The Student Room Group

18+ Student Oyster Application?

Hi, I'll be going to uni in a couple weeks in London and I'll be staying at my aunt's so will be travelling to get there. I was just wondering whether I can apply for the student oyster card without having done a full/in-person registration at uni? I've already done an online one but I am not sure whether this is enough? Or would I have to wait till I've done an in-person one as well?

Thanks.
Reply 1
not sure, but I think you need some proof of enrollment at your uni
Reply 2
Original post by Jack93o
not sure, but I think you need some proof of enrollment at your uni

I got a registration certificate from doing an online registration..im guessing this isnt enough then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
From the TFL website:
'To apply online, you will need:
Your enrolment ID from your education establishment'

'Once you've fully enrolled with your education establishment'

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14312.aspx So I'm assuming you have to wait.
Reply 4
Original post by iamsuperjai
I got a registration certificate from doing an online registration..im guessing this isnt enough then?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not sure, have you glanced through the application form?
Reply 5
Hey, in order to get your oyster card you need to just fill out the online form and then input the university that you plan to go to. The application will then be sent to your uni where they will confirm if you are an enrolled student there then you'll get an email and your card will be in the post :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Jack93o
I'm not sure, have you glanced through the application form?

Original post by Bubble_10
Hey, in order to get your oyster card you need to just fill out the online form and then input the university that you plan to go to. The application will then be sent to your uni where they will confirm if you are an enrolled student there then you'll get an email and your card will be in the post :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Someone in the same situation as me emailed the uni. Apparently they cant confirm it until I've completed an in-person application. Hmm. Which option do you think is the best and will result to having my oyster card quicker: applying now so as soon as I've done an in-person registration the uni can approve of my oyster application or should I just wait till I've completed a full registration?
Reply 7
Original post by iamsuperjai
Someone in the same situation as me emailed the uni. Apparently they cant confirm it until I've completed an in-person application. Hmm. Which option do you think is the best and will result to having my oyster card quicker: applying now so as soon as I've done an in-person registration the uni can approve of my oyster application or should I just wait till I've completed a full registration?

That's strange. My university did not need an in person application but I'd recommend applying now so that your oyster will come sooner. However if you do apply later it doesn't take too long for your oyster card to arrive so don't worry
Reply 8
That's strange. My university did not need an in person application but I'd recommend applying now so that your oyster will come sooner. However if you do apply later it doesn't take too long for your oyster card to arrive so don't worry

Ohh woops! Sorry I meant an in-person registration. And thanks :smile: I think Im gonna apply sooner rather than later just to get this out of the way.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you know if the university tells them what your term time address is?

I'm going to Imperial, but to a postgraduate campus in Berkshire (outside of London obviously, and all of my course takes place there). So I'm going to a London uni, my term time address is outside of London, and my home address is in London. It doesn't seem that I'm eligible, but I hope Imperial will help me by not letting on.
Original post by Tpx

I'm going to Imperial, but to a postgraduate campus in Berkshire (outside of London obviously, and all of my course takes place there). So I'm going to a London uni, my term time address is outside of London, and my home address is in London. It doesn't seem that I'm eligible, but I hope Imperial will help me by not letting on.

I don't think the university will tell them your term time address, and seen as though you are going to a London university and you live in London you should still be eligible to get an oyster card.
Original post by Tpx

If you won't be in London during term time then there is no point in getting an 18+ oystercard because you only get a discount on weekly or monthly travelcards to use on the bus or tube.
I don't think the university will tell them your term time address, and seen as though you are going to a London university and you live in London you should still be eligible to get an oyster card.

Thanks, I think I'll give it a shot.

Original post by jelly1000
If you won't be in London during term time then there is no point in getting an 18+ oystercard because you only get a discount on weekly or monthly travelcards to use on the bus or tube.

My parent house is in London, so I imagine it'll save a bit of money. But its not too crucial no; I wouldn't be too bothered if I don't get one (especially seeing as I can get to my parent's house solely by train .
You can't get an 18+ oyster if you don't live in London during term time

It's so annoying
Original post by Tpx
Thanks, I think I'll give it a shot.

My parent house is in London, so I imagine it'll save a bit of money. But its not too crucial no; I wouldn't be too bothered if I don't get one (especially seeing as I can get to my parent's house solely by train .

only if you make regular journeys 4-5 days a week during the holidays
Original post by jelly1000
only if you make regular journeys 4-5 days a week during the holidays

Oh sorry. I didn't read properly :colondollar:

I won't need it then, thanks.
Original post by Tpx
Oh sorry. I didn't read properly :colondollar:

I won't need it then, thanks.

yeah, for non regular journeys then the best thing is to put a railcard on a normal oyster, gets you cheaper off peak fares and a lower daily price cap

Quick Reply

Latest