The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 880
Original post by NedStark
Yeah Nottingham had this great Economics course with a touch of Mandarin and a year in China which sounded great until I realised the course is a BA only. :frown:

I think the maths content is also a bit flimsy on that course, I know someone who got in without even doing A Level maths
Original post by Giant
I think the maths content is also a bit flimsy on that course, I know someone who got in without even doing A Level maths

There you go, I'm avoiding it then. No maths = no good.

Where are you applying for your insurance?
Original post by robin1125
No, I'm a guy...

Lol, sorry, your description of events was identical to my Target 2.0 experience.
Reply 883
There you go, I'm avoiding it then. No maths = no good.

Where are you applying for your insurance?

That Bristol course.

Everywhere else is A*AA
Yeah Nottingham had this great Economics course with a touch of Mandarin and a year in China which sounded great until I realised the course is a BA only. :frown:

Man I've always wanted to go to China :frown:
Original post by Dilzo999

Same, I wanted to go to China and Japan but very few Universities offer degrees that accommodate this. My best bet is just do Economics and learn Japanese with the evening classes that Universities offer. (I hope it's as simple as that)
Reply 886
Original post by Dilzo999

Same, I wanted to go to China and Japan but very few Universities offer degrees that accommodate this. My best bet is just do Economics and learn Japanese with the evening classes that Universities offer. (I hope it's as simple as that)

Nothing wrong with a BA option, the Cambridge course is BA as well.

You shouldn't let a couple of letters put you off of your interests
Original post by Giant
Nothing wrong with a BA option, the Cambridge course is BA as well.

You shouldn't let a couple of letters put you off of your interests

Even though it's BA, it's highly mathematical which is what I'm looking for.
Reply 888
Even though it's BA, it's highly mathematical which is what I'm looking for.

Fair enough I guess
Reply 889
When referencing an epq or a project in the personal statement, what should you write after telling the reader what you investigated?
Reply 890
Original post by Jkizer
When referencing an epq or a project in the personal statement, what should you write after telling the reader what you investigated?

Your findings?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 891
Hey guys
Just wanted to know what kinda AS Grades you should have to apply to places such as Warwick, LSE, UCL? Would AABBB or AAABB even ABBBB be good enough?
Reply 892
Original post by Smko
Hey guys
Just wanted to know what kinda AS Grades you should have to apply to places such as Warwick, LSE, UCL? Would AABBB or AAABB even ABBBB be good enough?

It really depends on what your predicted grades are. If you get AAABB but are predicted A*A*A* then no, it won't matter.

But if you get ABBBB and get predicted ABB then it may matter (assuming you are applying for straight economics, which is insanely competitive at those unis)

Ideally you want to be predicted at least A*AA because that is the standard offer for Economics. However, it's important to realise that there are loads of courses with varying offers such as Economics and Finance, Actuarial Sciences, Accounting etc. Make sure your personal statement, reference etc. is all really good as well as there are more factors than your AS grades. GCSEs hold some sway as well, especially with the Universities that you've mentioned
Reply 893
Original post by Smko
Hey guys

I know that for LSE, if you have AAABB and are predicted A*AA minimum you have a shot (like someone said above) since you have the minimum requirements - but I think it is important to stay realistic when picking your 5 unis to apply to. So for example, you can apply to 2 unis with A*AA requirments if you have AAABB and maybe one with ABBBB, but for the rest go for a combination of unis with requirments AAA, AAB, ABB perhaps. You may be perfectly able to achieve A*AA by the end of the year, its about convincing the uni. Good luck :smile: xx
Reply 894
Original post by Giant
It really depends on what your predicted grades are. If you get AAABB but are predicted A*A*A* then no, it won't matter.

But if you get ABBBB and get predicted ABB then it may matter (assuming you are applying for straight economics, which is insanely competitive at those unis)

Ideally you want to be predicted at least A*AA because that is the standard offer for Economics. However, it's important to realise that there are loads of courses with varying offers such as Economics and Finance, Actuarial Sciences, Accounting etc. Make sure your personal statement, reference etc. is all really good as well as there are more factors than your AS grades. GCSEs hold some sway as well, especially with the Universities that you've mentioned

Original post by Nadine10
I know that for LSE, if you have AAABB and are predicted A*AA minimum you have a shot (like someone said above) since you have the minimum requirements - but I think it is important to stay realistic when picking your 5 unis to apply to. So for example, you can apply to 2 unis with A*AA requirments if you have AAABB and maybe one with ABBBB, but for the rest go for a combination of unis with requirments AAA, AAB, ABB perhaps. You may be perfectly able to achieve A*AA by the end of the year, its about convincing the uni. Good luck :smile: xx

Thank you both for the responces! :smile: +Rep :smile: Getting AAABB at AS Is pretty good no?
Reply 895
Original post by Smko
Thank you both for the responces! :smile: +Rep :smile: Getting AAABB at AS Is pretty good no?

Yeah ofc its still good, I am assuming you would continue with the 3 subjects that you got AAA in right?
Reply 896
Original post by Nadine10
Yeah ofc its still good, I am assuming you would continue with the 3 subjects that you got AAA in right?

Erm 4 subjects :biggrin: I really enjoy the subjects so if i can turn that B into an A at A2 i dont mind :biggrin:
Original post by Smko

AAABB are great grades, but depends on what the subjects are?
my PS is really coming along nicely now ! managed to get it under 4000 characters for the first time , and it now actually reads like a decent-ish Economics PS. hows everyone else's going ?
Reply 899
Original post by Fas
my PS is really coming along nicely now ! managed to get it under 4000 characters for the first time , and it now actually reads like a decent-ish Economics PS. hows everyone else's going ?

Finished mine, getting a few friends and teachers to look over it and then I'll send it off within the next week or two hopefully

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending