The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7340
Original post by L'Evil Fish
They have a French Work Experience Trip... But it's in October. How short a notice is that?!

Ooh, that'd be fun, but why on earth do they give you such little time to prepare? :confused:
Original post by AquisM
Ooh, that'd be fun, but why on earth do they give you such little time to prepare? :confused:

I won't do it anyway, my mum would have to house someone :mmm:
Reply 7342
:tongue:

French class... Only boy :rofl: and the other kids were so crap :emo: :frown: and they were all amazed at my crappy French. Have to translate a whole brick of text for Friday, did most in class, might ask for some help!

:rofl: ahahhahaha pissed myself at that last paragraph!! :lol:
Original post by Gilo98
:rofl: ahahhahaha pissed myself at that last paragraph!! :lol:

Which bit?
Reply 7344
Which bit?

'The other kids were so crap' ahahhaah
Original post by BaconEmperor
I know first-hand what it's like to be stuck choosing between the sciences and languages. I was always set on doing a Chemistry-related degree and for AS I did Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths and French but as the UCAS deadline approached I began to realise that I's be much happy doing a languages degree because I didn't like experiments in Chemistry. Then I realised that I'd probably have to study literature in a language degree which I'd hate just as much id not more than doing experiments so now I'm about to start a degree in Economics with Russian. My point is even with mostly Sciences you can study a language at uni, or you can study a Science with a language ('with' means you only study the language components whereas 'and' would probably involve some cultural modules). Also Sheffield offer a triple language degree where you can start two languages from scratch and only need one language at A-Level if you did still want to do German or Spanish through distance learning.
http://www.shef.ac.uk/prospectus/courseDetails.do?id=T9002013

Great to hear I'm not the only one! Thanks for your reply. I didn't dislike anything about my science classes, I actually really enjoyed the experiments and seeing the science in action. In fact, there wasn't anything I disliked about the sciences! I took an extra year to study the language GCSEs to make sure I was going into A levels with my choices open. The problem is, if I am to go the Science route then I want to study all three of them and Maths A level so that I have all the options open for me when entering uni. To study a language via distance learning as well would mean that I would be studying 5 AS subjects, which I really don't think I could do especially given my situation. Argh! :s-smilie:
Original post by Gilo98
'The other kids were so crap' ahahhaah

Oh, they were:frown: their accents...

They pronounced js and rs as if they were speaking English :colonhash:

So when I spoke and said "Les parents ont besoin d'élargir leurs horizons" properly they were all like :eek: :eek3:
What does this mean...

... Il est important de faire preuve de tolérance. Ne soyez pas trop autoritaire, ne les laissez pas faire...

?
Reply 7348
Oh, they were:frown: their accents...

They pronounced js and rs as if they were speaking English :colonhash:

So when I spoke and said "Les parents ont besoin d'élargir leurs horizons" properly they were all like :eek: :eek3:

:mmm: a couple people in my class pronounce 'Je' as 'jay'!! And they dont know how to say 'I am' or 'I play' :unimpressed:
What does this mean...

... Il est important de faire preuve de tolérance. Ne soyez pas trop autoritaire, ne les laissez pas faire...

?

Which bit?
Original post by 21stcenturyphantom
Great to hear I'm not the only one! Thanks for your reply. I didn't dislike anything about my science classes, I actually really enjoyed the experiments and seeing the science in action. In fact, there wasn't anything I disliked about the sciences! I took an extra year to study the language GCSEs to make sure I was going into A levels with my choices open. The problem is, if I am to go the Science route then I want to study all three of them and Maths A level so that I have all the options open for me when entering uni. To study a language via distance learning as well would mean that I would be studying 5 AS subjects, which I really don't think I could do especially given my situation. Argh! :s-smilie:

I had an awful teacher for A-Level Chemistry who unfortunately put me off experiments but I'm glad you enjoy them! Have you considered only doing 2 sciences, maths and a languages? Most people have one science they like the least (except constant who hates them all :lol: ) Typically this is Physics because it's much closer to Maths than it is to Biology and Chemistry. Alternatively there's nothing wrong with just studying languages for fun :smile:
Original post by Gilo98
:mmm: a couple people in my class pronounce 'Je' as 'jay'!! And they dont know how to say 'I am' or 'I play' :unimpressed:

:mad:
Original post by Octopus_Garden
Which bit?

All of that bit :tongue:

J'ai fait un page... That's all that I haven't done... :tongue:

I know the second bit is:

Don't be too bossy, nor leave them to do what they want

I think!
Reply 7352

I think!

And we are meant to be the very top class in the school....:confused:
What does this mean...

?

It's important to show tolerance. Don't be too authoritative or let them do...

I think!
I assume there is no way il est important or tolérance is causing you a problem, so...

Take a medium or large Collins dictionary, and look up preuve.

Or, you could use this: http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/french-english/preuve?showCookiePolicy=true
Original post by Gilo98
And we are meant to be the very top class in the school....:confused:

:rofl:
It's important to show tolerance. Don't be too authoritative or let them do...

Yay!:biggrin: I got it!

This I'm unsure of;

Les parents ont aussi plus souvent tendance à laisser sortir les garçons que les filles.

Parents have an increasing tendency to let boys go out more than girls? Or... :s-smilie:
I had an awful teacher for A-Level Chemistry who unfortunately put me off experiments but I'm glad you enjoy them! Have you considered only doing 2 sciences, maths and a languages? Most people have one science they like the least (except constant who hates them all :lol: ) Typically this is Physics because it's much closer to Maths than it is to Biology and Chemistry. Alternatively there's nothing wrong with just studying languages for fun :smile:

I could do that, but I really enjoyed studying all three sciences for GCSE...I don't think I could choose. I don't know. I think I will evaluate everything in 2 weeks time, and if I doing OK I may perhaps consider studying a language via distance learning for a fifth AS, or I may just not take an A level in it and keep the study of languages to my free time. :smile:
:rofl:

Yay!:biggrin: I got it!

This I'm unsure of;

Les parents ont aussi plus souvent tendance à laisser sortir les garçons que les filles.

Parents have an increasing tendency to let boys go out more than girls? Or... :s-smilie:

I'd translate it as:
Parents also have an increased tendency to let boys go out than girls. When translating you have to make sure to translate every single word/phrase.

Original post by 21stcenturyphantom
I could do that, but I really enjoyed studying all three sciences for GCSE...I don't think I could choose. I don't know. I think I will evaluate everything in 2 weeks time, and if I doing OK I may perhaps consider studying a language via distance learning for a fifth AS, or I may just not take an A level in it and keep the study of languages to my free time. :smile:

Good luck with which ever you choose, you don't have to formally study a language to become fluent in it :smile:
I'd translate it as:
Parents also have an increased tendency to let boys go out than girls. When translating you have to make sure to translate every single word/phrase.

Good luck with which ever you choose, you don't have to formally study a language to become fluent in it :smile:

Done :zomg:

French is the lesson I look forward to now :teehee:

We'll see if I like physics.
I'd translate it as:

Yes, that's true, and thank you. :h:

Latest

Trending

Trending