The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NikolaT
Once in a blue moon.

#ForeverAlone

Original post by SophieB1997
Story of my life.

Ha....no worries.....tsr is our party!

But seriously.....I think parties are overrated. You can still be a fun person and have a good time with friends even if you don't go to parties....
Hey guys, just wondering do you think psychology is a 'contrasting subject' when applying for medicine at uni? :smile: thanks..

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by iLOVEmusic1234

Hey night owl, I'm sure you'll be fine :wink: are you going to sixth form with any of your friends or is it all new?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lucas.
If I find Maths too difficult (which hopefully I wont) then I'm going to switch to Biology. :smile: Pretty sure we're allowed two weeks too.

Cool I would imagine so :smile: What other A-levels are you doing?
Original post by skizzle
I'm leaning towards the medicine path...though I am interested in gene therapy/research.

btw I was wondering do you know of an scientific/medical articles/magazines I could get?

Cool quite similar then! :biggrin: Hmm sorry I don't really read that stuff (but it must be helpful)....I guess the Internet is a good port of call?
Original post by blamethenargles
College is so tiring! And my knees are playing up again yay

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hiya! Aw man everyone on here who's started Year 12 doesn't seem enthusiastic...which I expected but hoped for it not to be! Aw hopefully they'll get better; do they do this often? What subjects are you doing? :smile:
Original post by techno-thriller
Can people share how many students go to their sixth forms? Roughly?

Err...In my year there's about 200...I think.
I'm really enjoying Sixth Form at the moment... Ok, I've been there for 3 days and 1 day was an induction but heck, it's good! I only have around 12 hours of lessons a week, which is a bit disturbing! I am also trying to self study for AS German, which is proving difficult, since I don't have a clue where to start. Fridays and Wednesdays are a godsend though! I have 2 study periods and the rest of the day is free... but I'm still heading the library and sixth form centre to get my homework done. Still, I'm loving all of my subjects! Business is ok, nothing special like GCSE, but it ain't bad! I took Philosophy/Ethics on a whim based on my GCSE RS grade (A*) and it's actually amazing/creepy. Then we have German and Spanish which is great too. Good luck to people starting next week.
Original post by pathosL
oh cool, OCR A, you?

AQA
Reply 4588
Original post by serebro
I'm really enjoying Sixth Form at the moment... Ok, I've been there for 3 days and 1 day was an induction but heck, it's good! I only have around 12 hours of lessons a week, which is a bit disturbing! I am also trying to self study for AS German, which is proving difficult, since I don't have a clue where to start. Fridays and Wednesdays are a godsend though! I have 2 study periods and the rest of the day is free... but I'm still heading the library and sixth form centre to get my homework done. Still, I'm loving all of my subjects! Business is ok, nothing special like GCSE, but it ain't bad! I took Philosophy/Ethics on a whim based on my GCSE RS grade (A*) and it's actually amazing/creepy. Then we have German and Spanish which is great too. Good luck to people starting next week.

Wow that's little compared to mine, I have 22 hours a week lol, I'm doing philosophy and ethics and too, starting to get in to it more :smile:
Original post by iJess
Wow that's little compared to mine, I have 22 hours a week lol, I'm doing philosophy and ethics and too, starting to get in to it more :smile:

23 hours for me I win:biggrin:
Original post by serebro

Learn the exact same thing that you are doing Spanish! But also learn the idioms to gain high marks - see if you can get a speaking practice lesson done once a week with a German teacher - it really does help :smile:

Original post by iJess

Original post by Red Fox
23 hours for me I win

Am I the only one with 27.5? :s-smilie:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4591
Original post by JustaDreamer
Cool I would imagine so :smile: What other A-levels are you doing?

German, Psychology and Sociology. :smile: You?
Reply 4592
Original post by Ninjasrule
Learn the exact same thing that you are doing Spanish! But also learn the idioms to gain high marks - see if you can get a speaking practice lesson done once a week with a German teacher - it really does help :smile:

We have 18 hours a week, 19.5 if you include Tutorial, and 22.5 if you include Tutorial and Enrichment. :smile:
Reply 4593

Haha yeah I think so, it depends how my A Levels you'e doing and what you're doing I guess. I'm doing english language, philosophy & ethics, media & travel and tourism but am doing a few other qualifications, and enrichment activities to go on my uni personal statement alongside
Original post by Lucas.
We have 18 hours a week, 19.5 if you include Tutorial, and 22.5 if you include Tutorial and Enrichment. :smile:

Cool! My school doesn't do enrichment but I did include General Studies in my time, if I included tutorial it'd add another 2 hours and a half...
I'm dropping either French or Spanish but that'll still leave me with roughly 24/25 hours (with tutorial) :s-smilie:

Original post by iJess
Haha yeah I think so, it depends how my A Levels you'e doing and what you're doing I guess. I'm doing english language, philosophy & ethics, media & travel and tourism but am doing a few other qualifications, and enrichment activities to go on my uni personal statement alongside

That's true! Also depends on your school slightly ^_^
Cool! I'm doing biology (which I've already completed... I only need to sit the exams), chemistry, physics, maths, Spanish and French - as I mentioned to Lucas I'll be dropping either Spanish/French
What other qualifications are you doing if I may ask?
Yeah, I'm also doing a bit of volunteering on weekends :biggrin:
Reply 4595
Cool! My school doesn't do enrichment but I did include General Studies in my time, if I included tutorial it'd add another 2 hours and a half...
I'm dropping either French or Spanish but that'll still leave me with roughly 24/25 hours (with tutorial) :s-smilie:

That's true! Also depends on your school slightly ^_^
Cool! I'm doing biology (which I've already completed... I only need to sit the exams), chemistry, physics, maths, Spanish and French - as I mentioned to Lucas I'll be dropping either Spanish/French
What other qualifications are you doing if I may ask?
Yeah, I'm also doing a bit of volunteering on weekends :biggrin:

Wow, that's really good. I have essay based subjects as I'm better at them, I was never good at maths or science subjects unfortunately. I'm doing the NCFE Resort Rep qualifiation which is 2 hours a week with a guarenteed interview with Thomas Cook when passed, and it goes nicely with my Travel & Tourism. I'm hoping to do a tourism based degree at uni. I'm also doing anti-bullying mentoring for younger students & conversational/holiday spanish speaking :smile:
Original post by Lucas.
So bloody glad I pre-ordered the vinyl.

Hurrah for vinyls!
Original post by Lucas.
Yeah that's what the French teacher said (had her as a tutor for the day, and she spoke to me about German because the actual German teacher wasn't in...). :smile: When I had a look at the list though, there was only one other boy... Not that it's a problem, but I think I'll just find it a little bit harder to get to know people, because when I'm surrounded by girls I feel the need to make a good first impression, whereas around boys I can just relax. :tongue:

Wow, they are nice class sizes. :smile: I hope mine are like that. :tongue:

We had an induction week for Sixth Form (a whole week, gr), and our German teacher was away so I had an extra free period every day :biggrin: Ah bless you! Though surely guys would judge you similarly based on first impressions? We have two guys and five girls in our German. Do you start tomorrow?
Original post by iJess
Wow, that's really good. I have essay based subjects as I'm better at them, I was never good at maths or science subjects unfortunately. I'm doing the NCFE Resort Rep qualifiation which is 2 hours a week with a guarenteed interview with Thomas Cook when passed, and it goes nicely with my Travel & Tourism. I'm hoping to do a tourism based degree at uni. I'm also doing anti-bullying mentoring for younger students & conversational/holiday spanish speaking :smile:

Mhmm, I'm exactly the opposite - not very good with essay subjects but I think that's to do with moving around countries and schools a lot when I was little... I'm still playing catch up 10 years later D:
That's sounds awesome! Do you have any ideas of where you'd like to work? I assume you can work in a lot of different countries with a tourism degree which is great if you'd like a change of scenery.
Aww that sounds really sweet!
How long have you been doing Spanish for?

27.5?! :redface: We only have 25 hours of school (exclusive of form, PEP, lunch and break), and then I have at least five hours of private study/frees a week. Though it does annoy as I feel that time would be much more productive if spent being taught in lessons that struggling to find any relevant books in my school library :frown:
Original post by iLOVEmusic1234

Hello there *nods*

Latest