The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick Freshers 2013 Megathread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 620
Original post by Naami
I've set up a direct debit for accommodation. I don't need to set up one for tuition fees if SF is paying for my tuition right?

I'm confused of when to set up a direct debit seeing as I dont know where ill be living and thus my fees :confused:
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by Nirgilis

No making a mess! :unimpressed: . I'm First Aiding that thing :erm:

Haha don't worry my days of inexperience and mess making are past :L
Reply 622
Original post by Naami
Do you live close by? I'm planning to leave at 9:30 and get there for 12 hopefully. I just wanna get there as early as I can so that I can get to the Fresher's Fair and nab some goody bags :biggrin:

From London, so not too far off. :smile: Turns out my parents don't want us to leave too early because my sister's leaving the same day so they think there will be too much of a rush if we leave early. :/
Oh crap, I won't be there until about 2! I hope I don't miss out on any goodybags! :redface:
So, when we arrive, I know my mum will hang around for a bit, how long do parents normally stay?
Do we leave them to it whilst going round freshers fair or do they tag along?
So many questions :colondollar:
Original post by Hootie*
From London, so not too far off. :smile: Turns out my parents don't want us to leave too early because my sister's leaving the same day so they think there will be too much of a rush if we leave early. :/
Oh crap, I won't be there until about 2! I hope I don't miss out on any goodybags! :redface:

I'm not leaving until 9am or after, so I'm not likely to be there before 2pm either. Annoyingly my whole family has decided to come down to drop me off :rolleyes:
Reply 625
This doesn't technically belong here but I'll ask it anyway:

My student loan is being paid in weird installments meaning £2250 at a certain date, £2250 4 months later, then 3 months later £4500. Is this right? I thought Warwick wanted the entire £9000 at the start of the year.
Original post by MatteoG

My student loan is being paid in weird installments meaning £2250 at a certain date, £2250 4 months later, then 3 months later £4500. Is this right? I thought Warwick wanted the entire £9000 at the start of the year.

Hey, yeah thats fine! :smile:
Original post by NiceToMeetYou
So, when we arrive, I know my mum will hang around for a bit, how long do parents normally stay?

Last year, my parents helped me set up some bits in my room e.g. stuff like the bed, clothes and kitchen bits, then they left :smile: I waited for people in my corridor to arrive then we went to the freshers fair together :smile:
Does anyone know if we have to pay the whole accommodation fee upfront, or if you pay instalments at the start of each term? I only get about £1100-1200 maintenance loan at the start of each term as the SLC don't give it all at once so its going to be a pain if I've got to pay thousands of pounds straight away!
Do many people go out of the uni in the first year to bars/clubs or do people mainly just stay inside the campus and go to events there? What about parties in the dorms, do people ever generally stay in listen to music and stuff or is it used for more of a pre-drinks thing? (Applied to rootes by the way, i'm sure a few people have mentioned it above)

This doesn't really need to be answered if you haven't got time, i'm just bored on a sunday night so thought i'd pop on aha. Absolutely cannot wait.
Original post by Ryan Gregg
Do many people go out of the uni in the first year to bars/clubs or do people mainly just stay inside the campus and go to events there? What about parties in the dorms, do people ever generally stay in listen to music and stuff or is it used for more of a pre-drinks thing? (Applied to rootes by the way, i'm sure a few people have mentioned it above)

This doesn't really need to be answered if you haven't got time, i'm just bored on a sunday night so thought i'd pop on aha. Absolutely cannot wait.

Hey :smile: at the start of term 1, freshers tend to stick to the SU, freshers fortnight is good at the SU! However, after the first few weeks, freshers tend to start venturing out a bit to Coventry (Kasbah (Club) mainly) and Leamington - which also have plenty of clubs :smile: I was in Arthur Vick last year and although I did have my birthday party indoors (it was when it was snowing and we couldn't go out :frown: ) it is mainly used for pre-drinks :smile: I also did go to rootes for a birthday pre-drinks once before we all went out! :smile: If you have any other questions, I'm bored as well so I don't mind answering :smile:
Original post by Math-Magician
Does anyone know if we have to pay the whole accommodation fee upfront, or if you pay instalments at the start of each term? I only get about £1100-1200 maintenance loan at the start of each term as the SLC don't give it all at once so its going to be a pain if I've got to pay thousands of pounds straight away!

Hey, that's how much my maintenance loan is around - and last year you paid for your accommodation in termly installments :smile:
Reply 632
Geheez guys, stop talking already! :tongue:

Original post by jamiep151
Haha don't worry my days of inexperience and mess making are past :L

I believe this gif is in order... :wink:

It's going to be the two worst nights of the year :tongue:

This depends on your parents really. I know most are completely understanding and will zoom straight off to let you get straight into it. However, if they want to help you unpack, let them! :h: . Then, if they want to take you out for lunch, also let them! (last time you eat well in a while mind :wink: ) . A lot will ask to get you a fridge/freezer full of stuff before they leave though, so, let them! :teeth: . They've spent 18 years raising you, if they want a long good bye, try to be understanding :yep:

As for the freshers fair, I would try and get a flatmate to go with you to that :h: . It's a great way to get to know them on the way there, plus you get to get lost in pairs! :ahee:

Original post by MatteoG

They pay it in weird instalments like that, yep :yep: . Don't worry! :tongue: . Means it's a bit cheaper if you're unfortunate enough to drop out though :sad:

Original post by Math-Magician

You will need to pay the entire term's worth of accommodation up front, yes. However, once that's been deducted, you know the money left is yours to live/go out on, so it's not too bad :h:

Original post by Ryan Gregg

This is up to the set of freshers :erm: . The freshers two years ago were generally fantastic at staying on campus, with enough demand at each nightclub event to merit them :yep:

Last year's freshers were horrendous though! After 3/4 weeks of on campus stuff, they all seemed to head to Leamington and Coventry! :tongue: (as I will ALWAYS tell you to at least try :yep: ) . This meant the SU had to start cancelling events :sad: (and hence my job! So be good! :wink: )

Original post by LGrosvenor101
Oh ok :P I know we have key skill workshops in the celcat timetable? Are those what you mean? haha :P

Yes :sad: . For the first half of the term they are a complete waste of your life, but compulsory :tongue: (though, based on feedback, they might have changed them :yep: ). Then they got hard! People complained in our year, so they should be changed for you :wink:

Original post by HeyyImRyan

2) Probably asked before, but I haven't found it. What are the decor restrictions for Warwick halls? On things like posters, fairy lights, rugs etc.

The only real ''restriction'' is that the place isn't damaged (including blu-tac on walls, so be careful) and is left in the same condition as you found it :h: . So knock yourself out :P
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by LGrosvenor101
Hey, that's how much my maintenance loan is around - and last year you paid for your accommodation in termly installments :smile:

Thanks, that's good to know :smile:
3 weeks seems such a long time to wait yet such a short time to sort everything out!
Reply 635
3 weeks seems such a long time to wait yet such a short time to sort everything out!

And it won't change with essay deadlines :awesome: :five:

Spoiler

Original post by HeyyImRyan
So I haven't posted yet and think now is probably a good time to get the answer to my billion and one questions (sorry in advance) :colondollar:.
BUT, firstly: I'm Ryan: First year Politics student; I have an uncanny ability to finish off a bottle of wine in less than ten minutes;

As you'll find out fairly soon, that's not particularly fast compared to some people. "Quick" is measured in seconds.

1) To clarify, does the entire 1st year undergrad intake have a VC address at 9am on Monday morning?! That's what I gathered from this.

Yes, I believe so.
Original post by Nirgilis

I believe this gif is in order... :wink:

It's going to be the two worst nights of the year :tongue:

Having used an Anchorman gif I have no choice but to do what I can to make you look good, in this case I think the best way to do this is to make you correct and live up to the expectations, expect mess :biggrin:
Reply 638
Original post by s_axo
I'm confused of when to set up a direct debit seeing as I dont know where ill be living and thus my fees :confused:

I set mine up just now, it only requires bank details. I'm not going to pay or anything until I get my accom confirmed obviously, but you can still set the direct debit up :smile: i did it for accom only because the SLC pays our tuition fees so didn't think we'd have to set one up for that.
Reply 639
Original post by Zeegie
I set mine up just now, it only requires bank details. I'm not going to pay or anything until I get my accom confirmed obviously, but you can still set the direct debit up :smile: i did it for accom only because the SLC pays our tuition fees so didn't think we'd have to set one up for that.

OOHHHHHH I see! That makes much more sense, I is silly. :rolleyes: Thank you xxx

Quick Reply

Latest