The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The engineering company I work for (FSTE100, >10,000 employees) will not consider you for the graduate scheme without at least a 2:1 MEng or MSc.

Stu Haynes MEng
Reply 2
Original post by pheonix254
The engineering company I work for (FSTE100, >10,000 employees) will not consider you for the graduate scheme without at least a 2:1 MEng or MSc.

Stu Haynes MEng

yeah that is reassuring, so which branch of engineering are you from and which university did you graduate from?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I did MEng Electronics Engineering atSouthampton (any russell group university will do if you want the most options at the end) and I now work in marine, aerospace and energy as an engineer during my day job.

Equally could have gone into oil, gas, automotive, controls, systems, power generation, computing, mobile, banking, insurance, entrepreneurial, actuarial, consultancy or business - I have friends with engineering degrees in all of those sectors.
Reply 4
Original post by pheonix254
I did MEng Electronics Engineering atSouthampton (any russell group university will do if you want the most options at the end) and I now work in marine, aerospace and energy as an engineer during my day job.

Equally could have gone into oil, gas, automotive, controls, systems, power generation, computing, mobile, banking, insurance, entrepreneurial, actuarial, consultancy or business - I have friends with engineering degrees in all of those sectors.

Cheers for this, and is RG that important? I've chosen to go to Loughborough

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
If Lboro isn't in the RG, then it's certainly of the same standard. no worries with an engineering degree from Lboro.
Reply 6
Usually you should be able to pick in the second or third year if you want to do the BEng or MEng. So you can apply for one course but switch to the other one later on... You'll of course have to prove yourself suitable for the MEng, but it's not really a decision you should have to make straight away.

Doing the MEng will lead you on your way to becoming chartered and will of course give you extra education to draw upon in your career. I'd say it is worth it, especially as student finance will be able to pay the bills for now.
Original post by ElChapo
I'm about to start a course in chemical engineering and I still have time to decide whether I want to do the BEng or the MEng. I just want to be sure the MEng is actually worth it, and I'm not being suckered into it by university as they want my fees. So I'd like to hear from any current engineering students or graduates, and I don't mind what type of emgineering either. Thoughts please

Posted from TSR Mobile

Overall the MEng is worth it, but it depends exactly on the company. Some companies, especially the bigger ones with large graduate intakes to their schemes, which are IMechE/ICE/IChemE/IETetc. accredited, only recruit MEng since that's what's required for chartership, which the scheme works towards. Other companies aren't particularly bothered.

If you can get a good job, with good prospects and training opportunities with a BEng then take it, but such a job is more likely with the MEng.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Thanks all, I'm 100 percent cconvinced and happy to do the MEng now :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
I am aware that you are the guy unable to enter superior institutions alas imperial and UCL but you will pay for it unless you stop being a weak shallow man and make up for it
(edited 10 years ago)
i don't mean to turn this discussion on it's head, but for some people, if you get a first at Beng might be a better option if you want to go into banking as you can get into a MSc and Imperial and obviously for chemical engineering Imperial is as good as it gets. look at the course Advanced Chemical engineering before you decide :smile:. Imperial also is better for the OIL sector too! :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by HiddenTro
I am aware that you are the guy unable to enter superior institutions alas imperial and UCL but you will pay for it unless you stop being a weak shallow man and make up for it

Umm what? HiddenTroll? :hmmm:

Original post by exam freak
i don't mean to turn this discussion on it's head, but for some people, if you get a first at Beng might be a better option if you want to go into banking as you can get into a MSc and Imperial and obviously for chemical engineering Imperial is as good as it gets. look at the course Advanced Chemical engineering before you decide :smile:. Imperial also is better for the OIL sector too! :biggrin:

Have you gone down this route or you just think so? I'm not really interested in banking right now and about the imperial thing, I know they're great but I don't think the same snobbery you see in finance or law exists for Engineering, maybe I'm wrong

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Y
Original post by ElChapo
Umm what? HiddenTroll? :hmmm:

Have you gone down this route or you just think so? I'm not really interested in banking right now and about the imperial thing, I know they're great but I don't think the same snobbery you see in finance or law exists for Engineering, maybe I'm wrong

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes you are wrong. You will need a first and Meng to compete with my friends. You areunaware oof the implications of attending this institution
Reply 13
Y

Yes you are wrong. You will need a first and Meng to compete with my friends. You areunaware oof the implications of attending this institution

But you haven't even started uni, can I ask what you're basing that on?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by ElChapo
But you haven't even started uni, can I ask what you're basing that on?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Older friend I may say. You were not good enough to be admitted to superior ones, your attitude is one that looks to take the easy route. I am not going lboro luckily
Reply 15
Older friend I may say. You were not good enough to be admitted to superior ones, your attitude is one that looks to take the easy route. I am not going lboro luckily

This must be your way of dealing with oxbridge rejection, cute

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ElChapo

Hi I am glad you made your decision but I just wanted to put in my observations; generally having an MEng is an advantage, so you don't want to get into a situation where you discover you want to do it and can't - a number of unis let you drop down from 4 year to 3 year but not the other way round, so I would always choose to start with the 4 year option.
This means if you wanted to go into banking later on ( not saying you do, but it could become an option ) and you felt doing an MEng would be a disadvantage ( I am really not at all convinced it would be disadvantageous) then you could stop after 3 years with your BEng. I would just check that you do actually get a BEng after 3 years ( at Oxford if you stop after 3 years you only get a BA which isn't much use if you want to go into engineering).
Reply 17
Original post by ElChapo
This must be your way of dealing with oxbridge rejection, cute

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you apply there silly? Your teachers would have refused

How sad
Reply 18
Original post by dotty_but_good
- a number of unis let you drop down from 4 year to 3 year but not the other way round, so I would always choose to start with the 4 year option.

I don't agree with this, most unis that offer MEng & BEng degrees will give BEng students the chance to upgrade to MEng also vice versa if you are on the MEng and don't peform well enough you get downgraded to the BEng degree.
If you want a career in engineering then MEng is a must. if not, it doesn't really matter. But I'm sure you don't have to decide right now. If you change your mind once you start your course, it shouldn't be too difficult to change!

Good luck!

Latest