The Student Room Group

Medicine 2014 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nadster14
Hey guys,

What are your thoughts on this book? I'm thinking of buying it so that I can start preparing asap. let me know :smile:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251333374548?

Yeah it's pretty good, I bought it last year :smile:
Reply 501
Hey everyone,

I am a med application too, but for 2015. I will be applying next year so I just wanted to know wear you guys have done in terms of work exp and UKCAT prep?

Reply 502
Med applicant*

Auto correct =_=
Original post by Joannywhite
Guys what do u all think about applying to both Newcastle and Durham? Is it a good idea?

I thought I might be putting two eggs in the same basket, so I only applied to one (Newcastle).
Original post by isabela_
hello everyone im new to this
I need advice,which unis do I stand a chance in?
GCSEs: 8A*s 3As - As Levels: Chemistry (A) Physics (A) Maths (A) Critical Thinking (B)
But my Biology As Level is not fully completed, have an A in Unit 1 and A in Unit 2, however I haven't done my practicals. I'm doing them this year, along with my whole A2.
Also my further maths As Level in not completed, have an A in FP1 and B in D1, and I'm taking the third module this next year.
UKCAT: 622.7 average :frown: with 540 lowest score :/
I think I'll be able to get predicted A*A*AA
Where should I apply to give myself the biggest chance?
Also forgot to add, have done a plenty of work experience and volunteering in care homes, but don't have any specific hobbies. Thanks

That's a very strong CV - you will have plenty of med schools to choose from. The only thing you need to do is avoid anywhere which has high cutoffs or high weightings for UKCAT (Newcastle/Durham, Nottingham, Hull/York, maybe a couple of others - see wiki article on 'applying using your strengths'). Favour instead places that focus on academics - the same wiki article will highlight them. Btw, it's a year out-of-date, but most med schools will be following very similar policies to the year before - just check their websites to be sure. Good luck!
Original post by MollyMcFly1
Hello! I'm starting year 12 next week so am a 2015 applicant, but thought I would keep an eye on this thread anyway!
GCSEs: 7 A*s, 2.5 As & 1 distinction
Work Experience (completed by next summer): [...]
ECs: [...]

Nottingham doesn't have a high cutoff like Newcastle, but it does put a 48% weighting on UKCAT when working out ranking scores for its applicants. If your UKCAT score is good, apply there, else don't. Leeds asks for evidence of success in two EC fields - not sure if you should apply there either (depends on your other strengths). But otherwise you can apply to most places, if your UKCAT score permits. And well done for getting your w/e done in Y12! Good luck!
Original post by Sheldon Cooper10
Hey I'm really worried I got 1A*, 5A's and a C (Spanish) at GCSE (that's all my school offered!) At AS level I got A (Economics), A (Biology), B (Chemistry), B (Maths). I haven't done my UKCAT yet and I don't really feel fully prepared for it next week. Anyone have any advice? Also my work experience I have x1 week at dentist, x2 days in a GP surgery, x7 months a retail charity shop and x2 weeks in a pharmacy and x10 weeks in a youth club, x2 weeks helping people teach children. Is this enough w/e I know that only some of it is directly related to medicine and this is why I am struggling to write my personal statement. Please anyone which unis should I avoid and do you think its a realistic goal for me to pursue a career in medicine?

Relax, lots of people have made it into med school with AABB - just keep working on your Chemistry grade. For w/e and volunteering, it's not the quantity that counts, or even what you did - it's the insights you gain that will help you to present yourself when you write your PS. Ideally, you'll have seen health professionals interacting with patients, and be able to make some observations in your PS, but non-medic experiences can be just as good for demonstrating things like leadership, determination, competitiveness, empathy, compassion, realism, etc, etc, etc. The wiki article on 'applying using your strengths' highlights the strengths and weaknesses that will get you considered or rejected at each med school. Good luck!
Original post by salmaed
Hiii :biggrin: - I am an international student, and I am really scared about applying for medicine because most of the people I know who have applied for medicine in previous years to the UK were rejected although they were highly qualified. So I want to know which universities are known for accepting international students ?
I am doing the IB program, I take Biology and Chemistry HL and my predicted score is 40-42/42
I got an 8/9 in the IELTS
I have done a 2 week training program at a hospital
I shadowed a clinical dietician for 2 weeks and an orthodontist for 1 week
I participated and won at ISWEEEP 2013 (an international science fair in the US)
I particpated and won at Intel Arabia (also a science fair)
And basically thats it...
So with these qualifications (keeping in mind that I am an international student and most uni's only accept 6% of international students for medicine) do you think I have a chance? And in what uni's in particular?
I heard that international students have a higher chance of getting accepted in Scotland than in England. Is this true?
Thank you so much! I will appreciate any help I can get:smile:

Intuitively, I'd expect London and Oxbridge to attract a lot of applications, and if true the competition ratios for Scotland won't be very different to the rest of England. I can offer very little advice on this, except to suggest contacting a few med schools to ask about the competition ratios for international places. They may not have compiled figures for 2013 entry yet, so ask for stats for the last year for which stats are available. Good luck!
Original post by hello10902
Which Universities am I most likely to get an automatic interview at with 10a*s gcse , 4a's as level and UKCAT 707.5?

None give automatic interviews :wink: However, the article on 'applying using your strengths' will help you identify places where you'll be ranked highly by virtue of your academic performance (either GCSE or AS) and/or high UKCAT score. You may not have enough AS subjects to get into Barts, and you'll need to be doing 3 sciences to be considered by Cambridge, but you'll be able to apply to the rest. Oxford favours students who have 90%+ of GCSE A*s, so that may be worth a shot.
Original post by rosiee96
Hey guys! I want to apply for medicine this year and im worried that i might not get a place, does this sound ok to you? If so where do you think I could apply?

4A*s, 8As and 1B at GCSE (i know its a bit low)

AS 2Bs, 2Cs but wont be cashed in till next year (was disappointed)

predictions for A2: AAB (i know thats low too, thats what im worried about :frown:

715 in UKCAT and 1 for situational judgement

[...]
I know this is long its just I really need some advice!
thanks in advance
rosie xx

Hi Rosie, obviously you will need to work hard to make your A2 grades in Y13. Assuming you can do that, your biggest problem will be not having AAA predictions for A2 - you may not make it past the first filter if you apply this year. However, all is not lost - if you can achieve AAA, you can take a gap year and apply next year based on your achieved A2 grades. Alternatively, you can study for a different degree and then apply for the 4-year graduate entry courses (although they are also very competitive). Good luck!
Original post by fadytousa
Hi guys just did the UKCAT:
VR 530 QR 660 AR 660 DA 840 SJ BAND 3
Is it good or bad? Where can I apply with this score? Is King's impossible?
Thanks in advance

It's well above average, and above most of the cutoffs. My advice is to avoid Newcastle/Durham (you're below their cutoff for 2013 entry) and be very cautious about Nottingham (they put a 48% weighting factor on UKCAT scores - you'd have to score very highly on all the other components to get an interview). The wiki article on 'applying using your strengths' identifies the ones where UKCAT score should inform your decision about whether to apply or not. Good luck!
Original post by lauren1brown
Could anybody please just answer me this
Do I have to have maths at A2 level to get into medicine? Will my application be considered any less if I have it at AS but not at A2?

Hi Lauren, Maths is not necessary. Chemistry is essential, and you need to be doing one of Biology, Maths or Physics, with Biology being the most useful (ie, opening the most doors). See the wiki article on 'a level requirements' to check what different med schools require subjectwise. Good luck!
Do universities look at the SJT when selecting for interviews?
Reply 513
Original post by Joannywhite
Do universities look at the SJT when selecting for interviews?

Edinburgh will put 15% weighting on it as of 2014 entry
So here are my stats:
11A*s at GCSE
AS: Maths 100% Biology 92.3% Chemistry 87.3% Physics 90.3%A Levels: Taking Maths, Further Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics and I think I will be predicted A* in 4 of those 5
UKCAT: VR 790 QR 730 AR 900 DA 840 SJT Band 2
Volunteered for hospital ward, outdoors company, charity shop, cubs
2 days sitting in at GP surgery
I am applying to Cambridge, Edinburgh, UCL and Nottingham
Do you guys have any advice/comments on whether my uni choices are good?
Thanks!
Original post by Pastaferian
Hi, it's good to have ideas about where you'd like to study, as you'll know the importance that they attach to different aspects of a candidate's application. However, don't get too attached to them because a lot can change. You should make you final choice based on your GCSEs, your AS grades, your UKCAT score, and your PS. So far, you only know one of the four decision factors! My advice is focus on your AS grades, do the UKCAT exam in the 3-4 weeks after AS exams, and then make your decisions. It looks like you've got some good work and volunteering experience, but remember that it's not about what you did, it's about what you got out of it (ie, your insights and observations). Good luck!

Hey, thanks for the reply!:smile:
Reply 516
Hey guys! Finally done my ukcat, and would like some advice please?

Did better than I expected! I got

VR 500 - Always been bad at it, kind of relieved it wasn't worse, although I think it will hinder my application to some places?
QR 730 - Questions were tricky but alot simpler than the mocks!
QR 900 - Was doing so bad whilst revising but in the test i found rules in 10/11 of the sets so was happy!
DA 870 - Standard DA, would say its slightly easier in the test!

SJT Band 2

Average 750

I am about to go into my final year of Biomedical Sciences and will be predicted a 2.1 or a first. (Applying this year)
I got 3 A's in A levels (Maths, Chem, Bio) and a B in AS physics.
Buuut my GCSE's weren't great, 3A* 4A 5B's 2C's (C's in english ), so I know that rules some universities out.
By the time I apply I will have 6 weeks (everyday) in a GP practise, 1.5 months volunteering in a hospital ( will be on going), a few days worth in a pharmacy, a few weeks with an occupational therapist, Ive worked in shops since I've been 16 ( not sure if its worth mentioning).
Im still trying to get more work ex, or a job in health care but can't seem to find any.

Can anybody give me advice on any 4 year courses I would be better off applying to, and which 5 year I should apply to as a undergraduate or postgraduate.

Any advice would be appreciated! I am happy to give some advice on the UKCAT if anybody thinks I could help.
Reply 517
Hey i am applying for 2014 entry and i am a bit unsure of where i stand the best chance of getting in, any help would great :smile:

GCSEs: A* in maths, chem, bio and geography As in Physics, english lit, english lang, B in french and C in PE and a OCR diploma in ICT.

AS: A in biology, citizenship, maths, chem, and a B in Physics

Ukcat
VR 640
QR 750
AR 640
DA 880
SJ band 1
average 727.5 total 2910

was thinking about, Newcastle, Hull/York, Durham, Sheffield, Leicester, Leeds, Edinburgh and Manchester

Original post by acardus
Hey guys! Finally done my ukcat, and would like some advice please?
Did better than I expected! I got
VR 500 - Always been bad at it, kind of relieved it wasn't worse, although I think it will hinder my application to some places?
QR 730 - Questions were tricky but alot simpler than the mocks!
QR 900 - Was doing so bad whilst revising but in the test i found rules in 10/11 of the sets so was happy!
DA 870 - Standard DA, would say its slightly easier in the test!
SJT Band 2
Average 750
I am about to go into my final year of Biomedical Sciences and will be predicted a 2.1 or a first. (Applying this year)
I got 3 A's in A levels (Maths, Chem, Bio) and a B in AS physics.
Buuut my GCSE's weren't great, 3A* 4A 5B's 2C's (C's in english ), so I know that rules some universities out.
By the time I apply I will have 6 weeks (everyday) in a GP practise, 1.5 months volunteering in a hospital ( will be on going), a few days worth in a pharmacy, a few weeks with an occupational therapist, Ive worked in shops since I've been 16 ( not sure if its worth mentioning).
Im still trying to get more work ex, or a job in health care but can't seem to find any.
Can anybody give me advice on any 4 year courses I would be better off applying to, and which 5 year I should apply to as a undergraduate or postgraduate.
Any advice would be appreciated! I am happy to give some advice on the UKCAT if anybody thinks I could help.

I can't give you much advice other than check the wiki articles, but when you said that you GCSE C in English would restrict your choices... have you thought about resitting it?
Original post by Lou1228
Hey i am applying for 2014 entry and i am a bit unsure of where i stand the best chance of getting in, any help would great :smile:
GCSEs: A* in maths, chem, bio and geography As in Physics, english lit, english lang, B in french and C in PE and a OCR diploma in ICT.
AS: A in biology, citizenship, maths, chem, and a B in Physics
Ukcat VR 640 QR 750 AR 640 DA 880 SJ band 1 average 727.5 total 2910
was thinking about, Newcastle, Hull/York, Durham, Sheffield, Leicester, Leeds, Edinburgh and Manchester

Sensible choices. With similar stats I got offers from Newcastle/Durham and Sheffield (and Nottingham). Leeds rejected me, but maybe didn't like my PS as much as the others. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending