The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4620
Original post by Joe7
I'm doing Tsarist and Stalinist, you?

Totalitarian Ideology (first lesson tomorrow :biggrin:) + Sixties Social Revolution :h:
Original post by Tibbz2
I'm pretty sure if you tried storing anything anywhere near the sun it wouldn't last very long, no matter in it! :tongue:

But if you had to ignore the great temperatures. Is the core of the sun molten? If so can it be compressed to provide a gap for storage? Also is the core of the sun actually the most dense point, because i thought in nuclear fusion the elements slowly get heavier as you get closer to the center of a star? According to the wiki the Sun isn't actually solid at all :confused: Can you store stuff on the surface of the sun and because "the sun" is actually up to its gaseous layer or something that would still count as being inside.

I need an answer, in volume, to the capacity :/ my teacher is mad.
Original post by Doomlar
I'm stuck with 24 hours of lessons per week across five subjects, leaving me with only two frees a week... although, one good thing is that I have Wednesdays off :biggrin:

How do you manage to have 24 hours a week if you have a day off?
Reply 4623
Original post by Glitch96
But if you had to ignore the great temperatures. Is the core of the sun molten? If so can it be compressed to provide a gap for storage? Also is the core of the sun actually the most dense point, because i thought in nuclear fusion the elements slowly get heavier as you get closer to the center of a star? According to the wiki the Sun isn't actually solid at all :confused: Can you store stuff on the surface of the sun and because "the sun" is actually up to its gaseous layer or something that would still count as being inside.

I need an answer, in volume, to the capacity :/ my teacher is mad.

I'm confused at why they would want you to know this, as of course it's not something that will ever need to be known or used!

The sun is really just a massive ball of very condensed gas/plasma. The centre will certainly be the most dense part of it... I doubt you could compress anything inside it any more than it is, as it is already a perfect balance between gravity compressing it and the fusion pushing it back.
Original post by Tibbz2
I'm confused at why they would want you to know this, as of course it's not something that will ever need to be known or used!

The sun is really just a massive ball of very condensed gas/plasma. The centre will certainly be the most dense part of it... I doubt you could compress anything inside it any more than it is, as it is already a perfect balance between gravity compressing it and the fusion pushing it back.

To make things worse, you know what the 'stuff' going inside is? Mice (the teacher chose it). In this demented essay I have addressed the possibility of compressing the mice and possibly removing limbs to maximize capacity... what am I thinking xD

You could just replace the dense plasma in the middle with, erm, dense mice, this way the gravitational pull will be intact, I'm not sure if the sun will still 'burn' though. You could always make an all new mice based sun :tongue: Could you also argue that the high pressure, breaking up the atomic structure of the mice cells, would just leave the building blocks for all the mice and could technically equal just one supersized mouse?

Oh and although they want a serious answer(s), it is merely just to get you thinking about theoretic physics, how there isn't a definite answer and it's mostly guesswork.
Reply 4625
Does anyone else hate it when they have a free period 1 but have to go in and sit there like an unused lamp when you could be in bed:dry:
Original post by Squidgy
Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Geography and German ... I hate 4/5 of those subjects :frown:
Which subjects are you doingr?

That's quite tense. I'm doing Maths, Fm, Chem, Physics and History. Want to drop History though to free up some time to have a life.
Reply 4627
Original post by Katie97
Does anyone else hate it when they have a free period 1 but have to go in and sit there like an unused lamp when you could be in bed:dry:

Ergh I feel you, I have to be in normal time tomorrow when I don't start until 11 :mad:
Original post by Katie97

I hate that too! I only have lessons on Monday Period 4 and 5 so I want to stay at home for a bit (and I can still get on with work when I'm there cause it's easier to concentrate without people around.) Then at lunch time I'll go in to the lessons. Hopefully I will be able to do this next week - this week we still have to go for registration every day but after that they try and find a day that fits in with everyone's timetables. But because most of my form are doing different subjects to me, I can just imagine with my luck that we'll be going in early on Mondays! :rolleyes:
Reply 4629
Original post by Dougieowner
I hate that too! I only have lessons on Monday Period 4 and 5 so I want to stay at home for a bit (and I can still get on with work when I'm there cause it's easier to concentrate without people around.) Then at lunch time I'll go in to the lessons. Hopefully I will be able to do this next week - this week we still have to go for registration every day but after that they try and find a day that fits in with everyone's timetables. But because most of my form are doing different subjects to me, I can just imagine with my luck that we'll be going in early on Mondays! :rolleyes:

Ugh, I honestly don't know what I'd do with all that time. Every day I have 2 frees and luckily, they are never straight after each other. This guy in my year had lessons 9-11 the other day and then had to wait until 3 to go home. :yucky:
Reply 4630
Original post by Cluck
2000, 1000 in each year.

:eek: There's like 30 kids in my year.
Original post by Mr.Nor
Another person on AQA history :h:

Me too :biggrin: Which units are you doing?
Reply 4632
Original post by peaaceandl0ve
Me too :biggrin: Which units are you doing?

Totalitarian Ideology for unit 1 and Sixties Social Revolution for unit 2 :h: What about you?
Original post by Ninjasrule
My school day is almost 7 hours and we have 5x50 minute lessons of each subject during the week - but I've counted biology which I'm doing at home as part of my school study time. Overall we have 6 lesson slots a day.
Also everyone does a extra compulsory 3x50 minutes (2 of sport and one of general studies). ^.^ I only have two private study/free sessions a week but I use my lunch time for extra study time (it's over an hour long so why not).
Aw, have you spoken to the librarian or the school council about possibly ordering a few more study books?

Oh wow, that must be tiring! Are you self-teaching Biology then? If so I am in awe, you must be very determinated! Ah, I was supposed to be doing Critical Thinking, but our head of year decided that only people who were free in a certain option block could do it, so my friends and I are pretty annoyed :/ Our lunch is only forty minutes, it used to be 45 but got shortened :frown: I may have to, they really need to get books that we can actually use to study from. I looked at my local library too and there weren't any there either, so I may have to order some from Amazon.
Original post by Joe7
I'm doing Tsarist and Stalinist, you?
I'm doing Tsarist Russia too, and Stalinist in year 13
Original post by Katie97
Ugh, I honestly don't know what I'd do with all that time. Every day I have 2 frees and luckily, they are never straight after each other. This guy in my year had lessons 9-11 the other day and then had to wait until 3 to go home. :yucky:

On Thursday I had two frees right after each other and I had nothing to do, it was pretty boring. But now I've done some lessons and have been given some textbooks for French, I'm thinking I will go through some grammar and vocab because I may as well. And then once a book for English arrives from Amazon (probably on Tuesday) I will read that in my frees - I'd rather do homework where I need full concentration at home, and stuff like reading at school.

My Grandparents live near the school so if I need to go in early on Monday's I might go there and do homework, I'll see what I feel like. Sitting around for 3 hours might get unproductive after a while so I might want to change my surroundings. It also means that I get nicer food than what's available at school :biggrin:
Reply 4635
I'm doing about Nazi Germany for history. I'm quite looking forward to it. Hopefully won't be at too much of a disadvantage not doing it for GCSE:grin:
What are you guys doing in terms of extra work? At the moment I'm solving extra equations for maths, going over notes and making flashcards in bio and chem, and reading ahead for geog, but I'm not sure if I'm going about this in the right ways...
Original post by Georgiecat
What are you guys doing in terms of extra work? At the moment I'm solving extra equations for maths, going over notes and making flashcards in bio and chem, and reading ahead for geog, but I'm not sure if I'm going about this in the right ways...

I've not really done loads of extra work yet, but I've done a bit. My subjects are different but I may as well explain some stuff for others too. Today for French I've been writing some grammar notes into neat to put into my huge arch lever file. I will need to refer to these throughout the course so I thought it'd be good to get ahead of it (also it's revision writing them up before we go over them again in class.) And then I wrote some vocab lists too. I might also read ahead in the textbooks/look over what's there so I'm ready before each lesson.

I'm going to do the same for Spanish, and then for English Literature I think I'm going to do some research on the plays we're looking at to get a wider idea of context, and maybe look at some essays online to get a better idea of what mine will need to be like for the coursework. For English Language I don't really know yet, we haven't done much but I think I might go get a revision guide and learn all the technical terminology because the examiners like to see that in the coursework.

I think I might organise into a timetable when I'm going to do independent study for each subject because I want to make sure I do it in every subject instead of just focusing on one or two.
Anybody doing the College Honours Programme? (...Or heard of it?) :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4639
Original post by peaaceandl0ve
Hurrah for vinyls!

We had an induction week for Sixth Form (a whole week, gr), and our German teacher was away so I had an extra free period every day :biggrin: Ah bless you! Though surely guys would judge you similarly based on first impressions? We have two guys and five girls in our German. Do you start tomorrow?

I think I'm going to develop an addiction to collecting records... :colondollar:

A whole week? Why did you need a whole week? :tongue: Surely a day is enough. :tongue: Hm, maybe guys are them same, but I don't know, I can sort of start creating 'banter' with a guy straight away, whereas I don't really want to come across as a dick to a girl... :tongue:

Yeah I FINALLY start tomorrow. :tongue: You?

Latest