The Student Room Group

Barts and The London medicine applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

With a UKCAT score of 2680, Band 1 and a predicted UCAS tarif of 570 (not including EPQ or AQA Bacc) would I have any chance getting an interview? :rolleyes:
Original post by StephenNaulls
If you did 4 AS's you get the UCAS points for the subject you cashed in. Also, any other tariff able qualifications are used- that is your EPQ, OCR Nationals, ASDANS, Music examinations etc. if you have these then you will probably be above the tariff with three A2, but otherwise you will have to continue with 4.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So you mean I get Ucas points from one AS and 3 A2 predictions, in addition to music exams? That's alright because I got 4 As at AS and grade 6 piano, so will that put me in a good spot?
Reply 162
Original post by Physicsrules23
So you mean I get Ucas points from one AS and 3 A2 predictions, in addition to music exams? That's alright because I got 4 As at AS and grade 6 piano, so will that put me in a good spot?

Well, if you're predicted 3 As that gives you 360, the additional A is 60 bringing you to 420. How much is the music qualification worth?

Worth keeping in mind that it you just make the limit on the UCAS tariff, a high UKCAT will be required. Last year 3,120 made up for the lowest tariff I believe.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 163
Why not Oxbridge with those grades?
Original post by KanKan
Thanks guys! And welcome to the thread :biggrin:

I personally was wondering how the interview was for you guys, did you find it difficult? What type of questions did they ask?

Original post by DrumChops
Hey, what was your UCAS tariff and UKCAT score? At interview, did they ask questions relating to your PS? Also how long is the interview, and what was it like, in terms of no. of panelists, how nice they were etc. etc.

Another question: how many hours would you say you spent working on and refining your PS?

Hi there!
I spent 4 years over A levels due to illness so my UCAS tariff was a little odd, applied with a tariff of around 500. Now I have my A2 results it is 650. My UKCAT was 792.5.

For my personal statement I had to explain why I took so long over A levels (hospital for anorexia) so was frank and put that in my first paragraph (risky move, perhaps why Bristol rejected me). The personal statement overall is pretty short so it didn't take long to write it, most of the time was trying to make it shorter! Maybe 4-5 hours over several weeks including revisions?

My interview was 10mins with 2 panellists. Quite relaxed, they were very nice - much nicer than the Kings interviewers! I was incredibly nervous and babbled some nonsense at the first question about the ethics scenario, but the female interviewer told me to take a deep breath and start again, haha. Thought I had lost it then but clearly not!
They then asked the standard work experience questions, tell me more about this volunteering on your personal statement, etc.
The last question they asked was strange though - 'what caused your anorexia?' Luckily I took it in my stride and was polite, answered to the best of my ability, and they let me go :smile: I think that question was intended to make me angry, to show I wasn't ready for the course. Some others I know were asked strange questions a bit like this, so be mentally prepared for such 'illegal' questions.

And one piece of advice - shake the hand of and make eye contact with each interviewer you have, they actually seemed surprised I did that!

Overall I found I built the interview up to be far more stressful than it actually was. After Kings it was a breeze, and the students in the waiting room with tea and chocolate biscuits did their best to put us all at ease :smile:

I am SO HAPPY I'm going to this medical school as everyone has been so welcoming, and they have fantastic support for anyone who has had/currently has health problems. The first year halls are right by Barbican station too, really looking forward to moving in next week!

Good luck to all of you :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 165
This year, I have 700 avg ukcat, and 600 UCAS points (thats A*A*A*A* right? Not sure I've figured tariff out completely)

I applied to Barts last year with 3As at AS and 1A*, and a ukcat average of 629. I want to apply to barts but am worried of being over ambitious and applying only to the best! Did that last year and ended up with 4 rejections :/
Original post by snakeyface
Hi there!
I spent 4 years over A levels due to illness so my UCAS tariff was a little odd, applied with a tariff of around 500. Now I have my A2 results it is 650. My UKCAT was 792.5.

For my personal statement I had to explain why I took so long over A levels (hospital for anorexia) so was frank and put that in my first paragraph (risky move, perhaps why Bristol rejected me). The personal statement overall is pretty short so it didn't take long to write it, most of the time was trying to make it shorter! Maybe 4-5 hours over several weeks including revisions?

My interview was 10mins with 2 panellists. Quite relaxed, they were very nice - much nicer than the Kings interviewers! I was incredibly nervous and babbled some nonsense at the first question about the ethics scenario, but the female interviewer told me to take a deep breath and start again, haha. Thought I had lost it then but clearly not!
They then asked the standard work experience questions, tell me more about this volunteering on your personal statement, etc.
The last question they asked was strange though - 'what caused your anorexia?' Luckily I took it in my stride and was polite, answered to the best of my ability, and they let me go :smile: I think that question was intended to make me angry, to show I wasn't ready for the course. Some others I know were asked strange questions a bit like this, so be mentally prepared for such 'illegal' questions.

And one piece of advice - shake the hand of and make eye contact with each interviewer you have, they actually seemed surprised I did that!

Overall I found I built the interview up to be far more stressful than it actually was. After Kings it was a breeze, and the students in the waiting room with tea and chocolate biscuits did their best to put us all at ease :smile:

I am SO HAPPY I'm going to this medical school as everyone has been so welcoming, and they have fantastic support for anyone who has had/currently has health problems. The first year halls are right by Barbican station too, really looking forward to moving in next week!

Ahh thanks for that! Good luck for when you begin :biggrin:
Original post by snakeyface
Hi there!

Do they send you a paper or something a week before the interview?
Reply 168
Hi guys,
I'm applying from Ireland this year for 2014 entry. I'm just wondering would these grades be good enough
Junior Cert(GCSEs): 8As 3Bs (There are no A*s)
Leaving Cert(A2s): 6 A1s and 2 A2s (I think that's 694 tariff points?)

I've got a pretty good volunteering/work experience résumé but I'm not sure if I should bother applying as I've heard competition is ridiculously fierce. Also, I dunno how the UKCAT will go..

Hey guys,

So I'm going into Year 12 right now and my GCSE scores were a little mediocre (2A*s in Maths and History, 7As in Spanish, English Language, Bio, Chem, Physics, English Literature and Art, and 1B in French ) My results are good but they're not brilliant, especially considering I go to a Grammar School.
I'm taking Bio, Chem, Maths, History and General Studies for AS and will probably be dropping Maths and General Studies at A2. I'm obviously aiming for 4/5 As at the end of AS and all As at least at the end of A2. I've identified what I did wrong at GCSE (NOT ENOUGH REVISION ) and plan to work much harder at A Level from the first lesson.
I volunteer once a week in the small Chapel at my local Hospital, transporting patients from their ward to the Chapel and also volunteer regularly at one of the small shops in the same Hospital which raises money for the Hospital (last year they raised aprox. £100,000)
I've also volunteered at a GP for one week and spent one week at 6 six different departments at a Hospital (ranging from A&E to Radiology to Surgery- It was Great!) I also do a lot of extra curricular activities at my school, ranging from Debate Club to Head of School Council) I speak 3 different languages fluently, not including English, two of which I taught myself (even though my first language is English) and I have been altar serving for the past nine years.

My current Uni choices are
1. UCL (first choice)
2. Either Cambridge or Barts
3. Bristol
4. Leicester

Even though, whilst typing all of this out, I was thinking 'Wow, I've done quite a bit of stuff', I know how competitive Medicine is, especially at UCL which is where I've been dreaming to go for as long as I can remember.

I know my GCSEs put me at a disadvantage, but if there is even the slightest way to improve my Application, could you please please reply to this post.
Even if you don't have anything to contribute, you can PM me or quote me on advice on how to get Work Experience, Voluntary Work or anything else, I'm researched a lot of Med School Unis quite extensively, it's actually a little embarrassing.

Please Note: That I'm not trying to brag or 'show off' on what I have done so far or trying to belittle anyone; I'm literally so worried that I'm not going to be good enough for UCL, or any medical school, and I'm not here to ask if I am either, but I would just like to know how I can improve my Application.
Anything will be helpful; thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DrumChops
Ahh thanks for that! Good luck for when you begin :biggrin:

Thank you! I can't wait :biggrin:

Original post by raveen789
Do they send you a paper or something a week before the interview?

They sent us an email with an attachment of and link to a BMJ article (for us it was Tony Nicklinson's assisted suicide case) and told us to research ethics to do with it as they wanted to ask us what we thought. I massively over prepared and babbled in the interview, oops :wink:

Barts is very communicative with email, they send a LOT. They don't send many letters.
Original post by WannabeDoctor03
Hey guys,

So I'm going into Year 12 right now and my GCSE scores were a little mediocre (2A*s in Maths and History, 7As in Spanish, English Language, Bio, Chem, Physics, English Literature and Art, and 1B in French ) My results are good but they're not brilliant, especially considering I go to a Grammar School.
I'm taking Bio, Chem, Maths, History and General Studies for AS and will probably be dropping Maths and General Studies at A2. I'm obviously aiming for 4/5 As at the end of AS and all As at least at the end of A2. I've identified what I did wrong at GCSE (NOT ENOUGH REVISION ) and plan to work much harder at A Level from the first lesson.
I volunteer once a week in the small Chapel at my local Hospital, transporting patients from their ward to the Chapel and also volunteer regularly at one of the small shops in the same Hospital which raises money for the Hospital (last year they raised aprox. £100,000)
I've also volunteered at a GP for one week and spent one week at 6 six different departments at a Hospital (ranging from A&E to Radiology to Surgery- It was Great!) I also do a lot of extra curricular activities at my school, ranging from Debate Club to Head of School Council) I speak 3 different languages fluently, not including English, two of which I taught myself (even though my first language is English) and I have been altar serving for the past nine years.

My current Uni choices are
1. UCL (first choice)
2. Either Cambridge or Barts
3. Bristol
4. Leicester

Even though, whilst typing all of this out, I was thinking 'Wow, I've done quite a bit of stuff', I know how competitive Medicine is, especially at UCL which is where I've been dreaming to go for as long as I can remember.

I know my GCSEs put me at a disadvantage, but if there is even the slightest way to improve my Application, could you please please reply to this post.
Even if you don't have anything to contribute, you can PM me or quote me on advice on how to get Work Experience, Voluntary Work or anything else, I'm researched a lot of Med School Unis quite extensively, it's actually a little embarrassing.

Please Note: That I'm not trying to brag or 'show off' on what I have done so far or trying to belittle anyone; I'm literally so worried that I'm not going to be good enough for UCL, or any medical school, and I'm not here to ask if I am either, but I would just like to know how I can improve my Application.
Anything will be helpful; thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi there! My GCSEs weren't great by most med applicant standards (3A* 3A 1B) so I applied to unis with lower GCSE requirements - Barts, Kings, Bristol, BSMS. I got an offer from Barts :smile:

Your GCSEs are more than enough for many med schools if you apply wisely, just look up their admissions policies. Barts only requires Bs in Maths and English IIRC, and doesn't look at GCSEs when deciding.

Just make sure you can get 3As predicted and a good UKCAT :smile:
Edit: your extracurricular stuff is far more than what I did :wink: and as long as you can talk about what you learned from your work exp/volunteering you'll be fine.
(edited 10 years ago)
I have ukcat 715 and ucas 540ish(tbc). That's alright to apply for barts right? And will they be using the SJT bands?
Hello everyone. I have just contacted BArts and they have confirmed,

Any Qualification that gives UCAS points stated on the UCAS website will be taken into account, if submitted.
Hi guys, I've just done my UKCAT and I only got a 670 average which I'm pretty gutted about to be honest but not all hope is lost! I'm either going to be predicted A*A*A*A or A*A*A*A* and I have 58 UCAS points from music and ASSET. I really want to apply to Barts but I'm terrified that my UKCAT isn't high enough! I don't really know where I'd have a good chance of applying for my other 3 places because my gcse's aren't that fantastic with 4A*s 6As and 1B and the B being in english language. I love barts, if only we could all get in haha :smile:
Original post by saucysalamander
Hi guys, I've just done my UKCAT and I only got a 670 average which I'm pretty gutted about to be honest but not all hope is lost! I'm either going to be predicted A*A*A*A or A*A*A*A* and I have 58 UCAS points from music and ASSET. I really want to apply to Barts but I'm terrified that my UKCAT isn't high enough! I don't really know where I'd have a good chance of applying for my other 3 places because my gcse's aren't that fantastic with 4A*s 6As and 1B and the B being in english language. I love barts, if only we could all get in haha :smile:

Hi there! Don't worry about your UKCAT too much it's a decent enough score. I'm starting at Barts this year and got in with a very low score of 645 :biggrin: . It's not the end of the world and your UCAS tariff seems very good with those predictions.
Original post by mariomario1
Hi there! Don't worry about your UKCAT too much it's a decent enough score. I'm starting at Barts this year and got in with a very low score of 645 :biggrin: . It's not the end of the world and your UCAS tariff seems very good with those predictions.

What was your tariff?

How much emphasis do Bart's put on your personal statement like at interview, do they have any specific criteria?
Reply 178
Does anyone think i will get in here...
GCSE's 5xA* 6xA
AS 4xA
Alevel predictions 4xA
UKCAT 2800 (700 average)
I have grade 8 violin (distinction) and grade 6 piano (pass) which equates to 100 ucas points
UCAS prediction is 580

Thank you!! Where else did you apply?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending