The Student Room Group

Medicine application

Hi, so i am trying to make my decision on which universities i will be applying to for medicine.

Everywhere i read it says apply to your strengths, can someone advise me on how to find out which university regards ukcat high or gcse high?

My GCSE were : 4 A* 4A B

A levels : A*AA in Psychology, Chemistry and Biology respectively

I still have to do my ukcat

9 months hospice work, weeks work experience in cardiology department and attended a medical conference

My extra curricular activity is not so strong

Thank you very much
Reply 1
Anyone?
Reply 2
Do you have a 4th AS, and if so what grade is it? You will be able to choose much better once you've got your UKCAT score, but I'd rule out the very GCSE-heavy ones like Birmingham, Oxford and Cardiff at the moment.
Reply 3
Yeah i have a B in the fourth AS, so where would you recommend if get a a ukcat score of around 640-650?

Thanks
Reply 4
Original post by Helenia
Do you have a 4th AS, and if so what grade is it? You will be able to choose much better once you've got your UKCAT score, but I'd rule out the very GCSE-heavy ones like Birmingham, Oxford and Cardiff at the moment.

Yeah i have a B in the fourth AS, so where would you recommend if get a a ukcat score of around 640-650?

Thanks
Reply 5
Avoid any that place emphasis on the UKCAT and have high cut off points or that use number of A*s at GCSE as a discriminator. Try looking at universities such as UEA and Leicester that look at the application as a whole.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Renacle
Avoid any that place emphasis on the UKCAT and have high cut off points or that use number of A*s at GCSE as a discriminator. Try looking at universities such as UEA and Leicester that look at the application as a whole.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi thanks for the input, struggling to find out which unis require a certain number of A*
Reply 7
No problem‚ try looking at the 'selection process' sections on each university and they will explain what their general process is for determining who they invite to interviews. The ones I know are GCSE heavy are : Oxford Cardiff‚ Birmingham and I think Edinburgh and Liverpool too but you would have to check this. Its also not a good idea to apply to Edinburgh if your extracurriculars aren't particularly strong. This still leaves you with plenty of choice‚ there are less than 20 medical schools in the UK‚ have a look through the selection criteria ruling them our until you find universities that favour your application and increase your chances of getting an interview. Just make sure you also like the style of teaching at said medical school.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending