The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 840
Original post by robin1125
How many people here are doing Target 2.0 with their schools?

Me :smile:

What kind of preparation are you doing?
Original post by Giant
Me :smile:

What kind of preparation are you doing?

Haven't started anything official yet, but I've been keeping up to date with the sort of stuff that comes up since I watched my school's team last year. Today was my first day back at school and my Economics teacher spoke to me at break time about if I would still be interested in doing it.

As far as I know we'll start meeting once a week at lunchtimes and discuss things to put into the presentation and then do some separate research at home. I also think we'll do some more work together after school when the heat comes nearer, but it's towards the end of November so I've got things to finish like my PS, EPQ and this debating competition I'm in, before I really start to bother looking too deeply into it.

Have you started doing any work towards it yet or are you in a similar situation?
Reply 842
Haven't started anything official yet, but I've been keeping up to date with the sort of stuff that comes up since I watched my school's team last year. Today was my first day back at school and my Economics teacher spoke to me at break time about if I would still be interested in doing it.

As far as I know we'll start meeting once a week at lunchtimes and discuss things to put into the presentation and then do some separate research at home. I also think we'll do some more work together after school when the heat comes nearer, but it's towards the end of November so I've got things to finish like my PS, EPQ and this debating competition I'm in, before I really start to bother looking too deeply into it.

Have you started doing any work towards it yet or are you in a similar situation?

Pretty much the same, although have nothing to really go off of seeing as I couldn't get to watch my school last year. Once PS gets sorted, and I get on track with other stuff like UCAS, school etc. I'll probably get stuck into it a bit more. Might do some casual reading of The Economist, FT etc. whenever I get a chance from now

How did your school do last year? And what kind of things did they talk about? I find it odd how there can be so many schools that essentially end up saying one of two things - raise interest rates and lower QE, or lower interest rates and increase QE (although there could be varying combinations within those options). Other than interest rates and QE what sort of things do you talk about?
Original post by Giant
How did your school do last year? And what kind of things did they talk about? I find it odd how there can be so many schools that essentially end up saying one of two things - raise interest rates and lower QE, or lower interest rates and increase QE (although there could be varying combinations within those options). Other than interest rates and QE what sort of things do you talk about?

They came second in the regional heat and lost out to one of the bets schools in the country so we did quite well. Usually you get 3-4 good schools that do their research and can answer the questions, but the rest are usually not that great. You also come across lots of people who really suck at public speaking so it can get a bit tedious to listen to them stutter and mess up their lines for the whole day, but it was relatively entertaining since I got on well with two of the people in the team.

I don't remember much about it in precise detail, but I remember lots of talk about zombie firms and J-curves, but other than that I'm afraid I can't remember a great deal. If your school does a good presentation then it's likely the judges will give you some really tricky questions about how the solutions you have proposed might might not work in a particular situation and ask you what would be your response, but again I can't remember specifics.

Most of the presentations are pretty similar and the Bank of England people don't really like it that much if you start trying to be controversial, as they are allowed to be since you're basically saying that they as an institution have got it wrong.

In the end, the team that ended up winning basically said uncontroversial things (I think they made slight changes to current Bank of England policy, but nothing more) and answered the questions well.
Reply 844
Original post by Giant
Pretty much the same, although have nothing to really go off of seeing as I couldn't get to watch my school last year. Once PS gets sorted, and I get on track with other stuff like UCAS, school etc. I'll probably get stuck into it a bit more. Might do some casual reading of The Economist, FT etc. whenever I get a chance from now

If you want any advice on the Target 2.0 competition, PM me. Our school won the regional heat and got to the National Semifinals.

Posted from TSR Mobile
AAAB in Maths, Further Maths, Economics and History. Hope to go up to an A in History after a remark since I was 2 UMS off the higher grade. I'll probably be predicted 2 A*'s and 2 A's, but maybe 3 A*'s and an A depending on which teachers will make the final decision.

I'm applying to: Durham, Bristol, York, Birmingham and either UCL or Bath

I got AAABC. As in Maths, Gov&Pol, and RS. B in Further Maths and C in Spanish.
Resitting S2 and M1 to get Further Maths up to an A at AS. Dropping FMaths and Spanish
Want A*AA

Applying: York, UCL, Leeds/Birmingham , Warwick and Queen Mary's
Original post by ellenabethx
I got AAABC. As in Maths, Gov&Pol, and RS. B in Further Maths and C in Spanish.
Resitting S2 and M1 to get Further Maths up to an A at AS. Dropping FMaths and Spanish
Want A*AA

Applying: York, UCL, Leeds/Birmingham , Warwick and Queen Mary's

Wow you're 18 already!? :redface:. That was really quick, and well done on your results!
Reply 847
They came second in the regional heat and lost out to one of the bets schools in the country so we did quite well. Usually you get 3-4 good schools that do their research and can answer the questions, but the rest are usually not that great. You also come across lots of people who really suck at public speaking so it can get a bit tedious to listen to them stutter and mess up their lines for the whole day, but it was relatively entertaining since I got on well with two of the people in the team.

I don't remember much about it in precise detail, but I remember lots of talk about zombie firms and J-curves, but other than that I'm afraid I can't remember a great deal. If your school does a good presentation then it's likely the judges will give you some really tricky questions about how the solutions you have proposed might might not work in a particular situation and ask you what would be your response, but again I can't remember specifics.

Most of the presentations are pretty similar and the Bank of England people don't really like it that much if you start trying to be controversial, as they are allowed to be since you're basically saying that they as an institution have got it wrong.

In the end, the team that ended up winning basically said uncontroversial things (I think they made slight changes to current Bank of England policy, but nothing more) and answered the questions well.

I guess that's sort of expected, a nice ego boost for the Bank of England :tongue:

But the other stuff you mentioned sounds pretty interesting, zombie firms and J Curves. It'll be a good chance to do some research and learn new things related to Economics

Original post by JOR2010
If you want any advice on the Target 2.0 competition, PM me. Our school won the regional heat and got to the National Semifinals.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well done on getting to the semifinals!

And thanks, I'll be sure to do so :smile:

Original post by Giant

What is this target 2.0 and how would you enter for it?
Original post by Boy_wonder_95

Exactly my question :colondollar:

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/education/pages/targettwopointzero/default.aspx

It's basically a programme run by Bank of England for 16-18. You enter as a school, so to enter it you'd need to be part of your school's team.
Reply 851

Your school is invited to participate, after you enter (Not all schools are invited to participate). I think that's the way it works!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys is it wise to use the "In my home town" opening sentence for your personal statement?
Original post by Dilzo999
Guys is it wise to use the "In my home town" opening sentence for your personal statement?

I'd say go for it. It makes it more personal if you know what I mean. As for is it cliche? Doesn't really matter, I mean I saw an LSE undergrad's (1st year) personal statement and she talked about freakonomics, which from research I thought was an overused book that should be avoided. Clearly it wasn't looked down upon.

As long as you add your own personal touch to it, I'd say it's wise to use.
I'm finding it difficult to really get it done. I was doing really well with planning and had about 800-1000 words done in the first week, but then went on a two week holiday, and have since lost most of my motivation. Friends that are also doing EPQ's seem to be struggling to finish them too, and one has just completely given up on doing his.

I seem to have an annoyingly early deadline as you do, and I'd much rather do it over the course of UVI or have been given the chance to start it earlier.

I'm the same. I have done a lot of research and have written about 500 words so far, but need the entire first draft done by next Friday. :/
What are the universities where A Level maths is required? (Apart from the very competitive ones like Oxbridge, Warwick, LSE and UCL.)

I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions. :smile:
Original post by Anonymous1717
What are the universities where A Level maths is required? (Apart from the very competitive ones like Oxbridge, Warwick, LSE and UCL.)

I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions. :smile:

It would probably be easier to list the ones that don't require maths. But seriously, I think there are only a couple in the top 20 that don't, almost everywhere requires it and even the places that don't still highly recommend you have it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think I may be predicted a B for maths :frown: does anyone know any good unis that I can apply to. Hopefully I can do better than a B and get into a uni via adjusment?(if anyone knows how this work, please do explain)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by blazekid75
I think I may be predicted a B for maths :frown: does anyone know any good unis that I can apply to. Hopefully I can do better than a B and get into a uni via adjusment?(if anyone knows how this work, please do explain)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Adjustment is when you get grades that exceed your offer by quite a bit. With this you phone up universities and then them you had an offer from University A who gave you an offer of CCC but you got AAA. If they have places available and want to take you on then they will give you an offer.

As for which univerisities, I guess you can apply above and get your prediction higher than a B or apply to some good AAB universities such as York, Surrey etc.

Are you at Tiffin Girls?

Quick Reply

Latest