The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Every Series Waterloo Road gets worse and worse, and yet I'm still watching it. :smile:
Original post by Lucas.
Woo, another person in the MEI Maths crew. :cool:

Yeboi. :yy:
sorry for this depressing post but i need help !!

basically today was my second day of college - i go to a sixth form college, and i have had a chat with a few people in my classes but not really... um at 'friends level'? so yeah i already know it's going to be tough making friends :s-smilie:

i thought there will be loads more people like me who don't know anyone in the college and i had to move places since i went to a private school which didn't have a sixth form. But it turns out many people moved in with their friends from their own secondary school so they have their own little groups and it seems like they're not bothered adding newbies to their groups. at my private grammar school i knew everyone since it was quite small and had alot of friends, but now i think i'll be facing two years of loneliness. even the people in my tutor group are so antisocial :confused:
is there a way to get closer to the people i have classes with since it seems they're the only people i can befriend.

i do see other people like me who don't know anyone but we don't have any lessons together so it's A NO.
Original post by Rasentenshou

basically today was my second day of college - i go to a sixth form college, and i have had a chat with a few people in my classes but not really... um at 'friends level'? so yeah i already know it's going to be tough making friends :s-smilie:

i thought there will be loads more people like me who don't know anyone in the college and i had to move places since i went to a private school which didn't have a sixth form. But it turns out many people moved in with their friends from their own secondary school so they have their own little groups and it seems like they're not bothered adding newbies to their groups. at my private grammar school i knew everyone since it was quite small and had alot of friends, but now i think i'll be facing two years of loneliness. even the people in my tutor group are so antisocial :confused:
is there a way to get closer to the people i have classes with since it seems they're the only people i can befriend.

i do see other people like me who don't know anyone but we don't have any lessons together so it's A NO.

Mines a less extreme version of yours :tongue:

State ---> Private
Original post by Red Fox
I have gone stupid over the holidays can someone help me with Maths. Fully factorise (x=y)^2 + (x+y)(2x+5y)

I am presuming the = means a plus first expand the brackets then treat the expression as if it just contained one of x or y.

I have just quickly done the question for you if you get really stuck you can open the spoiler:

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Dalek1099
I am presuming the = means a plus first expand the brackets then treat the expression as if it just contained one of x or y.

I have just quickly done the question for you if you get really stuck you can open the spoiler:

Spoiler

Yeah it was meant to be a +, and thanks:redface:
Original post by Rasentenshou

I didn't change sixth form, but I'm at a sixth form with a lot of new people. My best advice is to - as you're doing - chat to the people next to you, and ask to compare timetables. Most timetables have a name at the top - make a mental note of their name, and - if you have it - add them on Facebook later, (maybe accompanied with a message saying who you are). Don't be afraid to ask them for help if you get stuck, most people would be very happy to help out! In form time, unless your tutor demands total silence, chat to the person next to you - ask them how their evening was, what subjects they have today etc. Also don't be afraid to join in with conversations around you, unless it's obviously very private. For example, (using the stereotypical agony aunt example) if you hear someone talking about a band you like, leap in say something like "Oooh, _______, I love them! Have you heard their new song?". Or if you hear someone talking about a teacher you have, ask how they found them and so on. Just be chatty and friendly, without putting on a totally fake personality.
Also remember, you've been at your sixth form for under a week. Your friendships will develop over time - don't panic!
Reply 4227
Not a bad first day, induction then Maths and double Chemistry...

However we're doing the full Maths AS and A2 level this year, then the further maths a level next year... I still haven't decided if that is good or bad :lol:
Reply 4228
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Why no change my exam boards?!:fuhrer:

I did :confused: what are they again i'll re-do them :unimpressed:
Original post by techno836
I did :confused: what are they again i'll re-do them :unimpressed:

Maths and Further - WJEC
Physics and Chemistry - OCR A

That's all to change :tongue:
Reply 4230
Original post by Glitch96
I finally know my GCSE results, an exact average of B's :colonhash: Onwards to A levels and solid A*'s, and if I kill myself in the process then oh well!

Sixth form seems good so far, and my subjects don't seem too hard, Math C1 has sequences and Economics has news of the week :tongue: Computing classwork even includes actively blogging! This should be a breeze (I bet I've spoken WAY too soon).

Could you add me too please?

Maths: Edexcel
Physics: AQA
Economics: AQA
Computing: OCR

Thanks in advance! :biggrin:

Done :h:
My school has prefect applications starting in the next 2 weeks for Year 12s, ooh how exciting.
Reply 4232
Maths and Further - WJEC
Physics and Chemistry - OCR A

That's all to change :tongue:

Okay i've done it, although i'm sure i did it before :lol:
Original post by Georgiecat
I didn't change sixth form, but I'm at a sixth form with a lot of new people. My best advice is to - as you're doing - chat to the people next to you, and ask to compare timetables. Most timetables have a name at the top - make a mental note of their name, and - if you have it - add them on Facebook later, (maybe accompanied with a message saying who you are). Don't be afraid to ask them for help if you get stuck, most people would be very happy to help out! In form time, unless your tutor demands total silence, chat to the person next to you - ask them how their evening was, what subjects they have today etc. Also don't be afraid to join in with conversations around you, unless it's obviously very private. For example, (using the stereotypical agony aunt example) if you hear someone talking about a band you like, leap in say something like "Oooh, _______, I love them! Have you heard their new song?". Or if you hear someone talking about a teacher you have, ask how they found them and so on. Just be chatty and friendly, without putting on a totally fake personality.
Also remember, you've been at your sixth form for under a week. Your friendships will develop over time - don't panic!

thanks for the advice and yeah im trying to start or join in conversations and it's not been mind blowing but not awkward as well :smile: my psychology teacher said that there will be group activities in class so hopefully that will help me out

if you don't mind me asking how are the new people in your sixth form coping ?
Reply 4234
Original post by NinjaPandaa
for the first post: maths (ocr) f.maths (ocr) mandarin (edexcel) economics (ocr) English lit (aqa) :smile:

Added you :h:
Original post by techno836
Okay i've done it, although i'm sure i did it before :lol:

Hmmm.. Thanks!

There's not enough time.in the day :frown: gonna disappear now
Reply 4236
Original post by Dalek1099
Fortunately, I don't do D1 till A2 and by then the lecturers could decide to change modules and if you look at D1 in a textbook the majority of the contents looks like a different subject to Maths and looks a bit like ICT.What was the Maths you were learning?

I agree with that it just seemed like a different subject and it didn't seem like maths :/ it was just simple algorithms and the two languages Sudo english and the other one :lol:
Reply 4237
Hmmm.. Thanks!

There's not enough time.in the day :frown: gonna disappear now

haha no problem :h: i'm going to bed in a minute too :/
Guys, the best way to get positive attention in sixth form when you have a formal dress code, is a bow tie and braces. It's like a constant stream of compliments, day in and day out
Reply 4239
To all you people who are doing Maths, do you get to choose which modules you do? Or do you get told what to do? Because I'll be honest, I'm so not up for Mechanics... Whereas Decision looks pretty cool.

Latest