The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Just wanna say to everyone, good luck in their A Levels! Hopefully you get what you want!
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Chemistry?! :woo:

gotta love Chemistry :yeah:
Reply 4082
Original post by techno836
:rofl: its to get our minds back into gear :lol:

Change of heart,

can you please change ocr history to ocr A physics. Did not like history. :s-smilie:
Original post by Youdontneedtokno
Has anyone had an induction day for college? If so how was it? Shall i expect lessons?

someone please reply!

At my college, I had an induction day followed by induction sessions for each of my subjects that happened the week after induction day-I couldn't attend the Further Maths one because it crossed over with Geography and I have had one Maths induction session and I am getting another Induction session on Friday.
Is the behaviour in other people's classes been incredible because I'm still shocked how good it has been-it makes my school look like a rubbish dump.There was absolute silence while the teacher was talking-you could hear a pin drop.In my secondary school, the teachers use to always get interrupted especially if they talked for long periods like my college teachers were and hardly anyone brought in homework.
Original post by RhymeAsylumForever
Just wanna say to everyone, good luck in their A Levels! Hopefully you get what you want!

Thanks! You as well :smile:
Original post by MattFletcher
gotta love Chemistry :yeah:

Very true :smile:
Welcome to the new current year 12 thread, our home for the next year. (We’re now in the A Level forum :woo: )! that must mean we have matured :eek: :wink: This is the start of 2 very important years for us and A levels can be hard but that won't scare us! We have a high target to beat last year’s year 12s so let's all work hard :sogood:

Below is a list of subjects and exam boards that we are all taking, I'm sure it will be useful when you need somebody to help you :h: (Newcomers please quote me if you wish to be added :h: )

Subjects

Scottish Highers

Make sure you work your hardest all year and I'm sure the next results day will be fine, and in order to work hard here are some useful links below ( I'll add some more as I find them :smile:

http://www.examsolutions.co.uk - For Maths :smile:
http://www.Chemguide.co.uk - For Chemistry :smile:

And Finally if you have any query about A-level Choices or University choices make sure you ask/quote L'evil Fish or drop him a PM :smile: I will also answer any regarding Medicine or direct you to more helpful thread :h:

Best of luck for the forthcoming year! :h: :cool:

It turns out I'm actually on Edexcel for Chemistry, not AQA like I originally thought I was. :colondollar: Could you switch that for me please?
Reply 4087
Has anyone else here started a new sixth form? At my school, there are loads of year 11s who haves moved up, and only a few of us newbies . Any advice for newbies, especially since the students who are already there keep talking about things that have occurred before at their school and I don't have a clue what they're on about ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4088
Original post by Dalek1099
Is the behaviour in other people's classes been incredible because I'm still shocked how good it has been-it makes my school look like a rubbish dump.There was absolute silence while the teacher was talking-you could hear a pin drop.In my secondary school, the teachers use to always get interrupted especially if they talked for long periods like my college teachers were and hardly anyone brought in homework.

It was similar to that when we first started secondary, but it soon changed as people settled in and found out which teachers were push overs etc.

Maybe it's the same case with college?
Reply 4089
Got all my stuff ready for college today. :biggrin: Shame I don't start until Monday. :frown:

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1378324634.886961.jpg

Folders and books, colour co-ordinated! Red for German, Green for Sociology, Purple for Psychology, and Blue for Maths (I wanted a squared paper book but I couldn't find a decent one, so I had to get a refill pad :frown:).

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1378324738.047176.jpg

Picked this up whilst in Ryman.. May come in handy throughout the year - lasts until 31st August 2016, it's free, and you get a £5 gift voucher for signing up - highly recommend it if you have a Ryman near you!

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1378324852.235831.jpg

Plastic wallets. Got to love 'em.

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1378324931.286401.jpg

Loads of cheap pens and pencils and a cheap maths set and my calculator from last year.. :biggrin:

So fellow Year 12s, am I ready or am I ready? I'll give you a clue, I'm ready. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tibbz2
It was similar to that when we first started secondary, but it soon changed as people settled in and found out which teachers were push overs etc.

Maybe it's the same case with college?

I can't remember this happening at my Secondary School.Maybe its because I'm studying academic and respectable subjects though(Maths,Further Maths(haven't had a class for it yet due to Geography:angry:,Physics and Geography).

Some people on Facebook said their classmates were goons.On another note, I have a celebrity in my Geography class, who appeared in Are you Smarter than a Ten Year Old? as a regular for Season 1 I think.
Original post by Ani97
Has anyone else here started a new sixth form? At my school, there are loads of year 11s who haves moved up, and only a few of us newbies . Any advice for newbies, especially since the students who are already there keep talking about things that have occurred before at their school and I don't have a clue what they're on about ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is exactly like me! I started a new school today, and there are about 40 new people, with already 130 existing pupils. Everyone knows each other, has established friendships, cliques etc, and keep on talking about what they all did together in the summer. My advice would be just ignore it, even though its hard! But tomorrow we have actual classes, so hopefully the buzz of summer will die down, and I will find some nice people who don't talk about previous events and leave me sitting there like an idiot :biggrin: Good Luck :smile:
Original post by Lucas.
Got all my stuff ready for college today. :biggrin: Shame I don't start until Monday. :frown:

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1378324634.886961.jpg

Folders and books, colour co-ordinated! Red for German, Green for Sociology, Purple for Psychology, and Blue for Maths (I wanted a squared paper book but I couldn't find a decent one, so I had to get a refill pad :frown:).

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1378324738.047176.jpg

Picked this up whilst in Ryman.. May come in handy throughout the year - lasts until 31st August 2016, it's free, and you get a £5 gift voucher for signing up - highly recommend it if you have a Ryman near you!

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1378324852.235831.jpg

Plastic wallets. Got to love 'em.

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1378324931.286401.jpg

Loads of cheap pens and pencils and a cheap maths set and my calculator from last year.. :biggrin:

So fellow Year 12s, am I ready or am I ready? I'll give you a clue, I'm ready. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

How big is your bag because you are going to need a massive bag to get one folder full of paper for each subject in and books for each subject in-My bag is incredibly heavy to get around:colondollar:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4093
I can't remember this happening at my Secondary School.Maybe its because I'm studying academic and respectable subjects though(Maths,Further Maths(haven't had a class for it yet due to Geography:angry:,Physics and Geography).

Some people on Facebook said their classmates were goons.On another note, I have a celebrity in my Geography class, who appeared in Are you Smarter than a Ten Year Old? as a regular for Season 1 I think.

Really? Ours was chaos from day one :tongue: I can't see sixth form being any different, most people have stopped on, should be more of a laugh though I guess.

I wouldn't call someone off that show a celebrity exactly :biggrin:
Reply 4094
How big is your bag because you are going to need a massive bag to get one folder full of paper for each subject in and books for each subject in-My bag is incredibly heavy to get around:colondollar:

My bag isn't very big, but I'm planning on leaving all my folders at home and organising work at home, and only taking one folder with four plastic wallets (one for each subject :tongue:), and then I can also take in all my books. :smile:
Original post by Dinasaurus
Wow still have to do PE in sixth form, I'd hate that. I barely have space for a PE kit.

It sounds like it's going to be fairly horrific. Yes, it means I have to take in 2 bags as well, which is annoying!! Plus if you have multiple bags everyone else on the bus gets annoyed with you. :frown:
Reply 4096
Original post by Lucas.
My bag isn't very big, but I'm planning on leaving all my folders at home and organising work at home, and only taking one folder with four plastic wallets (one for each subject :tongue:), and then I can also take in all my books. :smile:

I've decided on a similar system, I can't be arsed with trecking a tonne of stuff around all day
x

Hey :smile: sorry to be a pain but could you swap me from Philosophy and Ethics to OCR Maths please?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ani97

Posted from TSR Mobile

I haven't, but there are a few new people in my school (maybe 20 out of over 200 in the year group) and they seem to be having the same problem. My advice is, even if you're really nervous, just pick someone who seems nice and start chatting to them in lessons! Sometimes the established students don't really talk to the 'newbies' because all the new students move around together as one group and don't seem to talk to anyone else - so we just presume they don't want to talk to us! If talking to new people really makes you nervous, try and find another new person who's nice but more confident and make friends together - once you've both got friends you can drift apart into your chosen friendship groups. :biggrin:
Original post by Lucas.

From the sound of my teachers I doubt they'd like that and you get through an incredible amount of work at A-Level that they would want you to keep together-I have a massive folder full of paper for Geography and my teacher said we'd get through that by Christmas.Then we need to get another folder to use for after Christmas.

Latest