The Student Room Group

Forgotten gcse results!

Hi
I am applying this year to do adult nursing but I left school in 1996 and can't find my certificates. I know I will have to get them replaced but I can only remember my grades for English, maths and science. Do I have to declare all my other subjects on my UCAS form even if they are not relevant? Please help! Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
I knew my O level grades from 1979 but I have not seen the certificates since 1981 when my parents moved house. When I applied I put the subject and grade and TBC on the exam board.
When the uni asked for the certificates (in June even though I received an unconditional offer in December) I just told them I had not seen them since 1981; they said fine. I sent my A level certificates in sciences but technically they have no evidence that I have English language yet my degree is primarily an essay based subject. But a university can admit a mature student on any basis they wish.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I took my School exams 30 years ago and don't recall ever seeing my certificates.

Uni is the first place to show any interest in them, but they took my life/work experience into account and i am doing an IT degree starting next week.

I found the senior Tutor and managed to impress him and he helped my application along with his recommendation.

Worth a try if you struggle :smile:
Reply 3
i can remember the grades for the specific subjects the Uni's have asked for i.e English, Maths and Science but not the others ones. Do i still need to declare the others when they aren't relevant anyway?
Reply 4
If you don't know them you can't declare them. If you've met the minimum requirement with the ones you can remember then why would it matter? The worst case scenario is that they'd ask at interview why you only sat three GCSEs and then you could explain but in my experience (4 interviews, 4 offers, 1 enrolment) GCSEs weren't mentioned, no-one was interested in anything other than my recent course (access) and my recent work experience. Applying as a mature student is different, no-one is really interested in what you did nearly a decade ago.

Or, put the subjects down that you did and just 'guess' the grade. I doubt it would make any difference to your application whether they were all As or all Es.

To give you an example of how relevant GCSEs are I applied for a course which usually asks for A at A'level chemistry. On my application I put that I got an E in GCSE chemistry years ago.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by jami74
If you don't know them you can't declare them. If you've met the minimum requirement with the ones you can remember then why would it matter? The worst case scenario is that they'd ask at interview why you only sat three GCSEs and then you could explain but in my experience (4 interviews, 4 offers, 1 enrolment) GCSEs weren't mentioned, no-one was interested in anything other than my recent course (access) and my recent work experience. Applying as a mature student is different, no-one is really interested in what you did nearly a decade ago.

Or, put the subjects down that you did and just 'guess' the grade. I doubt it would make any difference to your application whether they were all As or all Es.

To give you an example of how relevant GCSEs are I applied for a course which usually asks for A at A'level chemistry. On my application I put that I got an E in GCSE chemistry years ago.

Hi thanks for your reply. I was worrying as i read somewhere that my application may be seen as fraudulent if i do not declare all the subjects that i took at GCSE.
Original post by traceyed1
Hi thanks for your reply. I was worrying as i read somewhere that my application may be seen as fraudulent if i do not declare all the subjects that i took at GCSE.

Declare them and state you cannot remember the grade as no one has ever asked about them since you took them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Panic over my husband has found my certificates! So relieved :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Related to this thread - I'm only 23, and I have all of my official exam results from years ago (for GCSE), but not the certificates. I really don't know why this is :s-smilie: I can't remember if I have ever seen them, lol. Is this going to cause me trouble when I apply for university?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending