone got any experience/advice of what they'll do at the first GP appt (not midwife)?

They will probably chat to you about how you are feeling, check when your last period was, check if any significant medical history which may mean that you need a consultant as well as a midwife and advice you re: diet and folic acid/vit D. They will then write to the midwife.
Original post by randdom
They will probably chat to you about how you are feeling, check when your last period was, check if any significant medical history which may mean that you need a consultant as well as a midwife and advice you re: diet and folic acid/vit D. They will then write to the midwife.

Thanks, I started on pregnancy care vitamins today which I think includes folic acid :smile:
Reply 1082
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks, I started on pregnancy care vitamins today which I think includes folic acid :smile:

It should do... but double check that it does - folic acid is the most important of them & ideally started pre-conception.
You can get tiny folic acid tablets by themselves which are crunchable unlike the horse tablet sized multivitamin types - handy if you're vomity.

I bypassed the GP appointment & just self-referred at the hospital I wanted via their website - then received an appointment for 'booking' (where the Midwife runs through the history, organizes baseline blood tests, takes baseline parameters like weight/blood pressure/urine talks about screening tests & books scan etc.) at about 9-10 weeks. Although had gone for a private early scan a week or so before that.

Good luck!
Anon 12 congratulations on the pregnancy :smile: x
Original post by Elles
It should do... but double check that it does - folic acid is the most important of them & ideally started pre-conception.
You can get tiny folic acid tablets by themselves which are crunchable unlike the horse tablet sized multivitamin types - handy if you're vomity.

I bypassed the GP appointment & just self-referred at the hospital I wanted via their website - then received an appointment for 'booking' (where the Midwife runs through the history, organizes baseline blood tests, takes baseline parameters like weight/blood pressure/urine talks about screening tests & books scan etc.) at about 9-10 weeks. Although had gone for a private early scan a week or so before that.

Good luck!

Thanks :smile: the GP wasn't quite sure how the referral thing goes (she's a foreign locum) but the receptionist helped so I've been referred to a midwife and had my blood pressure checked. Got to wait for the midwife now which is kinda exciting really :smile:

I think I might switch to just folic acid, sickness is starting to kick in properly so I'm going to have a hard time with the huge vitamin things. Thanks

Original post by PinkMobilePhone
Anon 12 congratulations on the pregnancy :smile: x

Thank you :smile: I'll be turning anon off soon once we kind of go public with the pregnancy, once we get past the 12 week stage probably... might be a bit sooner :smile: At the minute I'm just wary that someone might recognise me and tell my parents, because they don't know and I'm dreading telling them. Think they might tell me to shove it, but it's fine because my OH's family are more likely to be supportive, and all it means is my parents will be missing out on a grandchild. If they're not happy to support my decision - as an adult - to go through with this pregnancy, then I don't want them around when the good bits happen.
nibble ginger biscuits for the morning sickness.

I hope your parents decide to be supportive. It really would be a shame if they missed out on being part of their grandchild's life.
Thanks, going to get some ginger nuts. Lollipops are helping a lot. Cravings are crazy, but seem to be settling on white bread and salted butter.
How exciting!

I'm glad this thread still gets some action. We are pretty much officially 'trying' now, and have also just moved into a new house which we're decorating, so even though I'm not expecting I still feel like I'm nesting.
Can't be bothered with anon anymore. Those who I was worried about know anyway so it doesn't matter.

Told my parents. They're disappointed in me and want me to have an abortion. Just feel so rubbish right now :sad:
Original post by madders94
Can't be bothered with anon anymore. Those who I was worried about know anyway so it doesn't matter.

Told my parents. They're disappointed in me and want me to have an abortion. Just feel so rubbish right now :sad:

I had a feeling the anon might be you :ninja:

At the end of the day, it is completely your decision. Don't let anybody force you into making a decision that you might regret further on down the line. Whatever you decide to do, make sure you're doing it because you want to :hugs:
Totally agree with the above. I am dreading telling my mum (whenever that might be), but what helped me was realising that, to be honest, whether I have kids at 24 or 30, she would still be negative about it. So, why not now?

(((hugs)))) it isnt up to your parents what you do, nor can they tell you what they want you to do.They'll come around,and if they dont then they are going to be missing out on their grandchild.
Kater - good luck with TTC. It took me 8 months of actively trying to conceive Alex (my second baby) so don't be disheartened if it takes a little while. You could get lucky though and fall pregnant first try :smile:
I'm sorry you feel that your mum would be negative about it. Does she not want grandchildren?

madders - that's rubbish chuck :frown: how unsupportive of her. It's your baby hun. If you're happy then that's what matters. Don't live your life for other people. You only get one life, you have to live it the way you want to. Your mother has her own life to concern herself with. I know it might totally suck that she's being this way, but try and ignore it. She may change her mind anyway - it could just be a gut reaction. When the baby comes along, do you honestly think she wouldn't want to have a relationship with her grandchild? I doubt it x

My news - Nathan has a cold. It's getting better but he has had it for 3 weeks and it hasn't gone yet. He's got his first immunisation jabs tomorrow and I'm considering delaying them until he's better. Any opinions anybody?

We're preparing for Jason and Lydia's birthdays. Jason will be 4 on 24th, and Lydia will be 8 on 25th. They're having a joint party at a local soft play area.

Lydia is getting an imac for her birthday. We've not bought it or anything though (they cost a fortune!), it's mine. My hubby bought himself a mac pro, so I've got his old imac, so Lydia is getting mine. She doesn't know she's getting it though. We've just been setting up parental controls on it. Lydia is animal mad, so I can just imagine she'd type something like "cute pussy" into google, and heaven forbid what she'd end up seeing!

Other than that, not much to report. Lydia and Alex were back at school last week. Jason went back to nursery today. Nathan is 2 months old tomorrow. Time bloody flies.

My lovely family :

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1231260_387482818045219_585550238_n.jpg

cute squishy :

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/1175135_385723514887816_126507784_n.jpg
(edited 10 years ago)

I'll echo all the other comments, for what's it is worth :smile:
Thanks everyone. I'm really lost and don't quite know what to do, I just want things to go back to normal. Parents are adamant that I can't raise a child and don't want to see OH again, OH desperately wants us to keep and raise it, and I have no idea because I know any decision I make will affect everyone I love for the rest of my life and I don't want to hurt anyone :frown:
Thanks everyone. I'm really lost and don't quite know what to do, I just want things to go back to normal. Parents are adamant that I can't raise a child and don't want to see OH again, OH desperately wants us to keep and raise it, and I have no idea because I know any decision I make will affect everyone I love for the rest of my life and I don't want to hurt anyone :frown:

You want this baby and so does your OH. Isn't that the most important thing?

Put it this way, what will you regret more? Having a baby that both you and your OH want, and will love and cherish, but having to put up with disapproving parents? Or getting rid of a wanted baby just to please your parents?
You're not a child any more chica. Your life is your own.
I think I want this baby but I feel right now like I can't be sure. Need to talk to some people before I can think straight - uni counsellors, Brook etc. Right now I feel like we could make it work but maybe that's because I'm watching Knocked Up and their situation is weirder than mine, and maybe later I'll have another wobble :sad: argh why is life so confusing?
I think I want this baby but I feel right now like I can't be sure. Need to talk to some people before I can think straight - uni counsellors, Brook etc. Right now I feel like we could make it work but maybe that's because I'm watching Knocked Up and their situation is weirder than mine, and maybe later I'll have another wobble :sad: argh why is life so confusing?

If your parents were being supportive, how would you feel? Would it change things, or would you still feel like you didn't know?

With regard to my mum, PMP - no, she definitely does not want grandchildren. Tbh, my mum's not wanting grandkids is really only going to be the tip of the iceberg when I have kids; she's got (undiagnosed) fairly severe personality issues and a drinking problem, and so it's going to be tricky deciding what to do with regard to her being around them. My OH hates her, and wouldn't want her to have anything to do with them (she was/still can be a fairly awful parent to me), but I would feel strange not letting her ever meet them - particularly as I am still in contact with her and when my kids were of a certain age asking 'who are you on the phone to?/why haven't we ever spoken to grandma?' etc. would be odd. I obviously wouldn't leave her alone with them and I wouldn't want to be seeing her with them in a situation where we can't get out ASAP, but I'm unsure how it's going to pan out and also how she will react to the fact that I won't be seeing her as much with them as I would with my dad, who is a pretty normal person - it'll probably only make things worse.

Anyway, I guess we'll just have to see.
If my parents were being supportive, I'm fairly sure I'd want to keep it absolutely, but I can't be sure if that's just because if they were being supportive, they wouldn't have made me look at it realistically?

We managed to discuss it today with no angriness or "you definitely can't do it".... just a warning of how much things will change, which I already know it will change... can't imagine the extent, but from what I've read, no-one's ever completely ready for a baby so :dontknow:
Sorry, that was me - posted as anon by accident :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest