The Student Room Group

Eating Disorders and life with one - Discussions, Opinions, Advice.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6580
Original post by PonchoKid
My boyfriends skypes broken atm and dont really talk to many other people on it :/ cant phone my sister when her boyfriends there nowadays :frown:
Just gonna be a mess and either hide in bed and not eat and be a pathetic human being or eat :/ could try go for a walk i guess :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that might be a good idea :smile: Other than that I don't really know what else to suggest, but I know how horrible it is to be home alone and unable to trust yourself, so I hope tomorrow is alright for you. You can do this!
Original post by 05autyt
Yeah that might be a good idea :smile: Other than that I don't really know what else to suggest, but I know how horrible it is to be home alone and unable to trust yourself, so I hope tomorrow is alright for you. You can do this!

iv decided if the wethers nice i might actually go on a massive walk, maybe, or atleast down to the river :s-smilie:

im just falling apart atm :frown:
already cried once tonight :s-smilie:
Reply 6582
iv decided if the wethers nice i might actually go on a massive walk, maybe, or atleast down to the river :s-smilie:

im just falling apart atm :frown:
already cried once tonight :s-smilie:

Oh sweetie :frown:
Original post by 05autyt
Oh sweetie :frown:

if i go on the walk id walk well about 5 miles maybe? so i dunno

dont feel sorry for me, its all my own fault.
Reply 6584
if i go on the walk id walk well about 5 miles maybe? so i dunno

dont feel sorry for me, its all my own fault.

:nah:
Reply 6585
Still rolling along in my relapse recovery, feeling pretty down however..came across a post which mentioned something along the lines of how after more than 3 or so years of eating disorders body dysmorphia becomes permanently engraved on the brain. The figure just shocked me, makes me feel a bit like no matter how far I strive to recover, 4 long years in will now mean I have no hope at normality and will always look in the mirror and see something which everyone assures me is far from reality. 16years in and already screwed!
Plus I broke my scales after touring around on holiday with them in my suitcase (it's really quite ED cliche!), and I can't help but worry about the new ones. What if they're inaccurate, and my existence is built around the little number that pops up, which happens to be a couple kilos lower than reality. Sad really, the amount I depend on a pair of scales.
Did order a good haul of quest protein bars though, fuelling me through my days at the moment as a fairly safe food!
:hugs: First of all HUGS TO EVERYONE!

Original post by shaylux
Still rolling along in my relapse recovery, feeling pretty down however..came across a post which mentioned something along the lines of how after more than 3 or so years of eating disorders body dysmorphia becomes permanently engraved on the brain. The figure just shocked me, makes me feel a bit like no matter how far I strive to recover, 4 long years in will now mean I have no hope at normality and will always look in the mirror and see something which everyone assures me is far from reality. 16years in and already screwed!

Okay I hate when random facts like this are thrown around, because EDs make us believe all kinds of things without having fuel added to the fire in terms of arbitrary statistics like "if you've had an ED for 3+ years you won't get over BDD". I know this isn't you that said it, you're the victim rather than the criminal! (Hope that makes sense)

Basically, that "fact" is a load of bull. I firmly believe that every one of us has it in us to recover, regardless of whether we've only had disordered habits for a few months or a few decades. I agree that habits do become more ingrained, and it can be tough when disordered thoughts have become normal and it's hard to remember life without it. But that doesn't make it impossible. We ALL had a life before this, and we can ALL get back to that, if we're prepared to put in the hard work and not give up hope.

I think baby steps is the way to go. "Recovered" is a scary prospect when you're "in recovery" as it feels so far away and so unreachable. It leads us to become hopeless, to relapse or stagnate. We need to aim for smaller, closer goals - each one of which will steadily bring us nearer to the big, long-term goal of recovery.

I had a good end to my day yesterday, eating more across the day than I have done in a long time. I've been doing the same today. I feel much more free. Stagnation had become a safety net, but it was suffocating. I always ate the same foods at the same times regardless of what my body wanted / needed. That's definitely changing, and although part of my brain is screaming at me and freaking out at the seeming lack of order, I'm enjoying the liberating feeling I have. I'm pushing forward now. No more half-hearted attempts at recovery, feeling like I've done okay because although I hadn't made progress, I hadn't relapsed. I don't want to miss out on things at Uni because of anorexia, whether that be because my body's not up to it or because the disordered part of my mind won't let me do it.

Hope you're all doing okay. <3
Original post by jazzykinks
To be fair, I know that he's pretty much hell-bent on becoming more muscular. It's stupid. We both want to 'better' our bodies but we think that the other is drop dead gorgeous anyway. I hate how there's so much media pressure to look a certain way; I think that's why we both feel slightly inadequate.

I feel worthless because I feel fat. I've never had ED thoughts since I've recovered because going down that path just isn't worth it. I wouldn't say he's destructive but he is dedicated to it. I just kind of wish I had that dedication to getting fit because I know I'm out of shape (objectively, even my parents are telling me this). I don't think I'll ever be happy in my own skin, no matter what I do.

:hug:

Posted from TSR Mobile
A good day today, I ate quite healthily, allowed myself some treats and I feel pretty good :h:
Original post by TotoMimo
How ludicrous does it sound that a man and his wife go on safari - and they keep a diary. They visit the plains of Africa, the lush forests, the local civilisations. The diary reads: Today we used one gallon of petrol. Tomorrow I hope we only use half a gallon of petrol. DAY TWO: Oh MY GOD. WE USED TWO GALLONS. Tomorrow I'm not going to drive anywhere in case we use a gallon of petrol. DAY THREE: We only used half a gallon of petrol. Thank god for that. DAY FOUR: We used a gallon of petrol. I'm sickened at the thought.

How stupid does that sound? For all the amazing sights and sounds to see on a wonderous trip of life, to focus on the fuel for the journey?

I know this is an old post but I've been reading through bits of this thread and what you said here really struck a chord with me. The idea that food = fuel and nothing else is something I really need to reinforce and reprogramme into my mind. It saddens me to think the amount of time I spend worrying and thinking about what is essentially my body's petrol, instead of everything else that life has to offer. It's become this massive monster when really it shouldn't matter at all, it should just be this natural thing that's needed to function, like breathing and going to the toilet.

I feel like I'm experiencing life living in an opaque, soundproof box with one single pinprick of light that gives me fleeting glimpses of reality. I don't really know how to break out of that. But I'm going to get the metaphorical hammer and start smashing at the walls. :biggrin:
Reply 6590
Original post by AlesanaWill
:hugs: First of all HUGS TO EVERYONE!

Okay I hate when random facts like this are thrown around, because EDs make us believe all kinds of things without having fuel added to the fire in terms of arbitrary statistics like "if you've had an ED for 3+ years you won't get over BDD". I know this isn't you that said it, you're the victim rather than the criminal! (Hope that makes sense)

Basically, that "fact" is a load of bull. I firmly believe that every one of us has it in us to recover, regardless of whether we've only had disordered habits for a few months or a few decades. I agree that habits do become more ingrained, and it can be tough when disordered thoughts have become normal and it's hard to remember life without it. But that doesn't make it impossible. We ALL had a life before this, and we can ALL get back to that, if we're prepared to put in the hard work and not give up hope.

I think baby steps is the way to go. "Recovered" is a scary prospect when you're "in recovery" as it feels so far away and so unreachable. It leads us to become hopeless, to relapse or stagnate. We need to aim for smaller, closer goals - each one of which will steadily bring us nearer to the big, long-term goal of recovery.

I had a good end to my day yesterday, eating more across the day than I have done in a long time. I've been doing the same today. I feel much more free. Stagnation had become a safety net, but it was suffocating. I always ate the same foods at the same times regardless of what my body wanted / needed. That's definitely changing, and although part of my brain is screaming at me and freaking out at the seeming lack of order, I'm enjoying the liberating feeling I have. I'm pushing forward now. No more half-hearted attempts at recovery, feeling like I've done okay because although I hadn't made progress, I hadn't relapsed. I don't want to miss out on things at Uni because of anorexia, whether that be because my body's not up to it or because the disordered part of my mind won't let me do it.

Hope you're all doing okay. <3

Facts are indeed, facts, but I concur with you that you are your own person, your own spirit, and that you are capable of defeating any foe.

A few of the facts that seem to be the most prevalent, however, is that a general rule of thumb is, however long it took you to develop and endure your disorder, you should expect a similar length of time to decommission your mindset. In layman's terms - however long you've caused yourself to endure an eating disorder, expect it to take that long to get back to neutral.

It's kinda common sense, really; it's more like a tunnel than a pit. A pit implies you just fell in one day and it happened to you, and now you're climbing back out. A tunnel is more apt; every day you were walking further and further into the darkness, and you can expect to retread your steps each day to get back to the light.

Facts are facts because they're based on statistics. Things that have happened. True events. But your events are YET to happen, so why adhere to the norm?

Statistics are faceless numbers, and you have a face, you have a mind, you have a fate to dictate as you choose. I suppose that's a paraphrasing of Stalin's quote "one death is a tragedy, but one million deaths is a statistic".

Alesana, I am so glad my words inspired you to act further. I never intend to hurt, to harm the minds of the gentle and vulnerable, but the thing I cannot abide is when a person takes offence, they run and isolate themselves, hiding from the truth, the fact of what they're doing to themselves. This alone is the biggest barrier to recovery. Acceptance of your follies is your first step, and the second is walking that path with billboards of further criticism at either side without running back the way you came. The second step is the road many people end up struggling with for years.

But you'll never know unless you take the first few vital steps, open your eyes and your heart, understand that there are cruel and odd comments going to come your way, but you are strong enough to take them.
Facts are indeed, facts, but I concur with you that you are your own person, your own spirit, and that you are capable of defeating any foe.

A few of the facts that seem to be the most prevalent, however, is that a general rule of thumb is, however long it took you to develop and endure your disorder, you should expect a similar length of time to decommission your mindset. In layman's terms - however long you've caused yourself to endure an eating disorder, expect it to take that long to get back to neutral.

It's kinda common sense, really; it's more like a tunnel than a pit. A pit implies you just fell in one day and it happened to you, and now you're climbing back out. A tunnel is more apt; every day you were walking further and further into the darkness, and you can expect to retread your steps each day to get back to the light.

Facts are facts because they're based on statistics. Things that have happened. True events. But your events are YET to happen, so why adhere to the norm?

Statistics are faceless numbers, and you have a face, you have a mind, you have a fate to dictate as you choose. I suppose that's a paraphrasing of Stalin's quote "one death is a tragedy, but one million deaths is a statistic".

Alesana, I am so glad my words inspired you to act further. I never intend to hurt, to harm the minds of the gentle and vulnerable, but the thing I cannot abide is when a person takes offence, they run and isolate themselves, hiding from the truth, the fact of what they're doing to themselves. This alone is the biggest barrier to recovery. Acceptance of your follies is your first step, and the second is walking that path with billboards of further criticism at either side without running back the way you came. The second step is the road many people end up struggling with for years.

But you'll never know unless you take the first few vital steps, open your eyes and your heart, understand that there are cruel and odd comments going to come your way, but you are strong enough to take them.

See although I had little episodes of eating funny for a couple of years before my disorder kicked in, when it did it was a very rapid decline - it was literally just a few months from healthy to emergency hospital admission. So on that basis (including the funny eating bit), my recovery should be pretty much done by now. xD But I know everyone's different! I think that's well represented by the fact that although many of us on here have been labelled with the same illness on our records, how that has manifested, how we deal with it, how long it lasts, etc. is different for everyone. When I was in IP I found that everyone had very different "types" of anorexia in terms of what they obsessed over, what triggered them, why they developed the disorder, the disordered thoughts they had, etc.

I must admit I am fairly good at hiding from the truth and things that hurt. It's been easier, especially over the last year with A2s, to submerge myself in college work and not think about recovery. That way of thinking is something I'm going to have to work on at Uni, as the work load is likely to be even greater.
Reply 6592
There is an innate problem in those of us with eating disorders; we don not have a more important aspect in life than eating.

Actually, that's a lie. Imagine if that was the case!! Imagine if eating was more important than earning a wage, than caring for loved ones, than aspiring to be a something, a someone!

But yet... we do it. It's like someone being given the key to the city and using it to open a basement to lurk within!
As my stress increases, so does my desire to restrict, and I'm feeling ever so stressed at the moment :frown: when I'm at work, I'm more relaxed, so I eat like normal. When I'm at home I'm stressed (I'm having a few relationship problems) and my appetite disappears with it, and I start panicking about calories :frown:

So do I need to sort out my stress first and the disordered thoughts after? Or vice versa?
Original post by snowyowl
As my stress increases, so does my desire to restrict, and I'm feeling ever so stressed at the moment :frown: when I'm at work, I'm more relaxed, so I eat like normal. When I'm at home I'm stressed (I'm having a few relationship problems) and my appetite disappears with it, and I start panicking about calories :frown:

So do I need to sort out my stress first and the disordered thoughts after? Or vice versa?

Are you me?
Original post by Anonymous
Are you me?

I assume you're having the same problem... How are you dealing with it?
Reply 6596
Snowy, you're very up-front and it makes you easier to diagnose. Simply put, you use your eating disorder as a coping mechanism.

Of course a lot of ED sufferers do this, it's no surprise, but to some, it's a soother, a pacifier, an anxiety-breaker.

Think about it. It's your teat. When things go wrong, you turn to a source of true control. You can't solve the problem at hand, so you can at least solve a "problem" that lies elsewhere and feel similar boon to your existence, right?

It's like - if I'm being absolutely clinical about it - You need a gold key. And the giant dragon in front of you has a gold key in it's belly. THE gold key. But you instead decide to run away and face a dragon you dreamt up, and fight it, and get an imaginary gold key from it. Yay! Gold Key! That's what you needed! Except, it's fictional, and you made it.

You're creating a new, solve-easy problem for your easy solution to a problem which isn't so easy to replace.

I suggest you start really focusing on your real problems, because otherwise, you'll never shed the crutch that is your mental disorder!
Managed to lie to my dr yesterday so she thinks things are getting better. I told her id only binged once in a month :sad:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6598
Managed to lie to my dr yesterday so she thinks things are getting better. I told her id only binged once in a month :sad:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hope the "ashamed" smiley is true and heartfelt. You SHOULD be ashamed.

You're doing nothing but prolonging a lifestyle of pain and deception. Do you WANT to be a self-harming liar? No, of course you don't. That's a horrible thing to aspire to be. When you think of all life's stereotypes, there's the hero, the joker, the sceptic, the pious - and the deceptor.

You don't want to be the last guy. He's the one that nobody likes because he's a liar, a swindler, a cheat, and the worst of all - he does it to himself! He thinks by living the way he does, he can benefit himself at another's expense (and you do this by duping a GP, by the way). He doesn't, and soon he realises he's spent so long conning his fellow man that nobody trusts him any longer.

He is rich, but he has zero friends, zero life, and nowhere to go.
I hope the "ashamed" smiley is true and heartfelt. You SHOULD be ashamed.

You're doing nothing but prolonging a lifestyle of pain and deception. Do you WANT to be a self-harming liar? No, of course you don't. That's a horrible thing to aspire to be. When you think of all life's stereotypes, there's the hero, the joker, the sceptic, the pious - and the deceptor.

You don't want to be the last guy. He's the one that nobody likes because he's a liar, a swindler, a cheat, and the worst of all - he does it to himself! He thinks by living the way he does, he can benefit himself at another's expense (and you do this by duping a GP, by the way). He doesn't, and soon he realises he's spent so long conning his fellow man that nobody trusts him any longer.

He is rich, but he has zero friends, zero life, and nowhere to go.

I know iv done wrong, but i dont even know why i did it :/ i was so honest last time, im begginning to think i should write down every time i binge and what iv eaten that day :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest