The Student Room Group

Realistic to ask to raise my BBC prediction to AAA?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by randomer12
I know but if I get AAA then I will be majorly pissed at them for not predicting me AAA

Oh my B in biology isn't an A because of my ISA
My C in chem isn't an A because of my EMPA

I did a lot of revision during study leave
I thought it required same revision as GCSE's - wrong move, that's how

I am aware of that but now I know what it's like to do A levels

Excuse me moany little girl and listen to those smarter.

You can not las your teachers will be lying and will mean you get rejected based on that instead of your academia
Original post by infairverona
There's no point in them giving you that prediction. It's rare for people to raise every grade by at least one grade - for them to predict you one up and one which is two up is quite silly and honestly, it'll be worse for you. Even if you manage to get offers based on that, if you don't meet them then you won't get in anyway. It'd be better for you to apply for places within your reach, maybe ABB-BBB places, which are more realistic.

Your teachers won't give you grades they feel are unrealistic so it's not a matter of convincing them, more whether they think you will get that grade or not. It looks bad on them to predict you a grade you then do not proceed to achieve.

Finally - even if you are predicted those grades, medical schools do not take those as the be all and end all. A teacher saying you are predicted AAA means squat when the grades you have actually got are BBC. That conveys more about your real ability than what your teacher has predicted you and unis are aware that some places do give their students 2 grades up on their predicted grades. It doesn't mean you will get those grades. If you're dead set on medicine either have a gap year after you have got AAA if you do, and in the meantime apply to places for biochem/biomedical science degrees and consider postgraduate medicine.

Your rhetoric is disgusting, it's perfectly possible to get AAA with BCC, MANY have done it.
Reply 22
Original post by SteelCookie
Teachers tend to overpredict for people with bad AS Grades, especially for Medicine. Your best bet would be to work hard this year and get AAA or A*AA this year by re-sitting some papers and apply in 2015. It would mean you have to take a gap year but then again, you'd have your results which may prove to be an advantage when applying against AS Students with "predicted" A2's.

Well if I get AAA, my teachers will have triggered freaking WW3 with my parents they better be ready on results day lmfao

Jokes aside yeah I am going to work extremely hard this year and hopefully I will be able to reapply with some good grades :smile:

I just dont know what to do if I am not predicted AAA
Reply 23
Yeah well that was my plan! To get AAA and take a gap year (if I didn't get AAA but got into my 5th choice which is psychology, I will go do that and then enter as a graduate if I do well enough in my degree!)

But if I get AAA I would like it to have paid off this year! Okay I will try persuade them for AAA but what if they refuse? what do I do next? still apply? :/

well all I know is that I am aiming to finish the school year with AAA regardless of what my teachers think

Chances are that you probably realistically won't get into Medicine this year.
It sounds harsh but it really is the brutal reality for such a competitive course. I also will not get into Medicine this year with my grades, hence the fact I'm having to consider other viable options.

Just remember that if you really want to do medicine, you won't care how long it takes, be it in 2 years time to in 10 years time. You'll get there eventually providing you really, really want it.

Edit: If you're not predicted AAA then again as everyone else as said, you may not want to do Biomedicine however it's a very viable option, considering some of the medicine course is in fact biomedicine. It will also take the same length roughly until you're where you want to be, be it taking a 1 year gap year then doing a 6 year course for example, or a 3 year biomedicine course followed by 4 years of GEM. GEM may be competitive but again I reiterate, if you're that passionate to practice medicine, you'll do everything to get it.
(edited 10 years ago)
It sure can

Telling me how it is? You have been telling me I can't get AAA
IDC where your school was top whatever there are 3 other private schools in my city and they are ALL incredibly different and I KNOW that for a FACT so don't go telling me they aren't run that much differently bullcrap

Well I will just have to see wont I

Erm no it can't. I haven't said you "can't" get AAA because you do hear of it happening. What I have said is I think it's unlikely because you worked hard and got BBC. So I don't know why you think you can get AAA but that's your problem. You asked whether you think it's realistic to ask for AAA predictions, I'm saying no I don't think it is realistic. Whether or not you can/will get those grades is another story. If you want medicine though as others have said it would be better to have a gap year and apply when you have got those grades because right now it's really not likely you will get in anywhere which I'd imagine is not a nice feeling at all.
They should at least give me the chance and I know I will probably be rejected by all 4 med uni's I apply to with predictions max 2 grades above my actual grades
I know even if I get offers that I might not get in I am aware of all this

so I dont see the harm in being predicted AAA

The harm is not directly towards you, but your school may get a reputation for overprediction and consequently other students from your school may suffer.
Reply 26
Original post by Bixel
Chances are that you probably realistically won't get into Medicine this year.
It sounds harsh but it really is the brutal reality for such a competitive course. I also will not get into Medicine this year with my grades, hence the fact I'm having to consider other viable options.

Just remember that if you really want to do medicine, you won't care how long it takes, be it in 2 years time to in 10 years time. You'll get there eventually providing you really, really want it.

Yeah I am aware of that :frown: but doesn't mean next year I cant so I am holding onto that

So are you going down the Biochem/Biomed route?

Yes IDC to wait another year plus I get to do my UKCAT again I do really really want it!
Original post by Lord Frieza
Your rhetoric is disgusting, it's perfectly possible to get AAA with BCC, MANY have done it.

My rhetoric or my realism/pragmatism? It might have been easier when there were January exams but that's not the case now. Especially for someone who worked hard and got BBC.
Reply 28
Original post by Bixel

Edit: If you're not predicted AAA then again as everyone else as said, you may not want to do Biomedicine however it's a very viable option, considering some of the medicine course is in fact biomedicine. It will also take the same length roughly until you're where you want to be, be it taking a 1 year gap year then doing a 6 year course for example, or a 3 year biomedicine course followed by 4 years of GEM. GEM may be competitive but again I reiterate, if you're that passionate to practice medicine, you'll do everything to get it.

Yeah I think I should think about it I have to do something! But Can I keep my P.S the same? as I have already written it months ago!

I just dont think if I do biomed that I can get a degree high enough to do GEM hence why I was thinking Psychology since I like it and I have a higher chance of doing well enough to do GEM
Reply 29
Yeah I am aware of that :frown: but doesn't mean next year I cant so I am holding onto that

So are you going down the Biochem/Biomed route?

Yes IDC to wait another year plus I get to do my UKCAT again I do really really want it!

Yeah, I'm not giving up yet either.

Doing the Biomedicine route because it's something I just generally have an interest in, as well as clinical medicine.

Go for it then, always worth applying this year anyhow, to biomedicine or medicine.

Just make sure you spend the next year/two years well! I.e. getting lots of experience, attending a few lectures here and there, show your passion! I'm sure this along with the grades you plan to achieve next year will make a strong application
Well if I get AAA, my teachers will have triggered freaking WW3 with my parents they better be ready on results day lmfao

Jokes aside yeah I am going to work extremely hard this year and hopefully I will be able to reapply with some good grades :smile:

I just dont know what to do if I am not predicted AAA

Your parents might be able to force your schools hand, it won't force the Universities you are applying to. It's a waste of time trying to get the predictions because virtually all applicants will have atleast 3 A's. They have thousands of applicants and you'll just be another who's going into the shredder. It's not like they have any shortage of top people applying.

I know it sounds harsh but I am in the exact position as you. You should forget about applying this year and really just focus on your studies. You'll have a lot more modules to sit and learn and having false hope in an offer from a Uni will just trouble you more.

If you really want to do medicine, you'll eventually get in. Forget about University as a whole for this year and absolutely annihilate them A-Levels. Forget predictions, forget UKCAT, BMAT, forget everything.
Reply 31
Yeah well that was my plan! To get AAA and take a gap year (if I didn't get AAA but got into my 5th choice which is psychology, I will go do that and then enter as a graduate if I do well enough in my degree!)

But if I get AAA I would like it to have paid off this year! Okay I will try persuade them for AAA but what if they refuse? what do I do next? still apply? :/

well all I know is that I am aiming to finish the school year with AAA regardless of what my teachers think

I wish you the best of luck in proving your teachers wrong, but look at it from their prospective, every year they get kids who are far off achieving A grades at AS who want A grade A-level predictions for university. The majority of these students won't improve their grades so it's far too risky to ruin their own reputation as well their college's or sixth form's. If you do achieve 3 As on the day, you can potentially get in on results day through contacting all the medical schools, I know a few people have done so this year. And if not take a gap year and reapply, people wait years to study medicine through graduate entry programs and hard work, one gap year is nothing.
Reply 32
Original post by infairverona
Erm no it can't. I haven't said you "can't" get AAA because you do hear of it happening. What I have said is I think it's unlikely because you worked hard and got BBC. So I don't know why you think you can get AAA but that's your problem. You asked whether you think it's realistic to ask for AAA predictions, I'm saying no I don't think it is realistic. Whether or not you can/will get those grades is another story. If you want medicine though as others have said it would be better to have a gap year and apply when you have got those grades because right now it's really not likely you will get in anywhere which I'd imagine is not a nice feeling at all.

I worked hard in the month before exams but I also worked hard on my P.S too, I actually started working "properly" during study leave, obvs wasn't enough
So I got BCC in the 3 A levels I was planning to carry on through A2 (I do have a 4th AS btw (B or C grade I have forgotten) just not talking about it)

B in Biol, C in Chem, C in Psychol - AS results (C'S WERE HIGH C's!!)
B C B - predictions for A2

The predictions for A2 were done before AS results came out so IDK f it will change it

But I really want to do medicine and I know with hard work I can get AAA but the only thing bothering me is there are no Jan exams :frown: So maybe I can apply for something thats around ABB-AAB because no Jan exams makes things twice as hard

would it be too unrealistic? I mean I am incredibly motivated to get AAA - I have already started reading ahead in my subjects and making sure I can answer the qu's while I am reading ahead (hopefully this will make it easier for me to understand in lessons)
I am very determined to get AAA IDK how I mucked up with all the revision I did, but this stuff happens, I gotta move on and get AAA
If I do get AAA I can always take a gap year I know but I would like to have the chance from now

IDK how to convince my teachers though!!!! In the end it's me who will be effected by this, not them, so............ THEY CANT TAKE MY DREAM AWAY FROM ME! I NEED THIS CHANCE!

Unlikely you will get 3 As if im being honest, ive seen people do it in my year, but only as they had Jan and June exam sessions to bump up their grades.

The best way to get a higher prediction is to work super hard, be outstanding in class and tests, as well as homework, and show you go above and beyond the course.

But its unlikely you will be predicted 3 As, one grade above is optimistic for anyone
So I got BCC in the 3 A levels I was planning to carry on through A2 (I do have a 4th AS btw (B or C grade I have forgotten) just not talking about it)

B in Biol, C in Chem, C in Psychol - AS results (C'S WERE HIGH C's!!)
B C B - predictions for A2

The predictions for A2 were done before AS results came out so IDK f it will change it

But I really want to do medicine and I know with hard work I can get AAA but the only thing bothering me is there are no Jan exams :frown: So maybe I can apply for something thats around ABB-AAB because no Jan exams makes things twice as hard

would it be too unrealistic? I mean I am incredibly motivated to get AAA - I have already started reading ahead in my subjects and making sure I can answer the qu's while I am reading ahead (hopefully this will make it easier for me to understand in lessons)
I am very determined to get AAA IDK how I mucked up with all the revision I did, but this stuff happens, I gotta move on and get AAA
If I do get AAA I can always take a gap year I know but I would like to have the chance from now

IDK how to convince my teachers though!!!! In the end it's me who will be effected by this, not them, so............ THEY CANT TAKE MY DREAM AWAY FROM ME! I NEED THIS CHANCE!

i have a friend who got an offer at Bristol with the same grades at AS- some universities don't particularly look hard at your AS grades, only GCSE. APPLY STRATEGICALLY and work to your strengths (i.e. UKCAT, GCSEs) if you're so certain and keen to do medicine, this is the year to smash your A levels and maybe reapply once you have them in the bag!
Reply 35
Original post by Bixel
Yeah, I'm not giving up yet either.

Doing the Biomedicine route because it's something I just generally have an interest in, as well as clinical medicine.

Go for it then, always worth applying this year anyhow, to biomedicine or medicine.

Just make sure you spend the next year/two years well! I.e. getting lots of experience, attending a few lectures here and there, show your passion! I'm sure this along with the grades you plan to achieve next year will make a strong application

Ah well thats good for you!! I wish I had an interest in Biomed as I did for Psychology lol
Yeah I might aswell use my application this year :smile:

I have already got a lot of this stuff like W.E and lectures and volunteering etc which is making my P.S look good as I have a bunch of stuff that I have learnt and taken from my experiences which has made it a no brainer that medicine is what I want to do

Thanks I hope everything works out for you too good luck!!
Reply 36
I worked hard in the month before exams but I also worked hard on my P.S too, I actually started working "properly" during study leave, obvs wasn't enough

Trust me starting even two months before the exams will still not guarantee you getting the AAA.

Gotta start working now, keeping both the AS and A2 courses fresh in your mind everyday. Short, sharp bursts of revision now up until next June (even if you're revising the course 40 times over), is a whole lot better than say 6 hours of revision a day the week before the exam.

Got to get these courses into your long term memory and work on it, rather than your short term memory. This was definitely my downfall this year, hence why I'm having to apply the next cycle.

As someone told me today, pick yourself up, and it's what you do now that'll make you the person you want to be in the future
Reply 37
They should at least give me the chance and I know I will probably be rejected by all 4 med uni's I apply to with predictions max 2 grades above my actual grades
I know even if I get offers that I might not get in I am aware of all this

so I dont see the harm in being predicted AAA

"I know even if I get offers that I might not get in I am aware of all this". To me that just sums it all up for me, if you are doubting yourself about getting AAA then how do you expect teachers to predict you all A's, if I were you I'd be asking for a more realistic prediction and not something that to be fair is way out of your league, A2 is harder than AS and you didn't exactly do outstanding in your AS's to be eligible for an AAA prediction, the best I could probably hope for with your grades is ABB which in my opinion would be very generous of them too. Good luck in your future studies.
even if you don't get AAA as your predictions and don't get an offer from the university of your choice, if you achieve AAA you can go through clearing where the university will accept you most likely as other applicants who recieved offers will not have met the requirements for this course.
-

The real question is why should they bother raising your predicted grades? You were given what you deserved based on your previous academic performance and so the system is based off solid information.

Literally dozens of threads are posted in the weeks after results day with similar questions to this and the same answer applies to all - You chose to not put the effort in and so you pay the consequences, we live in a society where you have to prove your worth and if you can't then you'll stay at the bottom so this situation is probably a good life lesson.

Quick Reply

Latest