The Student Room Group

Realistic to ask to raise my BBC prediction to AAA?

So I got BCC in the 3 A levels I was planning to carry on through A2 (I do have a 4th AS btw (B or C grade I have forgotten) just not talking about it)

B in Biol, C in Chem, C in Psychol - AS results (C'S WERE HIGH C's!!)
B C B - predictions for A2

The predictions for A2 were done before AS results came out so IDK f it will change it

But I really want to do medicine and I know with hard work I can get AAA but the only thing bothering me is there are no Jan exams :frown: So maybe I can apply for something thats around ABB-AAB because no Jan exams makes things twice as hard

would it be too unrealistic? I mean I am incredibly motivated to get AAA - I have already started reading ahead in my subjects and making sure I can answer the qu's while I am reading ahead (hopefully this will make it easier for me to understand in lessons)
I am very determined to get AAA IDK how I mucked up with all the revision I did, but this stuff happens, I gotta move on and get AAA
If I do get AAA I can always take a gap year I know but I would like to have the chance from now

IDK how to convince my teachers though!!!! In the end it's me who will be effected by this, not them, so............ THEY CANT TAKE MY DREAM AWAY FROM ME! I NEED THIS CHANCE!
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Unbelievably unrealistic. I can guarantee they'll say no, sorry.

Posted from TSR Mobile
There's no point in them giving you that prediction. It's rare for people to raise every grade by at least one grade - for them to predict you one up and one which is two up is quite silly and honestly, it'll be worse for you. Even if you manage to get offers based on that, if you don't meet them then you won't get in anyway. It'd be better for you to apply for places within your reach, maybe ABB-BBB places, which are more realistic.

Your teachers won't give you grades they feel are unrealistic so it's not a matter of convincing them, more whether they think you will get that grade or not. It looks bad on them to predict you a grade you then do not proceed to achieve.

Finally - even if you are predicted those grades, medical schools do not take those as the be all and end all. A teacher saying you are predicted AAA means squat when the grades you have actually got are BBC. That conveys more about your real ability than what your teacher has predicted you and unis are aware that some places do give their students 2 grades up on their predicted grades. It doesn't mean you will get those grades. If you're dead set on medicine either have a gap year after you have got AAA if you do, and in the meantime apply to places for biochem/biomedical science degrees and consider postgraduate medicine.
Reply 3
Original post by infairverona
There's no point in them giving you that prediction. It's rare for people to raise every grade by at least one grade - for them to predict you one up and one which is two up is quite silly and honestly, it'll be worse for you. Even if you manage to get offers based on that, if you don't meet them then you won't get in anyway. It'd be better for you to apply for places within your reach, maybe ABB-BBB places, which are more realistic.

Your teachers won't give you grades they feel are unrealistic so it's not a matter of convincing them, more whether they think you will get that grade or not. It looks bad on them to predict you a grade you then do not proceed to achieve.

Finally - even if you are predicted those grades, medical schools do not take those as the be all and end all. A teacher saying you are predicted AAA means squat when the grades you have actually got are BBC. That conveys more about your real ability than what your teacher has predicted you and unis are aware that some places do give their students 2 grades up on their predicted grades. It doesn't mean you will get those grades. If you're dead set on medicine either have a gap year after you have got AAA if you do, and in the meantime apply to places for biochem/biomedical science degrees and consider postgraduate medicine.

They should at least give me the chance and I know I will probably be rejected by all 4 med uni's I apply to with predictions max 2 grades above my actual grades
I know even if I get offers that I might not get in I am aware of all this

so I dont see the harm in being predicted AAA
Original post by randomer12
They should at least give me the chance and I know I will probably be rejected by all 4 med uni's I apply to with predictions max 2 grades above my actual grades

They don't need to give you the chance at all if it's unrealistic. If you had even got AAC that would maybe have helped but you haven't had any As, let alone 3. If you know you're not going to get offers then why do you want to do that to yourself? You're just setting yourself up for upset. Have a gap year or apply for biomed/biochem courses.

A teacher will not predict you an A when you got a C because you would need very high marks to bring that up to an A overall. When you achieved a C at AS, which is easier than A2, there is nothing to even suggest that you will get an A. That makes them look unprofessional and incompetent if you then do not get the grade they have predicted you. At my school they wouldn't predict us any grades up unless we were within 5 UMS marks of the boundary...
Reply 5

Universities rely on the predicted grades. It's not worth destroying that trust between colleges and universities for a few students. I'm not saying you won't achieve AAA, but it's unlikely considering the number of students who ask for what you are asking for and do not achieve it. I saw it myself at sixth form.

I'd suggest you still work on getting those A's and apply to the lowest medical schools and a backup of biochem/biomedical science at a good uni. You can transfer into medicine after that if you stand out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you are going to work 'so hard' then it doesn't matter what the predictions are as you will get AAA and re-apply next october. There isn't really a huge issue at hand but you have to ask yourself - How did you get a B in biology and a C in chemistry if you did a lot of revision?

Also, A2 chemistry is a massive step up from AS so it would be totally unrealistic to predict an A overall from a C at AS.

Original post by Ggmu!

I'd suggest you still work on getting those A's and apply to the lowest medical schools and a backup of biochem/biomedical science at a good uni. You can transfer into medicine after that if you stand out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry to say but 'lowest medical schools' don't exist.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
So I got BCC in the 3 A levels I was planning to carry on through A2 (I do have a 4th AS btw (B or C grade I have forgotten) just not talking about it)

B in Biol, C in Chem, C in Psychol - AS results (C'S WERE HIGH C's!!)
B C B - predictions for A2

The predictions for A2 were done before AS results came out so IDK f it will change it

But I really want to do medicine and I know with hard work I can get AAA but the only thing bothering me is there are no Jan exams :frown: So maybe I can apply for something thats around ABB-AAB because no Jan exams makes things twice as hard

would it be too unrealistic? I mean I am incredibly motivated to get AAA - I have already started reading ahead in my subjects and making sure I can answer the qu's while I am reading ahead (hopefully this will make it easier for me to understand in lessons)
I am very determined to get AAA IDK how I mucked up with all the revision I did, but this stuff happens, I gotta move on and get AAA
If I do get AAA I can always take a gap year I know but I would like to have the chance from now

IDK how to convince my teachers though!!!! In the end it's me who will be effected by this, not them, so............ THEY CANT TAKE MY DREAM AWAY FROM ME! I NEED THIS CHANCE!

AAA is very unrealistic for predictions (looking at your AS results).

I'd say the maximum is ABB. The reason is because med schools won't take you seriously if you were predicted 2 above what you have already achieved. It would bring up indications that your school is way to generous and is overpredicting.
I'm sorry but medicine is very unrealistic.
Reply 9
They don't need to give you the chance at all if it's unrealistic. If you had even got AAC that would maybe have helped but you haven't had any As, let alone 3. If you know you're not going to get offers then why do you want to do that to yourself? You're just setting yourself up for upset. Have a gap year or apply for biomed/biochem courses.

A teacher will not predict you an A when you got a C because you would need very high marks to bring that up to an A overall. When you achieved a C at AS, which is easier than A2, there is nothing to even suggest that you will get an A. That makes them look unprofessional and incompetent if you then do not get the grade they have predicted you. At my school they wouldn't predict us any grades up unless we were within 5 UMS marks of the boundary...

Well my teachers kinda DO since my parents money is going in their pockets because of my private education

I dont want to do biomed/biochem
I got very close to a B in my C's btw
And there are such things as resits

That's there problem, not mine, I already have enough

That's your school
Reply 10
Original post by themedicalgeek

Sorry to say but 'lowest medical schools' don't exist.

I'm sure there is a pecking order in terms of medical schools, or do they ALL have identical standards?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by themedicalgeek
If you are going to work 'so hard' then it doesn't matter what the predictions are as you will get AAA and re-apply next october. There isn't really a huge issue at hand but you have to ask yourself - How did you get a B in biology and a C in chemistry if you did a lot of revision?

Also, A2 chemistry is a massive step up from AS so it would be totally unrealistic to predict an A overall from a C at AS.

I know but if I get AAA then I will be majorly pissed at them for not predicting me AAA

Oh my B in biology isn't an A because of my ISA
My C in chem isn't an A because of my EMPA

I did a lot of revision during study leave
I thought it required same revision as GCSE's - wrong move, that's how

I am aware of that but now I know what it's like to do A levels
Reply 12
Well my teachers kinda DO since my parents money is going in their pockets because of my private education

That's your school

You're just being moany because you're not getting the answer you want. It doesn't matter how much money you pay, you can buy predicted grades. Grow up and work hard or deal with mediocrity.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
A friend of mine recently achieved DDDE for his AS, and he really did strive to do Medicine at University.
So he bloody did well work hard from day to day for the remaining year at school (where he did his A2s, along with his AS work from the year before), and turned it into something like AAAB at A2.
Folks here are just saying it's unrealistic because the university won't actually know what you're capable of, as they haven't been your teacher before. However if you mention it that you're going to retake some exams or something like that, because you didn't think you performed to your absolute best the first time, and you persuade your teachers that you're absolutely going to stomp on your exams come next year (providing you do resits), then go ahead and get them to predict you what you're realistically capable of.

As you said, you're applying to Medicine this year, go ahead and definitely apply. It doesn't matter if you get 5 rejections, you can always apply again the year after with your achieved grades, and thus you'll know where you're capable of getting a place of and such. This'd probably be the better idea, and the more viable route to go down!

I also got ABBC this year, wanting to do Medicine, and this is basically all the information i've had from everyone I've spoken to.

Edit: Didn't see the part where you said about exceeding your grades with your results next year. If this is the case and you feel that this will happen, it'll be better to apply next cycle when you actually know your grades. Nothing wrong with a gap year!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Ggmu!
I'm sure there is a pecking order in terms of medical schools, or do they ALL have identical standards?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah they do
apart from UKCAT and GCSE's they differ
Reply 15
Yeah they do
apart from UKCAT and GCSE's they differ

Fair enough, I suppose that's only right as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's your school

Your parents' money can't buy you 3 As though. Your C might well have been close to a B but it wasn't a B and it's nowhere near an A. I don't know why you're moaning at everyone telling you how it is! Even if you get those daft predictions the medical schools will see that you didn't get any As and will reject you anyway. And FYI my school was a top 25 grammar school so I really don't think your private school will be run much differently with regards to predicted grades. They have a reputation to uphold if they want people to pay, giving out wildly unrealistic predicted grades isn't going to help them.

"IDK how I mucked up with all the revision I did, but this stuff happens, I gotta move on and get AAA" - another thing, if you hadn't revised much and got those grades fine but if you revised a lot and didn't get any As at AS, I would say it's quite unlikely you will get any at A2.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Bixel
A friend of mine recently achieved DDDE for his AS, and he really did strive to do Medicine at University.
So he bloody did well work hard from day to day for the remaining year at school (where he did his A2s, along with his AS work from the year before), and turned it into something like AAAB at A2.
Folks here are just saying it's unrealistic because the university won't actually know what you're capable of, as they haven't been your teacher before. However if you mention it that you're going to retake some exams or something like that, because you didn't think you performed to your absolute best the first time, and you persuade your teachers that you're absolutely going to stomp on your exams come next year (providing you do resits), then go ahead and get them to predict you what you're realistically capable of.

As you said, you're applying to Medicine this year, go ahead and definitely apply. It doesn't matter if you get 5 rejections, you can always apply again the year after with your achieved grades, and thus you'll know where you're capable of getting a place of and such. This'd probably be the better idea, and the more viable route to go down!

I also got ABBC this year, wanting to do Medicine, and this is basically all the information i've had from everyone I've spoken to.

Edit: Didn't see the part where you said about exceeding your grades with your results next year. If this is the case and you feel that this will happen, it'll be better to apply next cycle when you actually know your grades. Nothing wrong with a gap year!

Yeah well that was my plan! To get AAA and take a gap year (if I didn't get AAA but got into my 5th choice which is psychology, I will go do that and then enter as a graduate if I do well enough in my degree!)

But if I get AAA I would like it to have paid off this year! Okay I will try persuade them for AAA but what if they refuse? what do I do next? still apply? :/

well all I know is that I am aiming to finish the school year with AAA regardless of what my teachers think
Teachers tend to overpredict for people with bad AS Grades, especially for Medicine. Your best bet would be to work hard this year and get AAA or A*AA this year by re-sitting some papers and apply in 2015. It would mean you have to take a gap year but then again, you'd have your results which may prove to be an advantage when applying against AS Students with "predicted" A2's.
Reply 19
Your parents' money can't buy you 3 As though. Your C might well have been close to a B but it wasn't a B and it's nowhere near an A. I don't know why you're moaning at everyone telling you how it is! Even if you get those daft predictions the medical schools will see that you didn't get any As and will reject you anyway. And FYI my school was a top 25 grammar school so I really don't think your private school will be run much differently with regards to predicted grades. They have a reputation to uphold if they want people to pay, giving out wildly unrealistic predicted grades isn't going to help them.

It sure can

Telling me how it is? You have been telling me I can't get AAA
IDC where your school was top whatever there are 3 other private schools in my city and they are ALL incredibly different and I KNOW that for a FACT so don't go telling me they aren't run that much differently bullcrap

Well I will just have to see wont I

Quick Reply

Latest