The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lucas.
To all you people who are doing Maths, do you get to choose which modules you do? Or do you get told what to do? Because I'll be honest, I'm so not up for Mechanics... Whereas Decision looks pretty cool.

For one sixth form I applied to, you could choose statistics or mechanics, but for the one I ended up going to they allocated modules based on your other subjects - if you were doing physics, you did mechanics, whilst if you did geography or biology you got stats. For everybody else it was more or less random, but on the first day everyone not doing physics who was in mechanics was given the option to change, and almost all of them took it.
Original post by Rasentenshou
thanks for the advice and yeah im trying to start or join in conversations and it's not been mind blowing but not awkward as well :smile: my psychology teacher said that there will be group activities in class so hopefully that will help me out

if you don't mind me asking how are the new people in your sixth form coping ?

Okay, yeah, that should be helpful! Just give it a few days...
They seem to be in a similar situation to you, in that they haven't fully settled in yet, but (like you) they're getting there! They also seem to hang around in groups, but I presume that will stop after a few weeks when they become more integrated with us lot :smile:
Reply 4242
First full day at sixth form and realised how tiring it is. I'm knackered and the hours have flown by since I got home! Now it's nearly time for bed
Reply 4243
Original post by Georgiecat
For one sixth form I applied to, you could choose statistics or mechanics, but for the one I ended up going to they allocated modules based on your other subjects - if you were doing physics, you did mechanics, whilst if you did geography or biology you got stats. For everybody else it was more or less random, but on the first day everyone not doing physics who was in mechanics was given the option to change, and almost all of them took it.

Ohh that doesn't sound too bad. :smile: I hope my sixth form college do the same hahah. Thanks. :smile: I just really can't stand a few months doing something that is essentially Physics.. There's a reason I didn't choose Physics at A level!
(edited 10 years ago)
4 hours between lessons.....

And I can't leave school.....any advice?
Original post by Lucas.
Ohh that doesn't sound too bad. :smile: I hope my sixth form college do the same hahah. Thanks. :smile: I just really can't stand a few months doing something that is essentially Physics.. There's a reason I didn't choose Physics at A level!

Haha, same! Luckily I'm doing biology and geography A-levels, so I was pretty much guaranteed stats. I think, unless you're doing further maths, you do either stats or mechanics alongside core - most colleges don't offer decision as the additional unit for maths, as far as I know.
Original post by Dannyboy1236
4 hours between lessons.....

And I can't leave school.....any advice?

Fap in toilets :biggrin:
Original post by iJess
First full day at sixth form and realised how tiring it is. I'm knackered and the hours have flown by since I got home! Now it's nearly time for bed

Yeah I know that feeling!
I've only been at sixth form for two days and I'm even tired before I walk past the school gates. :s-smilie:
Original post by Elm Tree

Yeah,,,,,,not in those toilets......

Have you seen them?

LMAO

On an unrelated note, anyone know what the General studies exams will involve? looks like it's mandatory at my sixth form :/ apparently it's useless as well
Original post by Dannyboy1236
Yeah,,,,,,not in those toilets......

Have you seen them?

22-895.jpg

Something like this I'm guessing? :wink:

But in all seriousness, do they have a library or computer room you could revise in or something?
Original post by Glitch96
LMAO

On an unrelated note, anyone know what the General studies exams will involve? looks like it's mandatory at my sixth form :/ apparently it's useless as well

Ah, unlucky :frown:.

I'm lucky enough to not be doing general studies :awesome:
Reply 4252
Original post by Georgiecat
Haha, same! Luckily I'm doing biology and geography A-levels, so I was pretty much guaranteed stats. I think, unless you're doing further maths, you do either stats or mechanics alongside core - most colleges don't offer decision as the additional unit for maths, as far as I know.

Ahh well I'd still rather do stats than mechanics haha. :tongue:

I'm not doing Further Maths, so I have a feeling I'll be safe. :tongue:
Reply 4253
Anyone know if the combination of C1-4, FP1-2, M1-4, D1-2 is possible to do?
Everyone in N London , how disgusting does it smell everywhere outside !
Original post by sarahiscool
Everyone in N London , how disgusting does it smell everywhere outside !

I smell nothing :K:
Original post by Lucas.
To all you people who are doing Maths, do you get to choose which modules you do? Or do you get told what to do? Because I'll be honest, I'm so not up for Mechanics... Whereas Decision looks pretty cool.

I don't get to choose because I'm doing Further, but if I wasn't I could've chosen either M1&2 or S1&2 alongside C1-4. Mechanics looks good! I'm excited to start it, having looked at a past paper some of it is stuff I learnt at GCSE Physics :smile: whereas Decision is about algorithms and other weird stuff :tongue:
Original post by Lucas.

We have to do decision in the first year :/ dont know even know what to expect!
Reply 4258
Original post by Lucas.

We get the choice :smile:
I smell nothing :K:

maybe its just NW London then, I feel sick whenever I go outside and a lot of my friends who live like 30 minutes away from me have the same smell :s-smilie:

Latest