The Student Room Group

Britain ranked #27 on best countries to be born in 2013, down from #7 in 1988.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Go Switzerland! I'm half Swiss.

Posted from TSR Mobile
suprised pakistan is on the list
Original post by Svenjamin
In general. It's easy enough to move abroad if people really want to. These surveys only really serve people who want to moan about "the state of the UK today".

I do wonder how they quantify 'cultural characteristic' though. :confused:

People would if they could speak foreign languages. The fact that we speak English here allows our betters to get away with a lot of oppression.
Reply 163
Original post by SillyRodent
Does this take in to account the size of spiders and likelihood of natural disasters? :holmes:

Some of our spiders are massive though.
Reply 164
You get paid accordingly.
Why is Japan so low? Apart from the natural disasters and everything.
Reply 166
Rather than number of months will less than 30mm rain fall (Why are 2 of the 11 criteria weather related anyway? That's just cruelty!), why don't they throw in something crazy like human rights? I'd rather be born in a stable country with sound fundamental rights, than be born in a sunny place.

I mean, **** guys, bloody Syria is on this list...
(edited 10 years ago)
Some of these countries at the top (Switzerland, Australia etc) don't have nuclear weapons like we do.

How do people feel safe in these countries?

If you lived there wouldn't you be worried about when North Korea or Iran decide to attack? Unlike us they aren't willing to put the billions required in to a nuclear defence system to keep their country safe from rogue states.

Wonder how good the quality of life will be when the North Koreans have reduced their states to wastelands?
Reply 168
The UAE higher than UK?

That is crazy.

Having lived in both, and currently living in the UAE. There is no competition as to which is better to be born in. Unless you are an Emirati, then been born here means nothing. It's an awful place, with stupid archaic laws, a terrible standard of living for most, which borders on poverty and slavery. It's hypocritical and badly run.

Apparently their cultural views mean they don't like the western indulgence, yet they do everything to support it. You can sit and eat pork, with a beer, while a prostitute tells you her hourly rate.

It's a country that presents one image, while actually, there is a hidden underbelly that is quite shocking and disturbing and the reason I'm outta here and back to good ol' England!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tabzqt
how is Ireland so high? no offence Ireland...

Ireland's a great country to live in, if you aren't in negative equity.

I can see how it is quite high on the list.
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Some of these countries at the top (Switzerland, Australia etc) don't have nuclear weapons like we do.

If you lived there wouldn't you be worried about when North Korea or Iran decide to attack? Unlike us they aren't willing to put the billions required in to a nuclear defence system to keep their country safe from rogue states.

Wonder how good the quality of life will be when the North Koreans have reduced their states to wastelands?

Well the only reason most countries have nuclear weapons is either to attack or defend themselves from suspected enemies with nuclear weapons. Most of those countries have nothing to fear from North Korea and Iran, and would most likely just be putting themselves on their radars if they did build them. Worst case scenario, they know the US would probably be quick to defend other western countries.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The way that I see it,

The actual danger of a nuclear offensive by either of those states is even if they actually had the capacity to do so.. It would be utter suicide, they would be leveled in minutes. Iran has as many nuclear weapons as saddam has WMDs, none of North Koreas launches have been successful.

Living in fear detracts from your quality of life, aussies definitely do not fear any sort of
attack terrorist or otherwise (partly due to the fact the media doesn't terrorize the
population) one of the many many reasons it's a great place.
Original post by Ham22
Some of our spiders are massive though.

Try getting bitten in the face by a huntsman spider. Makes you look differently at daddy long legs believe!
It's intresting looking at the 1988 version. America was number 1, France number 2 (they've fallen even further than us) most of the countries that were at the top have fallen significantly.

Sweden has gone up a couple of places, that's curious, I really do wonder how they calculate these results.
Reply 174
Original post by F6053721
The UAE higher than UK?

That is crazy.

Having lived in both, and currently living in the UAE. There is no competition as to which is better to be born in. Unless you are an Emirati, then been born here means nothing. It's an awful place, with stupid archaic laws, a terrible standard of living for most, which borders on poverty and slavery. It's hypocritical and badly run.

Apparently their cultural views mean they don't like the western indulgence, yet they do everything to support it. You can sit and eat pork, with a beer, while a prostitute tells you her hourly rate.

It's a country that presents one image, while actually, there is a hidden underbelly that is quite shocking and disturbing and the reason I'm outta here and back to good ol' England!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

The locals have been known to mistreat the builders and workers from the east. No surprise if it's only a little better for a citizen.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 175

You for real? No offense mate, but this is the worst post I have ever seen from you. And I have lost count of the times I repped you in the past.

Living in fear of a nuclear strike by Iran in those countries is akin to living in fear of being hit by lightning, except it's even more unlikely...
Original post by Tabzqt
how is Ireland so high? no offence Ireland...

And given that Britain is composed of England, Scotland and Wales does Ireland include Northern Ireland???

And why is this chart such a load of crap?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 177
The social divides, lack of community and corruption is what puts us there.

Well I'm away to Kuwait :smile:
Original post by The Assassin
http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2013/01/daily-chart?fsrc=scn/tw/te/dc/birthright

Edited comment about being surprised at some of the countries on the list... so people don't get unnecessarily mad and rage at me.

Lol what's Israel doing in the list, nobody wants to be born their right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 179
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
It seems fine tbh, Switzerland obviously at the top, the quality of living is amazing there, and very expensive. This is a summary of the quality of living, and for most people in the UK it's not that great. If you're even using TSR chances our your life is pretty nice in comparison (me included) to people who live outside the centre of major cities. Hence why it says Hong Kong, and Taiwan, not China as a whole, if that were that case I expect we'd be seeing China closer to India (average quality of living is atrocious, but their middle class is growing). Why is it so hard to believe Ireland has a better quality of living? :s-smilie:

Why would the quality of someone living outside a major city be worse than someone living in one?

Low crime, often aesthetically pleasing environment, low pollution, beautiful countryside, can still have access to excellent hospitals and schools (often better than those found in inner city areas)...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending