The Student Room Group

Medicine 2014 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 520
Original post by Pastaferian
Sensible choices. With similar stats I got offers from Newcastle/Durham and Sheffield (and Nottingham). Leeds rejected me, but maybe didn't like my PS as much as the others. Good luck!

thanks :smile: some people say not to go for newcastle and durham just pick one of them, did you go for both or did you just apply to one?
Original post by Imogendaisy
So here are my stats:
11A*s at GCSE
AS: Maths 100% Biology 92.3% Chemistry 87.3% Physics 90.3%A Levels: Taking Maths, Further Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics and I think I will be predicted A* in 4 of those 5
UKCAT: VR 790 QR 730 AR 900 DA 840 SJT Band 2
Volunteered for hospital ward, outdoors company, charity shop, cubs
2 days sitting in at GP surgery
I am applying to Cambridge, Edinburgh, UCL and Nottingham
Do you guys have any advice/comments on whether my uni choices are good?
Thanks!

Those look pretty sensible choices. With a full set of GCSE A*s, did you consider Oxford instead of Cambridge?
Original post by Lou1228
thanks :smile: some people say not to go for newcastle and durham just pick one of them, did you go for both or did you just apply to one?

Just the one. Otherwise I thought I'd be putting two eggs in one basket.
Reply 523
Just the one. Otherwise I thought I'd be putting two eggs in one basket.

okay, thanks for your help :smile: which university did you end up choosing as your firm offer??
Original post by Lou1228
okay, thanks for your help :smile: which university did you end up choosing as your firm offer??

Hard choice between Sheffield and Nottingham - I chose Sheffield. But I'm deferring due to family reasons.
Nottingham doesn't have a high cutoff like Newcastle, but it does put a 48% weighting on UKCAT when working out ranking scores for its applicants. If your UKCAT score is good, apply there, else don't. Leeds asks for evidence of success in two EC fields - not sure if you should apply there either (depends on your other strengths). But otherwise you can apply to most places, if your UKCAT score permits. And well done for getting your w/e done in Y12! Good luck!

Thank you, this is extremely helpful!! Think I can rule out Leeds then as my strengths don't lie with my ECs. Guess I just need to focus on my AS grades and preparing for the UKCAT then! Thanks again :smile:
anyone applying to any of the medical schools below

-UEA
-PLYMOUTH
-SHEFFIELD
-KEELE
-ST GEORGES, UNIVERSITY OF LONDON
-BRIGHTON AND SUSSEX
Reply 527
Original post by MedicalMaureen
anyone applying to any of the medical schools below

-UEA
-PLYMOUTH
-SHEFFIELD
-KEELE
-ST GEORGES, UNIVERSITY OF LONDON
-BRIGHTON AND SUSSEX

I'm applying to Sheffield and UEA, what are your stats?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MikeyP96
I'm applying to Sheffield and UEA, what are your stats?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awesome. Are you an international student too?

My IGCSE grades a pretty poor. I have 3A*s and 6A's
AS: AABB (in Bio, Geo, Chem and Math respectively. missed an A in math by 2 UMS and in Chem by 5 UMS)

I havent sat my UKCAT yet though.

what about you?
Original post by acardus
Hey guys! Finally done my ukcat, and would like some advice please?

Did better than I expected! I got

VR 500 - Always been bad at it, kind of relieved it wasn't worse, although I think it will hinder my application to some places?
QR 730 - Questions were tricky but alot simpler than the mocks!
QR 900 - Was doing so bad whilst revising but in the test i found rules in 10/11 of the sets so was happy!
DA 870 - Standard DA, would say its slightly easier in the test!

SJT Band 2

Average 750

I am about to go into my final year of Biomedical Sciences and will be predicted a 2.1 or a first. (Applying this year)
I got 3 A's in A levels (Maths, Chem, Bio) and a B in AS physics.
Buuut my GCSE's weren't great, 3A* 4A 5B's 2C's (C's in english ), so I know that rules some universities out.
By the time I apply I will have 6 weeks (everyday) in a GP practise, 1.5 months volunteering in a hospital ( will be on going), a few days worth in a pharmacy, a few weeks with an occupational therapist, Ive worked in shops since I've been 16 ( not sure if its worth mentioning).
Im still trying to get more work ex, or a job in health care but can't seem to find any.

Can anybody give me advice on any 4 year courses I would be better off applying to, and which 5 year I should apply to as a undergraduate or postgraduate.

Any advice would be appreciated! I am happy to give some advice on the UKCAT if anybody thinks I could help.

wow, that's brilliant, can you please tell me what you got at AS because i did the same subjects this year
Reply 530
Cambridge with 92% UMS???? Is it worth applying :frown:
Reply 531
Original post by MedicalMaureen
Awesome. Are you an international student too?

My IGCSE grades a pretty poor. I have 3A*s and 6A's
AS: AABB (in Bio, Geo, Chem and Math respectively. missed an A in math by 2 UMS and in Chem by 5 UMS)

I havent sat my UKCAT yet though.

what about you?

No I'm not international,
My stats are
GCSE:5A* 6A 1B and Distinction in IT
AS: AAAA in Chemistry, Human Biology, Physics and Psychology
UKCAT: 692.5

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 532
Hi i would really like some advise on whether i have a chance in getting an offer to study medicine

for gcse i got 2A* 4As and 4Bs

for A LEVEL i got 3As ( chemistry, maths, psychology) a B (Greek) and a C (Biology)
predicted grades: A*AA

UKCAT: 707.5

i am planning on dropping biology and only applying to universities that dont ask for biology
the universities i am thinking of appling are Leeds, Manchester, Nottingham, East Anglia, Sheffield and Newcastle
i meet all the entry requirements.. any opinions on which unis i should apply to
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 533
Also medicine courses with a foundation year do they prefer gap year students?
Hey guys need some help!
My stats:
GCSEs 1A* 9As 1B
AS-Levels AABBCD
Predicted AAABC
UKCAT 715 (SJT Band 4)
Work Experience 18 days at various hospitals and wards as well as 3 years of volunteering

I'm confused about where to apply!
I definetly want to apply to Barts but I'm not sure on the rest. I like the idea of PBL and was considering St.George's and UEA before (they are reasonably close to home as well) but they dont look at UKCAT too much and I want to use my score to favour me.
Any help would be appreciated!
Reply 535
Hi, do you think it's good to talk about reading books in your PS such as "Confessions of a GP" and other books such as a history of medicine? Thanks
Hi!
My results at the moment are GCSE - 8 A*s, 4 A's and a B, AS - ABBB with B's in Chemistry and Biology. I think I will be predicted A*AA but I'm going to resit 2 of my chemistry modules to hopefully get an A in AS chemistry. In my ukcat I got 698 average. Where would be best to apply and what is the next step for 2014 entry? Thank you!
Original post by b.harrison57
Hi!
My results at the moment are GCSE - 8 A*s, 4 A's and a B, AS - ABBB with B's in Chemistry and Biology. I think I will be predicted A*AA but I'm going to resit 2 of my chemistry modules to hopefully get an A in AS chemistry. In my ukcat I got 698 average. Where would be best to apply and what is the next step for 2014 entry? Thank you!

If your A*'s are in the core subjects, birmingham, st georges and probably manchester and cardiff would secure you interviews if you meet the other requirments.

You'd also be in a good position to apply anywhere apart from the really heavy ukcat universities. But your personal statement would have to be good.
Reply 538
Hey guys m freakin out to select universities !! I am in Uk just from last 2 years. I am a EU student though !
My Stats :-
GCSES equivalent qualification from India with 6-7 A*s (But dont know which uni's except international qualifications :frown:)

GCSES- 4 A*, 2 A (did 3 gcses along AS)

AS- AAAA

A2_ A*A*AA

I am doing my English Gcse along A2s (really big downside )

PLENTY of work experience in India and in the UK.

Expecting 800s in UKCAT and going to give a go at BMAT aswel !!

I want to apply to best and most suitable universities, but also dont want to waste any of my choices !!

HELP PLEASE !!!!
Original post by Shiam
Hey guys m freakin out to select universities !! I am in Uk just from last 2 years. I am a EU student though !
My Stats :-
GCSES equivalent qualification from India with 6-7 A*s (But dont know which uni's except international qualifications :frown:)

GCSES- 4 A*, 2 A (did 3 gcses along AS)

AS- AAAA

A2_ A*A*AA

I am doing my English Gcse along A2s (really big downside )

PLENTY of work experience in India and in the UK.

Expecting 800s in UKCAT and going to give a go at BMAT aswel !!

I want to apply to best and most suitable universities, but also dont want to waste any of my choices !!

HELP PLEASE !!!!

With a UKCAT like that then I would suggest you start here:

Medical School UKCAT requirements

Though remember if you don't achieve that then your choices ma have to change.

You'd be pretty much assured an interview at Soton I would imagine as they are interviewing by UKCAT score.

Quick Reply

Latest