The Student Room Group

Who is your favourite British politician and why?

Scroll to see replies

William Hague. I think he would be a way better PM than David Cameron, he just became leader too early.
Original post by TheGuy117
Michael Gove. The sheer brilliance of Gove will become obvious once the first cohort of students to be effected by his changes finish their A-levels. All of this country's youth illiteracy problems, innumeracy problems and university preparation problems will vanish completely and Gove shall be hailed as the greatest tactician in delivering effective education to have ever been Education Secretary in this country's history. Just wait and watch.

Ofcourse, tragically, like all true geniuses, he will only fully be recognized as a genius (in delivering education) after his death. I expect a statue of him will then be erected outside Lady Margaret Hall, Oxford.

Michael Gove is an idiot and a clear example of what goes wrong when the PM just gives top jobs to his allies. This is coming from someone who voted Tory in 2010.

Gove ignores any and all evidence when deciding on huge new changes. I'm pretty sure this is his thought process:

This approach worked well, for me specifically, back in the 50s, in my particular school and area. So therefore I will roll it out across the nation.
Original post by marinaim
Evidence?

Well, there was all the fallout from the relaxation of border controls 'pilot'.

But my favorite example centres around May's hatred of the Human Rights Act. She'll do anything to support her position on human rights, even if it means making stuff up. Take this quote from Ms May:

"We all know the stories about the Human Rights Act....The illegal immigrant who cannot be deported because - and I am not making this up - he had pet a cat."

The part in bold is quite unfortunate, because May was making it up. As the Judicial Office said, the presence of a cat had no bearing on the case May was referring to.

She's a moron.
Reply 103
Original post by InnerTemple
Well, there was all the fallout from the relaxation of border controls 'pilot'.

But my favorite example centres around May's hatred of the Human Rights Act. She'll do anything to support her position on human rights, even if it means making stuff up. Take this quote from Ms May:

"We all know the stories about the Human Rights Act....The illegal immigrant who cannot be deported because - and I am not making this up - he had pet a cat."

The part in bold is quite unfortunate, because May was making it up. As the Judicial Office said, the presence of a cat had no bearing on the case May was referring to.

She's a moron.

Admittedly that was embarrassing.. She was misinformed and really should have double checked. I think she reckoned it would be kind of amusing, but yep definitely should have checked..
The legend that is Dennis Skinner.
Original post by Hannibal Lecter
Diane Abbott

Racist.

Posted from TSR Mobile
George Osborne

Because he's the hero Britain deserves, but not the one it needs right now, so we ll hate him, because he can take it: because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A dark knight.
Reply 107
Original post by Davij038
George Osborne

Because he's the hero Britain deserves, but not the one it needs right now, so we ll hate him, because he can take it: because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A dark knight.

Original post by Pedd
David Llyod George
Radical prime minister of the 1900's who set up the foundations of what later became our NHS.
Dragged the country out of the Victorian period. Remains severely underrated.

Also one of the most corrupt politicians of the last 100 years. And that is saying something.
Reply 109
Margaret Thatcher. She helped combat communism and saved the country from leftist ruin.
Reply 110
George Galloway because he tell it like it is.
image.jpg
Original post by Barksy
Margaret Thatcher. She helped combat communism and saved the country from leftist ruin.

Her inspirational leap forward for feminism was great, but the picture summarises her terrible judgement
Chuka Umunna

A real G and we have things in common
Original post by Gianna2013
image.jpg

Her inspirational leap forward for feminism was great, but the picture summarises her terrible judgement

I thought it was common knowledge that Thatcher resented feminists. She was an example of the phenomenon of someone who followed the philosophy of 'if I got there, anyone can'.

Agree on the Pinochet thing though. Some people (i.e. those diehard Thatcher worshippers out there) seem to think any amount of blood spilt is fine as long as its those damn lefties. And I thought we were living in a somewhat civilised age.
Reply 114
Original post by usainlightning
Also one of the most corrupt politicians of the last 100 years. And that is saying something.

Touche! Still, I'm a means meets the ends sort of person. He may have sold off a few peerages and betrayed some of his party, but if that's what kept him going... :wink:
Margaret Thatcher. ABSOLUTE LEGEND.
Reply 116
I'd say Caroline Lucas. But I will admit I'm not too clued up on politics, she just seems like a genuinely nice person who doesn't hop on the bandwagon like other smaller party leaders.
Original post by paddyman4
Michael Gove is an idiot and a clear example of what goes wrong when the PM just gives top jobs to his allies. This is coming from someone who voted Tory in 2010.

Gove ignores any and all evidence when deciding on huge new changes. I'm pretty sure this is his thought process:

This approach worked well, for me specifically, back in the 50s, in my particular school and area. So therefore I will roll it out across the nation.

I couldn't have said it better myself.
Original post by paddyman4
William Hague. I think he would be a way better PM than David Cameron, he just became leader too early.

killable middle class student uni tory bastard alert
Eric Joyce for battering that Tory, and Prezza for doing sommut similar to a farmer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending