The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2360
Original post by sunfowers01
Thanks for the advice. I'm being thrown in at the deep end and start with my own classes on the 12th. I'm teaching ESL. The thing is I don't have any confidence in myself.

I didn't have any confidence, and still it's lower than it should be!

I read this thing the other day for people starting their nqt year but much of it applies equally for trainees. One point said:

It is completely normal to feel like you're bluffing at being a teacher, and that soon someone will find you out.

This really resonates with me, and its comforting because I know it resonates with my peers who I know are fantastic teachers.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by el244
I'm starting on the 12th too and have the exact same worries! But I think you're right - they don't expect us to be perfect straight away. By the end of next year we'll have changed so much, I expect! Eek!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Where are you doing yours? Your right, it's weird to think that hopefully we will be NQTS this time next year!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2362
Original post by outlaw-torn
Where are you doing yours? Your right, it's weird to think that hopefully we will be NQTS this time next year!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing a joint course with MMU and RNCM (I'm doing music!) :smile:! How about you? I know!!! It is so strange when just now I am wondering what on earth I'll be like as a teacher...!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

And trust me it won't be long until you're fully qualified :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by el244
I'm doing a joint course with MMU and RNCM (I'm doing music!) :smile:! How about you? I know!!! It is so strange when just now I am wondering what on earth I'll be like as a teacher...!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awesome, I'm going to MMU too :biggrin: but doing History!
Reply 2365
Awesome, I'm going to MMU too :biggrin: but doing History!

Woohoo!!! Might see you around next week at some point then! :biggrin:

EDIT: Also, if you have Facebook, there's a MMU PGCE Secondary page on there - you might already be on it, but if not it is there :smile:!
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm going to MMU too, to do primary :-) x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by el244
Woohoo!!! Might see you around next week at some point then! :biggrin:

EDIT: Also, if you have Facebook, there's a MMU PGCE Secondary page on there - you might already be on it, but if not it is there :smile:!

I'm already on it! it's been very useful :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2368
MMU guys! I'm applying this time to do Drama!
Let me know about the course and stuff, if you have any tips for the interview that would be greatly appreciated. :smile:
Do we have to do anything to get the TA bursary or is it automatic? I paid my whole fee the other day so the bursary is very much needed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2370
Original post by Mr Advice
Do we have to do anything to get the TA bursary or is it automatic? I paid my whole fee the other day so the bursary is very much needed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's sorted out through your uni rather than direct with govt. You will have to fill in and sign a form with the details of the
back account you want it paid In to. My form also had instalment options - 10 or 9 installments I think... Not sure how that translates for different bursary amounts. I will note that you might not get the first payment for a month or so from now.

If you haven't already received it I'd ask them- they may get you to sign it on the first day or something. They certainly should give you the form automatically, you don't have to request it or anything like that.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by kpwxx
It's sorted out through your uni rather than direct with govt. You will have to fill in and sign a form with the details of the
back account you want it paid In to. My form also had instalment options - 10 or 9 installments I think... Not sure how that translates for different bursary amounts. I will note that you might not get the first payment for a month or so from now.

If you haven't already received it I'd ask them- they may get you to sign it on the first day or something. They certainly souls give you the form automatically, you don't have to request it or anything like that.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you very much :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2372
I start my PGCE on Monday so am a mixture of nerves and excitement, it's been so long since we all applied I want to get started now. Has anyone started yet?
X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by carla-85
I start my PGCE on Monday so am a mixture of nerves and excitement, it's been so long since we all applied I want to get started now. Has anyone started yet?
X

Posted from TSR Mobile

What subject will you be teaching?
Reply 2374
It's primary so everything really! The thought of doing maths makes me feel a little sick. How about you? X

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's primary so everything really! The thought of doing maths makes me feel a little sick. How about you? X

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sure you'll be fine once you get into the swing of things. I'm teaching maths for the first time this year (am a science teacher) and I'm really nervous too! They're a lower ability year 8 group so hopefully I'll be ok!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2376

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't stress yourself out about the maths!

Your uni will be well aware that many people are anxious about maths and lack confidence (and trust me you absolutely won't be the only one!). They will try and help you to understand the maths more in a flexible way (not say this is the right method and thats it) and give you confidence in teaching it. You can always go to your friends on the course to ask for advice or just vent your worries! Plus, you don't have to be a super whiz at something to teach it well. Teachers don't always have all the answers, that's not the point (unless you follow behaviourism), as long as you help the child to explore and figure out the answer with them!

xxx
I'm starting my Primary PGCE on Monday and I'm very excited :smile:. Can anyone tell me what bits and bobs do I need to buy at this stage? Like stationary etc. :smile:
Original post by Jemmylou134
I'm starting my Primary PGCE on Monday and I'm very excited :smile:. Can anyone tell me what bits and bobs do I need to buy at this stage? Like stationary etc. :smile:

Started mine yesterday and I would say at the moment only pen and paper tbh. I would wait before buying books because you don't wanna be spending tons of money on books you might not use/need.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I need help :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest