The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4120
Original post by Dalek1099
Do you mean exercise books:confused:I understand now but will you be buying and bringing in revision books to revise from alongside your books and paper:confused:

Yeah, I just bought some books today to do my work in. :smile:

And I'll eventually get around to buying revision guides, maybe in a few weeks time. I don't need them just yet. :tongue:
Today I found out I will be a 'buddy' for one of the 2nd/3rd years who were on report last year, to help with Maths and general homework, anyone else done this?

I will take him under my wing and he will be my protégé.
Original post by SophieB1997
That's a lot of Maths! I have at least 6 hours a week of Maths (including Further) but I could have more as I've only had one of my teachers so far and when I have the others they might organise more lessons before or after school. I love Maths but a lesson at 8.15 on a Monday morning does not sound very appealing.

Maths is great fun though and you will have had two days rest so you will be fine and by rest I mean rest in the A-Level version of the word, you will still have to do work:biggrin:
I use to do and sometimes still do Maths at 12am on weekend days and never stopped till 7am on some days.
Reply 4124
Original post by pathosL
oh that's cool, i'm on OCR A too and my school is making us buy our own textbooks, and like 2 ringbinders per subject for some reason :angry:

ouch :/ i have my OCR A chemistry book, OCR:MEI C1/C2 book and all my other textbooks provided by my school :colondollar: just got to collect them when i have the lessons now :colondollar:

Do you have like a guidance lesson ?
Reply 4125
Original post by MattFletcher

Haha i know the feeling :lol: but why don't you have a 5 one on Monday ? :confused:
Original post by Ani97
Has anyone else here started a new sixth form? At my school, there are loads of year 11s who haves moved up, and only a few of us newbies . Any advice for newbies, especially since the students who are already there keep talking about things that have occurred before at their school and I don't have a clue what they're on about ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've just started a new sixth form too. Some of the students were talking about their holidays and I just laughed along and asked questions (they're not trying to make you feel awkard, they just have a lot of catching up to do :tongue:).If you want to make friends just try and make conversation with people in your lessons (going to spend a lot of time with them) as it is must be pretty daunting for them to talk to new students as it is for you to talk to them. I had a great today by talking to other students and made quite a few acquaintances too. Just relax and try making small talk with them and other new students.
Maths is great fun though and you will have had two days rest so you will be fine and by rest I mean rest in the A-Level version of the word, you will still have to do work:biggrin:
I use to do and sometimes still do Maths at 12am on weekend days and never stopped till 7am on some days.

Yeah, it won't be that bad. I really enjoy Maths and I'm sure I'll get used to it soon enough - especially as there'll be cake involved :biggrin:
Reply 4128
Original post by techno836
ouch :/ i have my OCR A chemistry book, OCR:MEI C1/C2 book and all my other textbooks provided by my school :colondollar: just got to collect them when i have the lessons now :colondollar:

Do you have like a guidance lesson ?

damn that's lucky, are they good textbooks though?

guidance lesson? not that i know of
Original post by Lucas.
Yeah, I just bought some books today to do my work in. :smile:

And I'll eventually get around to buying revision guides, maybe in a few weeks time. I don't need them just yet. :tongue:

I think that its a great idea to buy time because when you find time that you can't go home but have nothing to do at College then you can revise.To add to this,I have decided to arrive 45 minutes before lessons to College to make sure I'm not late if there are problems with the buses and this means that once I get there I may as well revise-its light revision but still very helpful:colondollar:

My Geography teacher gave us all AQA Geography books so I have been lucky because I nearly bought them and now I have two geography books.My Maths teacher has told me that there are 6 books to buy for Maths and Further Maths and I intend to buy them all.I have bought a Physics AS book with CGP and am thinking of buying individual books for each unit or an AQA book but I will see how that develops.
Yeah, it won't be that bad. I really enjoy Maths and I'm sure I'll get used to it soon enough - especially as there'll be cake involved :biggrin:

2.718281828459045... my God How is there cake involved?-You mean pi surely:tongue:
Reply 4131
Original post by MattFletcher

i know that feel
Reply 4132
Original post by pathosL
damn that's lucky, are they good textbooks though?

guidance lesson? not that i know of

I couldn't say i don't have much to compare them too really :lol: the MEI one is it has many questions and examples, some are harder than exam ones so it does prepare you well :h:

it may be called something else :lol: its basically like a tutor i believe :h:

anyway i have TRIPLE biology tomorrow :awesome: i hope it goes okay :crossedf:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4133
The behavior in my Secondary School was outrageous most of the time-lots of times heads of years, important people had to come in and have a shout at us.

My Geography teacher had been completely run down by the fact he was getting interrupted every 5 minutes-you couldn't really get much worse.

I certainly feel I could have done a lot better in Geography if the class had behaved and another persons parents complained.

However, the behavior has been exceptional at College and I don't understand it and I have had troublemakers in my classes at College but they have behaved, which is extremely unusual for them.

Hm yeah that does sound pretty strange :s-smilie:
2.718281828459045... my God How is there cake involved?-You mean pi surely:tongue:

Hahaha that would definitely be more appropriate :biggrin: My teacher said we can bring cake because everyone was complaining about coming in early on a Monday :smile: (and apparently all the FM classes bring food to their early lessons at my school)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4135
Original post by techno836
it may be called something else :lol: its basically like a tutor i believe :h:

anyway i have TRIPLE biology tomorrow :awesome: i hope it goes okay :crossedf:

yeah we have that for people who weren't hitting their targets, it's too early to know right now. your school does that for every student?

i hate biology lol i got triple chemistry and double physics tomorrow hope it goes okay :s-smilie:
Reply 4136
Original post by pathosL
yeah we have that for people who weren't hitting their targets, it's too early to know right now. your school does that for every student?

i hate biology lol i got triple chemistry and double physics tomorrow hope it goes okay :s-smilie:

hmmm its not a teaching lesson really, its guidance :lol: basically my teacher (who btw is the nicest person in the world and is rather fit :colone: ) said it about guiding you to your future about career choices, university choices, UCAS, CV help, Finances and stuff like that :h: and she is the person we see if we have any troubles :h:

She's also the psychology teacher and i was gonna do psychology ..i may have missed out there :facepalm: :lol:

there's also an edit in the post you quoted :h:
Hahaha that would definitely be more appropriate :biggrin: My teacher said we can bring cake because everyone was complaining about coming in early on a Monday :smile: (and apparently all the FM classes bring food to their early lessons at my school)

That is so strange because my college is strict and firm on food and drink.My Physics teacher was saying how dangerous it would be to eat food in the room because it could get contaminated by radiation(I think he meant Alpha), which wasn't dangerous unless it was consumed and the rule sticks for all the subjects.

In my Geography class, they let us make our own rules for the class but my teacher decided that he had two more to add on himself and the first one was "No Food and Drink" and the second was "No Hats" for some reasons something due to the effect of hats on people's hair or something.

You are allowed Water though as long as it is under the table but I wouldn't advise it because if you drink in College you will need the toilet all the time.
Original post by aasvogel
Today I found out I will be a 'buddy' for one of the 2nd/3rd years who were on report last year, to help with Maths and general homework, anyone else done this?

I will take him under my wing and he will be my protégé.

I don't think they do things like reports at my college-I think if you misbehave or don't turn up you get kicked out.A lot of lecturers have made it clear that we have chosen to be here and if we don't have to be here we don't have to be here.

It sounds strange for you to be helping a 2nd/3rd year student- surely any buddy schemes would be done the opposite way around because you don't even know your college yet and is this student resitting GCSE Maths or something?
That is so strange because my college is strict and firm on food and drink.My Physics teacher was saying how dangerous it would be to eat food in the room because it could get contaminated by radiation(I think he meant Alpha), which wasn't dangerous unless it was consumed and the rule sticks for all the subjects.

In my Geography class, they let us make our own rules for the class but my teacher decided that he had two more to add on himself and the first one was "No Food and Drink" and the second was "No Hats" for some reasons something due to the effect of hats on people's hair or something.

You are allowed Water though as long as it is under the table but I wouldn't advise it because if you drink in College you will need the toilet all the time.

We're not allowed to eat during normal lessons but the Maths Department are pretty relaxed and I think they feel bad for making us come in early so they bend the rules :smile: We're never allowed to eat or drink in Science rooms either. I think it's because there could be spilt chemicals on the tables, which weren't cleared up properly or something :confused:

Latest