The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Manchester United season ticket holders?

Hi,
Just wondering whether there are any people who regularly attend Manchester United games/ have season tickets at old trafford?
I have had mine for 3 years now, but used to have to travel for an hour to get to each game, thankfully this won't be the case once I go to uni!
Would like to meet other people that go to the games reguarly

Scroll to see replies

Going to a Man Utd game always seems to be an aim of international students, whether they like football or not! If you talk to some of them then I'm sure you'll be able to persuade them to come along :smile:
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Original post by Origami Bullets
Going to a Man Utd game always seems to be an aim of international students, whether they like football or not! If you talk to some of them then I'm sure you'll be able to persuade them to come along :smile:

Is it true that United do a student scheme where if you go to non-sellout games on matchday you can buy a ticket for a reduced price? I have heard this rumour circulating...
Original post by LeoDiCaprio
Is it true that United do a student scheme where if you go to non-sellout games on matchday you can buy a ticket for a reduced price? I have heard this rumour circulating...

Not a clue I'm afraid - I've never been to any footie match, anywhere, in my life :no:
Original post by Barcelona'99
Hi,
Just wondering whether there are any people who regularly attend Manchester United games/ have season tickets at old trafford?
I have had mine for 3 years now, but used to have to travel for an hour to get to each game, thankfully this won't be the case once I go to uni!
Would like to meet other people that go to the games reguarly

I've been going on a season ticket for about 6 years or so now :smile: I'm like you, I'm used to travelling about an hour to each match. Due to start at Manchester Uni doing PPE next month :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by JackAllen95
I've been going on a season ticket for about 6 years or so now :smile: I'm like you, I'm used to travelling about an hour to each match. Due to start at Manchester Uni doing PPE next month :smile:

Great, it'll be good to get to and from games quicker! Whereabouts do you sit?
Reply 6
Original post by LeoDiCaprio

I'm not sure about this to be honest. They do offer reduced season ticket prices for 18-21 year olds though
I'm not sure about this to be honest. They do offer reduced season ticket prices for 18-21 year olds though

Yeah, I've seen! TBH I don't think I can afford one this season - seeing as I'm not exactly sure about living expenses and whether I'll have enough to survive. Going to try and go to a few games before the business end of the season when they all sell out like I usually do...
Great, it'll be good to get to and from games quicker! Whereabouts do you sit?

I used to sit in the second tier of the SAF (north) stand, but this season I've moved to the second tier of the Stretford End. What about you? I'm looking forward to the Chelsea game a week today!
Manchester United season ticket holders who live less than an hour away? You may struggle to find them.
Reply 10
It is true that the student union get tickets for games which don't sell out such as Wigan and the like. They're available to UoM students. You'd need to contact the union for further details, can't give you any more info as I'm not a United fan.
Original post by noone29
It is true that the student union get tickets for games which don't sell out such as Wigan and the like. They're available to UoM students. You'd need to contact the union for further details, can't give you any more info as I'm not a United fan.

Excellent - thanks for the information. I shall contact the union upon my arrival.
Reply 12
Season ticket holder for 5 years myself, starting at manchester this month.

Would imagine there will be no shortage of people who go to games regularly or not.
Original post by barnetlad
Manchester United season ticket holders who live less than an hour away? You may struggle to find them.

Your view is warped because you live nowhere near Manchester so how can you possibly come to that conclusion? Its when I hear ignorant comments like these that really press my buttons. How is it different from any other major club? The Barcelona's and Real Madrid's of this world primarily.
Original post by lee_vassallo
Your view is warped because you live nowhere near Manchester so how can you possibly come to that conclusion? Its when I hear ignorant comments like these that really press my buttons. How is it different from any other major club? The Barcelona's and Real Madrid's of this world primarily.

From going as an away fan and travelling by the Metrolink to and from the game and there being a dearth of Mancunian accents. Plenty of Irish and southern accents heard.
From going as an away fan and travelling by the Metrolink to and from the game and there being a dearth of Mancunian accents. Plenty of Irish and southern accents heard.

I've been going to game for years, and whilst I agree that there are plenty of Irish around, I've only ever come across a few southerners. I'm from Manchester, as the crow flies I'm not far away from Old Trafford at all. The reason I said I travel an hour is purely due to traffic and not distance.

There are also a lot of Asian tourists. Manchester United is now a global brand and being one of the biggest clubs in the world requires a global following. Sure there are a lot of tourists (to the detriment of the atmosphere which is very frustrating), but there are also a lot of local Mancunian fans.

There are also a lot of local fans who simply can't afford tickets because we have very high season ticket prices. One game alone is around £40 (although at least we're not as bad as Arsenal).

I'm just saying that yes we have a lot of tourists, but there are a lot of local fans too who shouldn't be forgotten. The majority of match-goers are local, but the fact that people travel from around the world to watch United only demonstrates the size of our club :smile:

Edit: Oh and a lot of local fans drive to matches which is why you won't find them on the metro link, tourists tend to use public transport :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Your point is valid but just don't let that deter from the fact that Man Utd have just as big a local following as any club. You can't walk round Manchester without seeing umpteen people in united shirts. Manchester is a city proud of its footballing heritage.
Reply 17
Your point is valid but just don't let that deter from the fact that Man Utd have just as big a local following as any club. You can't walk round Manchester without seeing umpteen people in united shirts. Manchester is a city proud of its footballing heritage.

Having been in Manchester a year, I'd have to say the only shirts I've ever seen in the city centre are city shirts - no bias. I mainly go in on non-match days but have been on weekends and I very rarely see the red of United, it's very much a Man City area.
Original post by noone29
Having been in Manchester a year, I'd have to say the only shirts I've ever seen in the city centre are city shirts - no bias. I mainly go in on non-match days but have been on weekends and I very rarely see the red of United, it's very much a Man City area.

I like to think of it as an East/West divide. Man Utd have a much stronger following in the West of the region including areas of Salford, Trafford, Bury etc. Whereas City fans are more prominent in the East including areas of Tameside, Stockport and Oldham among others. I can't really explain why you haven't seen many united fans in the city centre, I think of the city centre as being the middle ground. :tongue:
Reply 19
I like to think of it as an East/West divide. Man Utd have a much stronger following in the West of the region including areas of Salford, Trafford, Bury etc. Whereas City fans are more prominent in the East including areas of Tameside, Stockport and Oldham among others. I can't really explain why you haven't seen many united fans in the city centre, I think of the city centre as being the middle ground. :tongue:

That may be the case but I've been into the city centre probably 50/60 times and it's greatly in favour of city, must be their territory I guess, what with the city being 'man city', if you get it.

Damn, city areas sound more rough tbf aha.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending