The Student Room Group

Am I allowed to study 2 A2 subjects next year?

Hey guys,
I've just received my Summer exam results :
Psychology A2 - B
Chemistry AS - B
Maths AS - B
Accounting AS - D

I have a grade B 'in the bank' now as I have finished Psychology A2 which I am looking to drop for next year as I have completed the course. I want to carry on Chemistry and Maths to A2 next year, however I am unsure whether I should carry on Accounting to A2. As I have a guaranteed B in Psychology A2, I just need 2 more A-levels in Chemistry and Maths for entry to my uni course for 2014 entry, however I don't want unnecessary pressure and stress added by studying Accounting at A2 aswell, seeing as there are no January exams anymore, also I may resit some AS units. Will my college allow me to study just 2 subjects to A2 level in September seeing as I would have completed Psychology, dropping Accounting at A2, possibly resitting an Accounting AS module??

Cheers
Original post by spanishovenfork
Hey guys,
I've just received my Summer exam results :
Psychology A2 - B
Chemistry AS - B
Maths AS - B
Accounting AS - D

I have a grade B 'in the bank' now as I have finished Psychology A2 which I am looking to drop for next year as I have completed the course. I want to carry on Chemistry and Maths to A2 next year, however I am unsure whether I should carry on Accounting to A2. As I have a guaranteed B in Psychology A2, I just need 2 more A-levels in Chemistry and Maths for entry to my uni course for 2014 entry, however I don't want unnecessary pressure and stress added by studying Accounting at A2 aswell, seeing as there is no January exams, also I may resit some AS units. Will my college allow me to study just 2 subjects to A2 level in September seeing as I would have completed Psychology, dropping Accounting at A2, possibly resitting an Accounting AS module??

Cheers
I'd say that this is fairly unlikely, though each college will have their own policy on the number of subjects that their students study towards. I'd suggest asking them, though - I can't see that there's anything much to lose. :smile:
My college didn't allow it because of something to do with funding, but you may as well ask.
Ok thanks for the advice everyone. Another question - will the Psychology A2 still count towards my A-levels even though I completed the A-level this year, and the rest of my A-levels the year after? Do I still need to have good predicted grades in the 3 other subjects apart from my completed Psychology A2?
Ok thanks for the advice everyone. Another question - will the Psychology A2 still count towards my A-levels even though I completed the A-level this year, and the rest of my A-levels the year after? Do I still need to have good predicted grades in the 3 other subjects apart from my completed Psychology A2?

You'll probably need to ask the unis you're interested in individually. I imagine some won't have a problem with it, but others will
Reply 5
For your first question - I was also looking at just carrying on 2 A2 subjects this year as I already have one in the bank, but for you to be considered a full time student and for them to get their funding, you need to do 3 A2 subjects.

For your second question - It really does depend on the University and course you want to do. Some RG unis may not look favourably on it unless you had extenuating circumstances, whereas others will be fine :smile: And the better your predicted grades are, the higher your chances.
Hi everyone

So does anyone have any suggestions for my 3rd subject next year, I really dont want a subject taking up my time and effort if it wont have any bearing towards my uni offer. Should I ask to take something like General studies AS?

Posted from TSR Mobile
bump-

So what would you peeps do in my situation in terms of my third subject? (read original post)

Accounting A2 or something a bit easier like General studies AS?

I need some assistance here as I'm indecisive and I enrol back at college in a few days. Cheers :biggrin:
Reply 8
You need 12 hours a week to be classed as a full time student, otherwise funding gets messy. Doing only 2 A2s a week is only 8 hours a week. The policy of part time student varies from college to college, but my college requires part time students to pay their own course fees, which is incredibly expensive. So, my advice is no, don't do just 2 A2's haha.

But your other question; it's entirely up to you. Accounting isn't a highly regarded A level so, continuing it to A2 seems pointless, especially with a D. But starting another AS when you already have 1 AS seems equally pointless, and General Studies is regarded even less than Accounting. :tongue:

So really, do what you think you will enjoy more. You already have a solid B (congrats by the way), and your other two subjects are well respected. Completing accounting A level makes the most logical sense in my mind, but if you can't bare the thought of doing that, then doing General Studies won't matter much. It's neither here or there, really. Uni's will not care much, so do the subject you think will make you the happiest!
Original post by MichaelB6
You need 12 hours a week to be classed as a full time student, otherwise funding gets messy. Doing only 2 A2s a week is only 8 hours a week. The policy of part time student varies from college to college, but my college requires part time students to pay their own course fees, which is incredibly expensive. So, my advice is no, don't do just 2 A2's haha.

But your other question; it's entirely up to you. Accounting isn't a highly regarded A level so, continuing it to A2 seems pointless, especially with a D. But starting another AS when you already have 1 AS seems equally pointless, and General Studies is regarded even less than Accounting. :tongue:

So really, do what you think you will enjoy more. You already have a solid B (congrats by the way), and your other two subjects are well respected. Completing accounting A level makes the most logical sense in my mind, but if you can't bare the thought of doing that, then doing General Studies won't matter much. It's neither here or there, really. Uni's will not care much, so do the subject you think will make you the happiest!

Oh ok fair enough. I want to choose a subject for my third option which won't take up too much of my time, so I can concentrate on my chemistry and maths next year, seeing as I have already completed psychology Alevel (the way I see it, is that, I only need 3 Alevels for university, so in my opinion, accounting/3rd subject won't even be considered for my uni offer, so I don't really want to waste my time revising a subject which won't have any bearing on my uni offer)

The only reason I was considering general studies is that it is supposedly quite easy to do, also universities don't accept it anyway, so the only reason I'd do it, is to waste a block in my timetable next year. I don't really want to pay too much attention to my third subject though - makes sense, right?
I'll speak to my college when I re-enrol :smile:
Hi guys,
So I eventually decided to do Chemistry A2, Maths A2 and re-do Accounting AS again. Would universities see that I've re-done my Accounting AS level or would I leave it as pending on the UCAS form?

For the full info, read the initial post.

I've already completed my A2 Psychology with a grade B secured, looking to do Chemistry A2 and Maths A2 next year = 3 full A-levels by June 2014

Resitting my AS Accounting again was just to boost up my Accounting grade as an AS level side-kick :smile:

Would this be ok to universities, seeing as I would have my full 3 A-levels by June 2014?

Cheers :biggrin:
Hi guys,
So I eventually decided to do Chemistry A2, Maths A2 and re-do Accounting AS again. Would universities see that I've re-done my Accounting AS level or would I leave it as pending on the UCAS form?

For the full info, read the initial post.

I've already completed my A2 Psychology with a grade B secured, looking to do Chemistry A2 and Maths A2 next year = 3 full A-levels by June 2014

Resitting my AS Accounting again was just to boost up my Accounting grade as an AS level side-kick :smile:

Would this be ok to universities, seeing as I would have my full 3 A-levels by June 2014?

Cheers :biggrin:

You would have to declare the initial AS grade on your UCAS form but I don't think universities will care. I had to declare an E grade (psychology, hated it) on my UCAS form but still received all 5 offers; it also obviously helps that you have secured a B grade and demonstrated that you are a very capable student.

So while you would have to declare it (it's fraudently not to do so apparently. Trust me, I begged them not to declare my E grade, but the only grade you don't have to declare is a U apparently. Anything above a U, you are legally required to declare haha), universities will likely not care.

Good luck at your A2s! I hope all goes well for you. :smile:
Original post by MichaelB6
You would have to declare the initial AS grade on your UCAS form but I don't think universities will care. I had to declare an E grade (psychology, hated it) on my UCAS form but still received all 5 offers; it also obviously helps that you have secured a B grade and demonstrated that you are a very capable student.

So while you would have to declare it (it's fraudently not to do so apparently. Trust me, I begged them not to declare my E grade, but the only grade you don't have to declare is a U apparently. Anything above a U, you are legally required to declare haha), universities will likely not care.

Good luck at your A2s! I hope all goes well for you. :smile:

Ok thanks for that. I meant as in do I need to leave it as 'pending' as I would be resitting the AS level so my grade will potentially increase by results day 2014. Yes, I do feel my B grade being secured has put me in good stead application-wise, and it means I can solely focus on my two A2 subjects this year.

If it has little bearing on my application, I don't mind declaring my Accounting grade as I am going to re-sit it anyway.

Thanks for that, good luck to yourself too! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest