The Student Room Group

ENGB3 AQA 3rd June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by anniele
Please please can somebody comfort me and say they spoke about the broadening of the word 'club' and pejoration of the word 'cock'? It felt so wrong writing about them in an exam haha! I had a lot to say for language acquisition, but I couldn't tell if the newspaper was English or American so wasn't really sure what angle to take!

I nearly wrote about pejoration of the word cock but didn't as thought might be bit out of context and not appropriate.
Did anyone get an unexpectedly low grade?
Reply 243
Original post by Anna.Karenina

Yes but it wasn't totally unexpected if I'm honest, I cried after this exam! Annoyingly my mark kept me from getting the grade I wanted though. How about you?
Reply 244
I got a B, A in exam D in coursework lol!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I felt that I had completely flunked this exam, I wrote less than two pages for the Language Acqusition question i threw in Chomsky and Skinner but I felt that I was making it up as I went along! Language change was worse!, I really did feel I done rubbish! I had to miss so many lessons in the 6 weeks before the exam because my coursework was so rubbish I had to start again with just two weeks to go until the deadline! On top of that, I only decided 4 days before the AS exam that I wanted to resit it (and paid £60 for the privilege!) I was so convinced that I'd fail! What did I get?? ... an A!!! I got 105 on unit 3 and 108 on unit 1 despite only getting entered for it two days before the exam! - that's what I really dont like about English.... Unlike Maths, you can never accurately predict what you got in an exam!!!
Reply 246

got a D in the exam.... cost me my firm uni as I was one mark off
Got an A in the exam 101 ums I wanted 107 to get an A* but oh well I got my uni place regardless and I'm not the type of person who's gonna storm off and cry because they didn't get an a*!! I'm chuffed as I originally got 84 so big improvement 😃

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know it's not exceptionally low, but I got a B which I was shocked about having consistently gotten full marks in every one of my practice essays. I didn't feel the exam went particularly badly either...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 249
The same as some other people here, English is my best subject, and I did so so so many past papers which my teacher marked for me. I was consistently getting A's and an occasional high B, at AS I had an A for both exam and coursework, and at A2 I had an A for coursework but a C for the exam, which I was really surprised at. I did feel the exam didnt go as well as it could have, but I thought I'd maybe have a B at worst, but this C grade dragged down my A to a high B :frown:
I'm glad other people feel the same. I got a solid A in the exam last year, and 96% on the coursework. This year I got 92% on the coursework, and never got anything below a low A* in my mocks for this exam, and I came out of the actual exam with a D!
Reply 251
Yes!
I was top in the year for English, I also spoke to the students with the second and third best grade and we all had the same. Last year, I got 98.5% in the exam, this year I got like 77/80 in the coursework and all my mocks for this exam I got A*'s! but in the real one, I completely flunked and got a C, this happened to all three of us (among others) and we all went from nearly 100%, to C's and D's. I would need to make 23 marks on this exam to drag it up to an A*, but I think perhaps there was an error with the marking? If it was my fault then fine, but it seems too coincidental for all the top 3 students to mess up this way. I know previously there has been "Systematic errors" that resulted in entire schools getting undermarked compared to other schools. Do you think it may go up, or do you think I am being a bit hopeful, and I just had a bad exam?
Reply 252
I got an A* in this! Aahhh, still can't believe it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 253
Oh, and as some other people have said, my other 3 friends who were on A's got a C in the exam as well, so we all came out with B's :/
Reply 254
That's so weird I'm the same as most of you above, I got an A* in cwk and got a high B and mid B last year meaning I needed a mid B exactly on this exam to get an A but I too came out with a C on this exam and a B overall, along with 4 marks off an A overall in Psychology 1 mark off a B in History overall meant I was rejected by both my firm and insurance.. I swear the A level marking was harsh this year nearly everyone I know dropped a grade. Sorry rant over haha!
Reply 255
I got mine remarked and it went up 7 UMS
Reply 256
Original post by Laura75
I got mine remarked and it went up 7 UMS

Woah that's a lot. What did you get originally and did the remark change your overall grade?
Reply 257
Original post by nat.2013
Woah that's a lot. What did you get originally and did the remark change your overall grade?

yeah I got a D in the exam -_- and the remark put it up to a C
then overall I went from a C to a B.
I only needed one more mark haha

it cost me my uni place originally so I was lucky it changed!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 258
I spoke to my English teacher today and he said the results from this exam were quite strange, and the hierarchy was not what you'd expect either. He said the marks were a lot higher overall for our school in the January sitting.
Reply 259
120/120

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending