The Student Room Group

Am I taking too much stuff to Uni?

post removed
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

possibly overdoing it a tad, if you've got that little lot and you're only in the middle of packing!
Aah, so you've literally got a plastic folder, a reasonable sized box and say a rucksack to go. Hm.. It sounds like a lot, and then you realise it isnt. You know you've got too much when you're having to put it on the front passenger seat and force the car door shut!

I think I went with 2 100l plastic boxes, my box that my crockery came in, a rucksack, a holdall, my laptop, muscial instrument, music stand and then pillows and my duvet. And then went shopping, which i think took up 2 bags for life...
it's when you come home that you get problems, becuase you've collected more junk over the year.
oh lord

as a fresher 2 years ago i took everything, and most of it just sat under my bed.

id recommend going through it and see what you ACTUALLY need. im about to go into my 3rd year and ive got a suitcase of clothes, a pot, frying pan, some cutlery, tv & xbox....
Reply 5
I'm worrying that I'm going to have too much stuff as well, don't worry! I'm just concerned because student rooms as a rule are quite small, I don't know how everything will fit in... But I think everyone's going to be in the same boat :smile:
Original post by Zaphod77
I'm worrying that I'm going to have too much stuff as well, don't worry! I'm just concerned because student rooms as a rule are quite small, I don't know how everything will fit in... But I think everyone's going to be in the same boat :smile:

you'll probably find that you can lift your matress up and underneath is hollow.
Reply 7
Original post by .snowflake.
you'll probably find that you can lift your matress up and underneath is hollow.

Ooh, I hope so! Thanks :smile:
If you can't fit it in a normal sized car, you're probably overdoing it. University rooms are tiny. Even taking into account things like underbed storage, if you have too much "stuff" the room will feel messy.

You'll probably have a small wardrobe, some shelving, and a desk, plus maybe 3-4 drawers in your room. In a shared kitchen, you'll need to be able to fit all your cooking stuff in one cupboard, all your food in another cupboard, plus 1 shelf in a fridge, apart from any food you'll be able to store in your room.

You might want to try and cut things down a little.
Reply 9
A girl arrived at my accommodation in first year with 2 other cars following her, as she couldn't fit her, 2 parents and her stuff in even 2 cars...

This made me feel a lot better about the huge stack of items packed in the car with me which kept falling on me when we turned corners.

It might be tough to store stuff but I wouldn't worry too much about it, worst comes to worst you send some back in the van! So maybe have some 'don't needs' in mind for that possibility.

xxx
I have 1 ikea bag which has kitchen stuff in, only 1 frying pan and 1 sauce pan? who needs a 5piece set.. need anymore? borrow one! got my duvet and pillow and a set with some sheets obviously and a desk lamp, and my laptop. one suitcase with a small suitcase inside for traveling but gona class that as one because there inside each other. then I have a bag for life of food! :smile: oh and an airer but it's a tiny one :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
If you do fit it all in but it's a bit in the way, then you could send some back half way through the term. Then you'd know which bits had just sat in the box gathering dust (if any).

For me it was things like cups and mugs... I had a 4 and 6 pack respectively but only ever used 2 at the most at once, so they just sat there unnecessarily. I took my toastie maker but never used it as I just never remembered to! Little things you think you want to take in case you want them but then once you've lived for a year you'll know.

xxx
Wow and there was me thinking I'd get everything into one holdall.

I think I'll need to rethink my plans...
Clothes? Can you cut any out? It's tempting to take all your clothes, but realistically, you can probably leave most summery clothes behind- you won't wear them much until next spring, by which time you could take some more wintery clothes home and bring some summery ones instead. Leave behind any "every day" clothes you don't wear at least once every 2 weeks, and any going out stuff you haven't worn in the past 4-6 months.

What about shoes? Shoes tend to take up a lot of room, but you can probably manage with say, 4 pairs- 1 pair of black heels that go with everything, 2 pairs casual flats, 1 pair smart flats (1 pair of flats needs to be able to cope with mud/ice/snow). You can always swap some over when you go home for variety. I have a lot of shoes, but realistically, I only wear about 5 pairs regularly.

Kitchen stuff? Realistically, you only really need 2 plates, 2 bowls, 2 pairs of cutlery, 2 glasses and 2 mugs, but often things come in bigger packs, so you could leave some behind. Only take the bear essentials of cooking stuff too- remember, it needs to fit in one cupboard. If you're not going to use it at least 3-4 times a week, it can stay at home for now.

With the rest of your stuff, it really depends what you are taking. Remember you won't have lots of space to store lots of bulky linnen, or put lots of nice decorative things (and they might get broken).
So far I have 3 cardboard boxes (but theyre pretty small) and one suitcase of clothes....but many more to follow!
Reply 15
I moved in yesterday, and had a similar amount, actually. :colondollar:

To be honest, as long as it'll fit in your/your parents' car comfortably, I don't see why not. I'm sure there's plenty of things we won't actually end up using, but I'd rather take them along and learn that than be sat here kicking myself for not bringing something.
I've seen people bring more to be fair.

But as has been said, I'd try and cut it down. I must have taken almost all my clothes in first year, a PC, laptop, mountaineering gear, three boxes of books and stationery, a crate of misc things, but no cooking stuff because it was fully catered.

Going onto a fourth year now I'm looking at a couple of suit carriers, a holdall, PC, and mountaineering kit.
Reply 17
Plates, foldable storage boxes, bedding, clothes, speakers and shisha pipe. Now i feel like im taking too little..
Reply 18
Coming from someone who needed multiple trips at the end of each year to clear their uni room out of everything: no :p:
If you have to ask, then probably yes...

As a side note, why do you need bags of food...I'm certain that there are shops all over the country! :P

Just a couple of essentials - enough for your first meal and breakfast would do!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending