The Student Room Group

What are your mental illnesses? Share experiences.

Okay so I've always had a few mental health problems since the age of around 12, the worst being an ED, depression and an anxiety disorder, however in recent months i've developed 'Psychosis' (not actually been told properly 'You have Schizophrenia' or 'You have Bipolar' and such, but I'm being seen by an intervention team who are starting me off on Seroquel)

I just thought it'd be good for me and other people to hear all your experiences with mental health issues, maybe share experiences and feel like you're not alone!

I for one don't know anyone else with psychosis and I think it'd really benefit me and others to find people who have similar problems, how you've dealt with them etc etc :-)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by jemmajustice
Okay so I've always had a few mental health problems since the age of around 12, the worst being an ED, depression and an anxiety disorder, however in recent months i've developed 'Psychosis' (not actually been told properly 'You have Schizophrenia' or 'You have Bipolar' and such, but I'm being seen by an intervention team who are starting me off on Seroquel)

I just thought it'd be good for me and other people to hear all your experiences with mental health issues, maybe share experiences and feel like you're not alone!

I for one don't know anyone else with psychosis and I think it'd really benefit me and others to find people who have similar problems, how you've dealt with them etc etc :-)

Search the mental health support society on here (i cant link as on my phone) theres a few people on there with different shades of psycosis, and theres so many different mental health issues.
I myself have diagnosed depression and anxiety aswell as a half diagnosed ED

Posted from TSR Mobile
Depression, anxiety, OCD and a panic disorder! I had a really low point last Christmas and that put everything into perspective for me and since then I've been doing really well! I still obviously have my bad days but I'm happy! And I'm bloomin well staying happy! :smile: I wish all the best for all the people still struggling, just remember that it does get better!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

I have a diagnosis of schizoaffective disorder, which is basically psychosis plus a mood disorder (depression for me). What would you like to know exactly? I took seroquel myself until a few weeks ago - was very sedating and made me put on weight but did help a fair amount to start with at least. Good luck with it. :smile:
I was diagnosed with a disorder that doesn't even have a name yet :/ I have satyrisis and tendencies towards homicidal violence... But only when I'm really agitated (according to the doc)
Reply 5
Original post by Sabertooth
I have a diagnosis of schizoaffective disorder, which is basically psychosis plus a mood disorder (depression for me). What would you like to know exactly? I took seroquel myself until a few weeks ago - was very sedating and made me put on weight but did help a fair amount to start with at least. Good luck with it. :smile:

What's the difference between schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorder, please?
Reply 6
Anorexia, severe depression and anxiety.
Reply 7
In response to the OP - I experienced psychosis for a few months last year, if you have any questions about it I'd be happy to discuss it (or just listen to your experiences if you need someone to talk to). :smile:
Long-term I'm diagnosed with AvPD (Avoidant Personality Disorder), which leads to bouts of depression.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Due to an anxiety disorder coupled with low mood which reached crisis point a couple of months ago, I was hospitalised as I was no longer safe, and this led to a diagnosis of dysthymia which is a chronic depression lasting 2 or more years and never really leaving. People with dysthymia can also experience major depressive episodes which is known as double depression. I have anxiety, panic attacks and flashbacks to physical and emotional abuse I suffered as a child. I'm currently in the process of possibly being diagnosed with borderline personality disorder, and may also have some sort of postnatal depression.

I have to see a community mental health nurse on the perinatal team every week, and a lot of the time have such dark days that I cannot function normally.

Hope it helps you :-)
Reply 9
I think is entirely rude and ignorant to presume people are attention seeking and lying or exaggerating about mental illness and Psychologists and Psychiatrists don't just diagnose people on a whim, people have to fit a diagnostic criteria which has to be assessed through one on one meetings. Mental illness can be completely distressing and dibiltiating to people's lives, there is a huge stigma attached to it and never mind all the names (loony bin, nut job, nutter etc) why would anyone want to 'pretend' to be mentally ill when you get treated like a weirdo outcast most of the time, it's no life anyone would wish.

I also have Schizo-affective disorder, except mine is the bipolar type.

I struggled with it for a long time but found a good medication cocktail just under a year ago and things are going well.

My early intervention team was am amazing.

Psychosis can be horrible so if you need any help/just want to chat about it I'm always game :smile:
Original post by OU Student
What's the difference between schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorder, please?

Schizophrenia is the combination of positive and negative symptoms. Whereas schizo-affective disorder is where schizophrenic symptoms appear at the same time but distinctly separate to affective symptoms (such as depression or mania).

That's how I understand it at least, it's meant to be very hard to diagnose.
Reply 12
PTSD, I've dealt with it for years with alcohol. I've heard rumors that taking extacy can actually cure it, anyone know if that's a load of crap or not?

I've started to find myself become very mildly delusional at times, I don't understand why it is happening to me though =/
Reply 13
Anxiety and Depression. Not the best combination in the world. I feel really low and at the same time get anxious for nothing. I'm on Diazepam(PRN) and Citalopram

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have bad anxiety issues, particularly social anxiety. I haven't been officially diagnosed, but I've had panic attacks in public and my social anxiety can make the most simple things such as going to the shops/ going to the doctor a challenge for me. My nerves also give me crippling stomach aches :/
Anxiety, and bouts of depression.
Reply 17
Hi, since the age of fourteen (I'm 18 now) I have suffered with depression, anxiety and Depersonalization Disorder. I got DPD from a panic attack whilst smoking weed, it caused me to feel disconnected and detached from myself and the world around me. It's so strange, it's impossible to explain it to someone who hasn't experienced it. Everything looks and feels fake, like you're living in a dream. But as a direct side effect from that, I became really anxious and depressed... Too scared to leave the house because outside looked weird, and too scared to speak to people because they looked weird, etc.
Reply 18
Recurrent Major Depressive Disorder/BiPolar II. Meds...Venlafaxine, Quetiapine and Propanolol. Get Disabled Students Allowance.
Reply 19
Original post by OU Student

schizophrenia is simply schizophrenia, but schizoaffective is schizophrenia with symptoms of other mood disorders, like bipolar or depression I think? Correct me if i'm wrong someone!

Quick Reply

Latest