The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 860
Hey, i'm writing up my PStatement and came a bit stuck with the wording of a particular sentence

Basically i did a project about why countries have different growth rates... So the stuff like resources, governments, investment, population etc...

Im thinking of writing something like 'reasons behind the differences of growth rates between economies' to describe my project but im not too sure if its all that clear? (Obviously ill stick in some verb at the beginning)
Original post by knowledgecorruptz
Are you at Tiffin Girls?

He's a guy I'm sure :tongue:
Original post by NedStark
Adjustment is when you get grades that exceed your offer by quite a bit. With this you phone up universities and then them you had an offer from University A who gave you an offer of CCC but you got AAA. If they have places available and want to take you on then they will give you an offer.

As for which univerisities, I guess you can apply above and get your prediction higher than a B or apply to some good AAB universities such as York, Surrey etc.

Ok thanks I think I'll do some research!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by robin1125
They came second in the regional heat and lost out to one of the bets schools in the country so we did quite well. Usually you get 3-4 good schools that do their research and can answer the questions, but the rest are usually not that great. You also come across lots of people who really suck at public speaking so it can get a bit tedious to listen to them stutter and mess up their lines for the whole day, but it was relatively entertaining since I got on well with two of the people in the team.

I don't remember much about it in precise detail, but I remember lots of talk about zombie firms and J-curves, but other than that I'm afraid I can't remember a great deal. If your school does a good presentation then it's likely the judges will give you some really tricky questions about how the solutions you have proposed might might not work in a particular situation and ask you what would be your response, but again I can't remember specifics.

Most of the presentations are pretty similar and the Bank of England people don't really like it that much if you start trying to be controversial, as they are allowed to be since you're basically saying that they as an institution have got it wrong.

In the end, the team that ended up winning basically said uncontroversial things (I think they made slight changes to current Bank of England policy, but nothing more) and answered the questions well.

Are you taking part in Target 2.0 this year? :biggrin:
I'm a captain of the team in my school but I just hope I will have enough time after submitting my PS - getting down to it seriously tomorrow.
Man, I'm so annoyed. Apparently, I didn't have the highest UMS in economics in my year which might put my chances of getting captain for target 2.0 into jeopardy.

In any case, what is a good AAA university for economics (excluding Birmingham)? I've put my other 4 choices down on UCAS already (which are Cambridge, LSE, UCL and Warwick) but I need to decide on an insurance. Anyone have any suggestions? I've put St. Andrews down preemptively.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Epic Flawless
Man, I'm so annoyed. Apparently, I didn't have the highest UMS in economics in my year which might put my chances of getting captain for target 2.0 into jeopardy.

In any case, what is a good AAA university for economics (excluding Birmingham)? I've put my other 4 choices down on UCAS already (which are Cambridge, LSE, UCL and Warwick) but I need to decide on an insurance. Anyone have any suggestions? I've put St. Andrews down preemptively.

Posted from TSR Mobile

what's wrong with St Andrews ? best Uni in scotland for Economics , very highly respected by employers in the UK.

That said other options you could consider might be Edinburgh , York or Manchester - just as examples.
Original post by Fas
what's wrong with St Andrews ? best Uni in scotland for Economics , very highly respected by employers in the UK.

That said other options you could consider might be Edinburgh , York or Manchester - just as examples.

Sorry, I didn't mean any offence. It's just that I haven't done much research admittedly into my insurance choices (which puts me to shame considering there is just over a month before the early entry deadline) and I'm not sure how they compare.

I literally just picked a random AAA uni from my tutor2u booklet but I'll be sure to do more in-depth research tomorrow.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 867

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unlucky mate, what were your UMS scores? Mine weren't the best, but my teachers like me so :tongue:

Bristol have a good course - Economics with study in continental Europe which is 4 years that is AAA
Sorry, I didn't mean any offence. It's just that I haven't done much research admittedly into my insurance choices (which puts me to shame considering there is just over a month before the early entry deadline) and I'm not sure how they compare.

I literally just picked a random AAA uni from my tutor2u booklet but I'll be sure to do more in-depth research tomorrow.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Considering you pretty much aced GCSEs and A-Levels and you're putting an insurance choice down really means I need to rethink I my choices. Bristol is my backup, maybe I'm aiming too high? I don't know. I'll have to think it over one day.
Original post by Giant
Unlucky mate, what were your UMS scores? Mine weren't the best, but my teachers like me so :tongue:

Bristol have a good course - Economics with study in continental Europe which is 4 years that is AAA

Well, I got 192/200 in economics which I was pretty chuffed with in all honesty. We have to deliver a presentation on the UK economy to get into the team; there's 8 people applying for the 4 spots with the best becoming captain so the competition is fierce. :biggrin:

I think I'll look into that; a year in Europe doesn't sound so bad. :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 870
Well, I got 192/200 in economics which I was pretty chuffed with in all honesty. We have to deliver a presentation on the UK economy to get into the team; there's 8 people applying for the 4 spots with the best becoming captain so the competition is fierce. :biggrin:

I think I'll look into that; a year in Europe doesn't sound so bad. :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's more than decent, you must go to a pretty good school then. Good luck becoming captain (although you may end up regretting it :wink: )

Posted from TSR Mobile

haha well you picked potentially the best one in terms of reputation as an insurance :tongue: either that or York - York might be slightly easier cos if you do A-level Maths , they drop their offer from AAA to AAB with the B in Maths :smile:
Original post by knowledgecorruptz
Are you at Tiffin Girls?

No, I'm a guy...
Original post by purplemind
Are you taking part in Target 2.0 this year? :biggrin:
I'm a captain of the team in my school but I just hope I will have enough time after submitting my PS - getting down to it seriously tomorrow.

90% certain I'll be taking part in it since I went along to watch last years team. That being said 6 people have signed up for it, so there's a small chance my Economics teacher won't pick me (but it's quite unlikely).
90% certain I'll be taking part in it since I went along to watch last years team. That being said 6 people have signed up for it, so there's a small chance my Economics teacher won't pick me (but it's quite unlikely).

When you present your ideas at the first stage, is there a lot of people watching it?
Original post by Giant

I just had a look at that course and it says you need a language at AS :frown:
Reply 876
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
I just had a look at that course and it says you need a language at AS :frown:

Ahh, unlucky. I take French A Level so I will probably still go for it.

There are many universities that let you spend a year in the USA and other english speaking countries, China, etc. (I think Nottingham have lots of international links for that kind of thing) so don't be disheartened
Original post by purplemind
When you present your ideas at the first stage, is there a lot of people watching it?

No not really, 40-50 people at the very most
No not really, 40-50 people at the very most

Wow, my teacher told me there are only going to be people from BoE listening to it. :tongue:
Original post by Giant
Ahh, unlucky. I take French A Level so I will probably still go for it.

There are many universities that let you spend a year in the USA and other english speaking countries, China, etc. (I think Nottingham have lots of international links for that kind of thing) so don't be disheartened

Yeah Nottingham had this great Economics course with a touch of Mandarin and a year in China which sounded great until I realised the course is a BA only. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending