The Student Room Group
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester

UNITE Accommodation (New Medlock House, Manchester) - Yes or No?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Tokichu
Don't let me become a quiet shut in!

Ya what?
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester
Reply 21
Original post by harrop_jh
From Manchester :smile: Where you coming from ?

Coming from Wigan pal :smile:

All those of you worried about being shut ins - for a start, your flat mates are probably gonna wanna go out and get ****ered with you :smile:
And if they don't, I do! :biggrin:
Reply 22
Block A Flat 21 here!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by EliBee
Block E, flat 118. And I have no idea which floor it is. :biggrin:

Hi, i'm in flat 118 as well :biggrin:
Reply 24
Original post by James_Hurley
Hi, i'm in flat 118 as well :biggrin:

Block E?

So good to find someone from my flat! :biggrin:
Reply 25
Just a warning, take photos of EVERYTHING when you move in. No matter how small that blue tack mark is on the wall, they will charge you £65 to paint over it, which they won't so that they can charge the next year's tenant for it too. And marks on the kitchen carpet will set every person in the flat back about £150. They used to have friendly and understanding staff, but they all mysteriously disappeared at once a few months ago and the new staff are the bitchiest bunch you will ever meet.

But on a positive, you can't get a much better location :smile:
Reply 26
Original post by Muffie
Just a warning, take photos of EVERYTHING when you move in.

Already planned on doing this :smile: I've seen my actual flat and common area, and one of the kitchen cupboards is a little bit buckled and my dad said there were some marks around my bedroom, but thanks for the tip :smile:
Original post by EliBee
Block E?

So good to find someone from my flat! :biggrin:

Yep! I'll inbox you my facebook (assuming you have it aha)
Reply 28
Original post by Muffie
Just a warning, take photos of EVERYTHING when you move in. No matter how small that blue tack mark is on the wall, they will charge you £65 to paint over it, which they won't so that they can charge the next year's tenant for it too. And marks on the kitchen carpet will set every person in the flat back about £150. They used to have friendly and understanding staff, but they all mysteriously disappeared at once a few months ago and the new staff are the bitchiest bunch you will ever meet.

But on a positive, you can't get a much better location :smile:

Was planning to do that anyway but nice one! thanks for a proper heads up :smile:
Reply 29
While I remember, this year they started doing termly cleaning inspections as an excuse to make more money out of everyone. They announce a day they're coming, turn up on any random day and leave you a note usually saying you've failed and they'll be back in 2 weeks to give you another chance. In my boyfriend's case they turned up again 2 days later one time. Upon failing this second one everyone in the flat gets charged.

Doesn't sound too bad. Just a little tidy up needed, right? Nope. Reasons for failing include clean washing up on drying racks, food out on the worktop defrosting, anything at all on the worktops (they literally put it as a reason for failing when there was only an oven glove), an airer, tv/ laptop/ games console/ speaker wires etc. It's a hassle, but you're going to have to keep the place spotless for about a week solid around any date they say they'll come round or you will get the charges.

I'm not trying to scare you all at all. I'm sure you'll have a great time and these are things that will only bother you two or three times in the whole year. I just felt you should be warned as unite have become very money hungry since student castle opened and they lost a lot of their parkway gate customers. They actually have whiteboards up in their parkway gate office on how to make more money out of everyone now.

I'm not 100% on whether new medlock have keycards or it's just parkway gate (they're run together as a unit by all of the same staff), but if you do: when your keycard breaks (which they all will), one of their many new policies is to charge you for every single replacement. You want to go to the office and ask for a replacement when Naz is there. He is probably the only decent one left there and will almost definitely give you a free replacement. You want to go with "it snapped in the lock in the door" or something along those lines :wink: Hope this helps!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by Muffie
While I remember, this year they started doing termly cleaning inspections as an excuse to make more money out of everyone. They announce a day they're coming, turn up on any random day and leave you a note usually saying you've failed and they'll be back in 2 weeks to give you another chance. In my boyfriend's case they turned up again 2 days later one time. Upon failing this second one everyone in the flat gets charged.

Doesn't sound too bad. Just a little tidy up needed, right? Nope. Reasons for failing include clean washing up on drying racks, food out on the worktop defrosting, anything at all on the worktops (they literally put it as a reason for failing when there was only an oven glove), an airer, tv/ laptop/ games console/ speaker wires etc. It's a hassle, but you're going to have to keep the place spotless for about a week solid around any date they say they'll come round or you will get the charges.

I'm not trying to scare you all at all. I'm sure you'll have a great time and these are things that will only bother you two or three times in the whole year. I just felt you should be warned as unite have become very money hungry since student castle opened and they lost a lot of their parkway gate customers. They actually have whiteboards up in their parkway gate office on how to make more money out of everyone now.

I'm not 100% on whether new medlock have keycards or it's just parkway gate (they're run together as a unit by all of the same staff), but if you do: when your keycard breaks (which they all will), one of their many new policies is to charge you for every single replacement. You want to go to the office and ask for a replacement when Naz is there. He is probably the only decent one left there and will almost definitely give you a free replacement. You want to go with "it snapped in the lock in the door" or something along those lines :wink: Hope this helps!

This is gonna be effort :biggrin: but nice one for the heads up even if it has made this place sound like a bit of a **** hole :smile: gotta hope for some tidy room mates now!
Reply 31
Flat 119? Block E??
Reply 32
Has anyone bothered getting those freshers wristbands cos I really don't see the point in them so far?
Reply 33
block E flat 116 anyone??
Reply 34
Original post by ellenrose
block E flat 116 anyone??

Im in Block E 115 Neighbours :smile:
Reply 35
Original post by harrop_jh
Has anyone bothered getting those freshers wristbands cos I really don't see the point in them so far?

You don't want to get one of those. Manchester has so many clubs and they all throw their own freshers nights. If you want to go to any of the official wristband events then supposedly you can buy individual tickets for the nights you want, but I'm not sure how you actually get these as I've never been to any official ones. If you get there and your whole flat decide you want to go to all of them then go for it, but you don't want to be the only one in your flat with the wristband and have to choose between either accepting the money you spent on it as a loss or spending all of freshers in different clubs to your flatmates. There are all sorts of clubs and nights out to choose from. You'll have a blast! :biggrin:

For quick reference:

5th ave- popular indie/ alternative club, people singing along to all the big songs, can turn into a bit of a mosh pit

Factory- cheap entry and drinks, different music on each of 3 floors, house/ indie etc.

Deansgate/ Deansgate locks (Missoula, Vodka Revs, Suede etc.)- lots of dressy girls with fake tan, tiny dresses and high heels, more charts music/ r&b

Printworks (Tiger Tiger, Entourage etc.)- Only particularly popular one here is tiger tiger, pretty mixed crowd

Northern quarter- independent bars and cafes, popular with hipsters, not much of a night scene

Canal street- gay village, don't waste your time trying to get into G.A.Y. unless you and everyone you're with looks 100% undoubtedly gay. Or you know the bouncer :wink:

Baabar- deansgate locks one is more popular, good for if you want a lot of shots.

Font- cocktail bar just next to oxford rd station, £2, £3 & £4 cocktails, very popular for pre-drinking out and well worth a visit. Personal favourite.
Reply 36
Block F, flat 152?
Reply 37
Original post by Sophiatm
Im in Block E 115 Neighbours :smile:

wooooo yay what you studying??
Reply 38
Original post by ellenrose
wooooo yay what you studying??

Marketing management at MMU what about you?
Reply 39
Original post by Sophiatm
Marketing management at MMU what about you?

oh cooool international fashion promotion at mmu :smile: u got fb??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending