The Student Room Group

OCR AS Psychology: G542: Core Studies - Wednesday 5th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1740
Original post by mkhan9035
I would advise you resit core studies next June, that will ease the pressure of you. That's what I did. In June 2012 I resat Psych Investigations and got 48 UMS (A) and did my core studies exam which was awful and get 85 UMS (D), then I really put my head down in A2 and got 73 UMS (B) on the Options Paper, resat core studies and got 124 UMS (A) and my G544 paper I got 82 UMS (A) giving me a total of 327 UMS which was an A overall. So I went from a C/D grade student to an A grade student. It is definitely possible if you put the hard work in. I'm off to Uni in September and I can't wait. Good luck and if you have anymore questions regarding exams and revision, let me know :smile: (which applies to anyone)

ahh yes I will take your advice and retake the core studies, ah yes same I got 48 (ums) for the psychological investigations. I just don't understand what happened with the core studies paper, its my second time retaking it! I got a C last year for it, and a C again this year!!! so annoying, this year I was predicted an A, got A's in the mocks :'( ahh well can't dwell on the past. Well done with the A :smile: you clearly worked hard, How did you find A2 psychology, any tips on securing an A with it? Thank you again for the advice, I really appreciate it.
Reply 1741
Original post by wolalala
ahh yes I will take your advice and retake the core studies, ah yes same I got 48 (ums) for the psychological investigations. I just don't understand what happened with the core studies paper, its my second time retaking it! I got a C last year for it, and a C again this year!!! so annoying, this year I was predicted an A, got A's in the mocks :'( ahh well can't dwell on the past. Well done with the A :smile: you clearly worked hard, How did you find A2 psychology, any tips on securing an A with it? Thank you again for the advice, I really appreciate it.

Well your options paper (G543) is quite intense because you'll be taught 72 cases through forensic/ health (or whichever options your college/sixth form teaches) and the key to that exam is past papers! Look at what hasn't appeared in the previous years and just revise those topics! One topic in health is stress and for the first time in 4 years of these exams both in Jan and June 2013 it never got asked, so likelihood is in June 2014 it may come up! Make sure you revise your evaluation points as thoroughly as possible. For G544 its a synoptic module so everything you've learnt from AS inc the G543 exam is assessed in G544. Section A of G544 is basically a recap of g541 and section B is a recap of core studies and options! Make sure you keep on top of your approaches and there'll be lots of methods, issues and debates to learn! It is a lot of work but it is doable! Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got A A .. So overall.A.
Happy

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got a D in every single psychology unit, and I could not have worked any harder for this damn exam.
I give up with psychology. It and I are just not meant to be </3
Does anyone know how to work out what raw mark I got from the UMS? OCR don't have a converter like AQA and Edexcel. Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ExamTime17
Does anyone know how to work out what raw mark I got from the UMS? OCR don't have a converter like AQA and Edexcel. Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

i've been trying to find out since I got my results and I just can't figure it. They should have a converter :mad:
Original post by jodie.irwin27
i've been trying to find out since I got my results and I just can't figure it. They should have a converter :mad:

Same...it's really annoying! Haha hope you're happy with whatever you got :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got 50 and 112. 2 As. Really happy! Does anyone know whether those marks are out of the paper marks or UMS?

Posted from TSR Mobile
They're out of ums, so for psych investigations you had 50/60 ums, and 112/140 in core studies :smile: well done!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1749
What is the overall grade boundaries, how much out of /200 do u need to get an A, B, C?

Posted from TSR Mobile
You need 160 / 200 to get an A :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also 140 for a B and 120 for a C, keep taking 20 away and you can work the rest out

Posted from TSR Mobile
Could anyone guess how many raw marks 137 UMS is for core studies? I know it's an A but have no idea how strong of an A it is going into a2 psychology. Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thats great! That means you've only lost 3 uma. Grade boundaries for an A were 112 ums which was a raw mark of 82, so I'd guess about 100-110 that your mark may have been.

It's a very strong A. I lost 12 UMS overall for AS psychology, meaning in order to achieve an A overall then I need 66 ums in each A2 module, so a high C. (Think this is correct anyway).

If you want to tell me your overall UMS for AS psychology that I can work out how much you need in A2 to get an a?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thats great! That means you've only lost 3 uma. Grade boundaries for an A were 112 ums which was a raw mark of 82, so I'd guess about 100-110 that your mark may have been.

It's a very strong A. I lost 12 UMS overall for AS psychology, meaning in order to achieve an A overall then I need 66 ums in each A2 module, so a high C. (Think this is correct anyway).

If you want to tell me your overall UMS for AS psychology that I can work out how much you need in A2 to get an a?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you!! That's the most helpful information I've heard - my teacher has no idea what she's doing haha
I got 194/200 UMS so what would I need next year? Thanks so much for your help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay so you need 126 ums overall for A2 - meaning 63 in each unit. That's a low C! Congrats haha
Okay so you need 126 ums overall for A2 - meaning 63 in each unit. That's a low C! Congrats haha

Thank you! Good luck for your A2 :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ExamTime17
Thank you! Good luck for your A2 :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks! you too :smile:
Hi, can anyone recommend any good books for a2 (psychology of education and forensics OCR)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending