The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lucy96
Is it weird that I'm going to miss this thread and all of the people in it once we go to university? :tongue: It's actually a sad thought :colondollar:

That's sweet! I'm sure you'll meet similarly nice people on the relevant uni thread! :smile:
Original post by Grace_14
Oh really? That's lovely - I haven't actually seen the uni yet, just the city quite a lot - that's really great to know though. The accommodation seems so hit & miss.

I'll just warn you now- pretty much all of the buildings are 70s style concrete so yeah, not as nice as the actual city
Original post by Lucy96
Is it weird that I'm going to miss this thread and all of the people in it once we go to university? :tongue: It's actually a sad thought :colondollar:

Spoiler

:frown:
Original post by Felix Felicis

Spoiler

Dem feels :frown:

I'll try to stay in tsr contact with regular peeps but it won't be the same
Original post by Robbie242
balls

she said maybe again, but at least I'm allowed to do stuff other than c3 and c4 in lessons now

what happened? Are they not allowing you to do your own modules?
Reply 2585
Original post by Lucy96

Spoiler

Dem feels :frown:

I'll try to stay in tsr contact with regular peeps but it won't be the same
We can just start a Class of 2014 thread in chat? :yep:

Oh, and any mathematicians mind to taking a look at something for me? Not a problem per se, I'd just like to see how something can be done... :holmes:
Original post by Pandora.

Oh, and any mathematicians mind to taking a look at something for me? Not a problem per se, I'd just like to see how something can be done... :holmes:

I wouldn't really call myself a mathematician but go ahead :smile:

I suppose! :biggrin:

And sure fire away!
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
what happened? Are they not allowing you to do your own modules?

In summary:
S1remark - no
Avoid D1 - no
Do more than just c3 and c4 in lessons - yes
Afm - maybe
Reply 2589
I wouldn't really call myself a mathematician but go ahead :smile:

I suppose! :biggrin:

And sure fire away!
Thank you! :h:

Basically, an example in my textbook has this expression:
x2(3(x+2)2)+(x+2)2(2x)x^2(3(x+2)^2) + (x+2)^2(2x)

And has factorised it into

x(x+2)2(3x+2(x+2))x(x+2)^2(3x + 2(x+2))

Now am I missing something obvious here? I tried for half an hour to get that factorised expression but couldn't do it! Where on earth are you meant to start? :biggrin:
In summary:
S1remark - no
Avoid D1 - no
Do more than just c3 and c4 in lessons - yes
Afm - maybe

That's strange, my teachers are trying to persuade me to do AFM AS, but I just keep refusing as I have 2 other subjects (on top of Maths and FM) to do aswell.

you could always redo S1, if you wanted?

Now am I missing something obvious here? I tried for half an hour to get that factorised expression but couldn't do it! Where on earth are you meant to start? :biggrin:

Take out x and (x+2)^2 as a factor from both sides and see what you end up with :smile:

Take out of common factor of x and (x+2)^2 and you will see they got it wrong there is no x+2 left over

That's a really weird way they've written the original expression :eyeball: Edit: nevermind, you've edited your post now. :tongue:

The answer isn't equivalent to your expression.
(edited 10 years ago)
That's a really weird way they've written the original expression :eyeball:

The answer isn't equivalent to your expression.

Yh I just noticed that! It didn't look right to me :zomg:
Reply 2595
Take out x and (x+2)^2 as a factor from both sides and see what you end up with :smile:

Take out of common factor of x and (x+2)^2 and you will see they got it wrong there is no x+2 left over
I keep getting halfway there then losing my way. I think I'm too tired. :redface:

Let me get some coffee and I'll give it another go. :biggrin:
That's strange, my teachers are trying to persuade me to do AFM AS, but I just keep refusing as I have 2 other subjects (on top of Maths and FM) to do aswell.

you could always redo S1, if you wanted?

Interesting. Nah its just for Cambridge ums, overall i dont need to retake anything.
Reply 2597
Right, that's strange. There was a second question which I couldn't do either for the same reason. Nice of the book to waste my lesson. :rolleyes:

Thanks for clearing that up you 3. :biggrin: I thought I was going mad!
Interesting. Nah its just for Cambridge ums, overall i dont need to retake anything.

I see what you mean but S1 mark isn't really of that much importance for Maths, it's more important for things like Economics :colone:, so I doubt it'll disadvantage you much.
Reply 2599
I just heard my maths class will be cut from 24 to 12.....

I swear my set wasnt thaaaat bad?! D:

Latest