The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GaloisCircles
Its quite a lot, but certainly not too much. I had 10 in AS. But I started revision at beginning of April. I would recommend starting proper revision...ie making notes in February as I was quite stressed during exams because I think i started too late.

And you have more exams so I would recommend starting proper revision in feb. But its definitely doable...and people will now have more exams generally (though for AS I imagine only 1 or maybe 2 more).

I have 12 A2s this summer, 3 STEP and AEA (possibly)...so I think I'll start early too!

Most importantly, make sure everything you have learnt in the first term, you consolidate in the Christmas holidays.

Oh wow you have more exams than me!
I've got 11A2s probably 2 STEP papers and AEA :tongue: (will do all 3 STEP if they don't clash)

Sorry to hear about the S2 mark btw. Was it with edexcel? Mine was surprisingly lower than expected and so were my friends marks. (no doubt because wording of hypothesis testing and something on the first question)
I
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Dilzo999
Course: Economics & Maths/MORSE
AS Subjects: Maths (A), Further maths (A), Economics (A), Computer Science (C),*
A2 Subjects: Maths (A*), Further maths (A*), Economics (A) + STEP possibly.
University choices: LSE, UCL, Warwick, Bristol and Surrey.

Added! :biggrin:

Original post by Soontobesuper
Heyy :smile:Could you please change my course to Biochem:colondollar:? I've figured I'd be tactical:colone: and apply for that and maybe change course after the first year, as most allow that, definitely Soton and KCL do, and according to Which? a higher % of candidates get offers when they apply for Biochem than Biomed.

:hat2:

Sure, done! :colone:

Original post by Endless Blue

To anyone who has done an EPQ, how much detail did you go into about it in your PS? I'm pretty short on characters, and I'm not sure whether to a) mention the title? b) explain the skills I've developed from it/will develop, in my case :tongue: or how that's made me more interested in my course, or both..

I've got many different opinions on this from people. :tongue: I've mentioned it briefly, saying how it's developed my understanding in the area and shows I have an interest in the subject etc. :tongue:
I got AAA in Maths, FM and Economics, I'm applying for Morse at Warwick, Southampton and Maths & Eco at LSE, UCL and just normal Eco at Surrey. Also shouldn't you put a decent backup uni?

Wow well those are strong subjects! Yeah at warwick id pick morse too. Do they offer straight maths there as well...I haven't really looked !

Yeah Ive got Bristol as my backup kind of one. But tbh I have only chosen unis that I want to go to. I dont want to put a much lower offer requirement backup uni simply because if I miss all my other unis and am left with that I probably wouldnt go.

I dont want to go to any uni just for the sake of it ygm. I want to do maths and at one of those that I have picked. If I weren't good enough for any of them I just would follow a different path from uni.
Wow well those are strong subjects! Yeah at warwick id pick morse too. Do they offer straight maths there as well...I haven't really looked !

Yeah Ive got Bristol as my backup kind of one. But tbh I have only chosen unis that I want to go to. I dont want to put a much lower offer requirement backup uni simply because if I miss all my other unis and am left with that I probably wouldnt go.

I dont want to go to any uni just for the sake of it ygm. I want to do maths and at one of those that I have picked. If I weren't good enough for any of them I just would follow a different path from uni.

Yeah I understand. Are you going to do STEP as well?
Original post by Robbie242
Oh wow you have more exams than me!
I've got 11A2s probably 2 STEP papers and AEA :tongue: (will do all 3 STEP if they don't clash)

Sorry to hear about the S2 mark btw. Was it with edexcel? Mine was surprisingly lower than expected and so were my friends marks. (no doubt because wording of hypothesis testing and something on the first question)
I

Well 10 of my exams are maths so its not so bad :colone: Ooh I didn't think theyd clash...well only 2 STEPS if they do clash then! Have you considered taking AEA...with all the STEP prep I think it'd be covered for so if I miss camb or dont get an offer it would certainly make meeting a warwick offer easier.

Thanks, but no it was on OCR MEI. I still am not too sure where I went wrong. All my classmates marks were alot lower than expected too. But there was a question where it said show you cant use normal distribution...then the next part literally said use normal distribution but for another sample. So i suspect I may have messed up a lot there! Trying to get a hold of the markscheme off my teacher!

How was your S2? What modules are you doing this year then

BTW nice to meet you....I'm Evariste :colone:
Yeah I understand. Are you going to do STEP as well?

Well should I get an offer from camb or warwick I will have to. But if not I will probably anyway as its great uni prep i would have thought and is improving myself as a mathematician. Atm I can get a 1 or just about an S in STEP I so I will definitely sit that exam anyway.

What about yourself?
Original post by usycool1
Added! :biggrin:

:hat2:

Sure, done! :colone:

I've got many different opinions on this from people. :tongue: I've mentioned it briefly, saying how it's developed my understanding in the area and shows I have an interest in the subject etc. :tongue:

Nice, I think I've done something similar :smile: Got a lot of research to do in the next few weeks; apart from Google and JSTOR etc, I have no clue where to look! :confused:
Well 10 of my exams are maths so its not so bad :colone: Ooh I didn't think theyd clash...well only 2 STEPS if they do clash then! Have you considered taking AEA...with all the STEP prep I think it'd be covered for so if I miss camb or dont get an offer it would certainly make meeting a warwick offer easier.

Thanks, but no it was on OCR MEI. I still am not too sure where I went wrong. All my classmates marks were alot lower than expected too. But there was a question where it said show you cant use normal distribution...then the next part literally said use normal distribution but for another sample. So i suspect I may have messed up a lot there! Trying to get a hold of the markscheme off my teacher!

How was your S2? What modules are you doing this year then

BTW nice to meet you....I'm Evariste :colone:

Haha same 9 of mine are maths :colone: 2 are economics. Exactly I couldn't handle two steps in a row, 6 hours of pure maths (or mechanics or stats) :colone: in an exam format would break me.

Yup I wrote above I'm sitting AEA for my Warwick offer :cool:. Yeah I've looked through the AEA paper, it isn't hard at all compared to STEP but its still harder than the a-level syllabus.

Ah fair enough, that must have being pretty confusing... I lost marks on 10p coins and sampling, 10p coins destroyed my chances at 100ums (also probably using the word ''number'' instead of ''rate'' on a hypothesis question :facepalm: ).

My S2 was good but I was expecting better, I got dead on 90 so I just scrapped the A* but expected more like 96 damn them high boundaries!

I'm doing:
Maths: C3, C4, D1
Further Maths: FP2, M2, FP3
AFM (AS): M3, M4 and S3

Nice to meet you Evariste Galois? :colone: (I'm not sure if you're trying to pose as Evariste himself or if your actual name is Evariste :lol: )

I've got a 92.5% average for Maths and Further Maths, S1 (79 ums) is where I fell behind :<
Has anyone seen these guys, reminds me of thelonelyisland but Norwegian :lol:

[video="youtube;mbyzgeee2mg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbyzgeee2mg[/video]
Well should I get an offer from camb or warwick I will have to. But if not I will probably anyway as its great uni prep i would have thought and is improving myself as a mathematician. Atm I can get a 1 or just about an S in STEP I so I will definitely sit that exam anyway.

What about yourself?

Already? That's mind blowing, I haven't even started C3/C4 yet let alone STEP. Although I need a 2 in STEP If I get my Warwick/UCL offer so it should be achievable by me if I work hard enough.
(edited 10 years ago)
Haha same 9 of mine are maths :colone: 2 are economics. Exactly I couldn't handle two steps in a row, 6 hours of pure maths (or mechanics or stats) :colone: in an exam format would break me.

Yup I wrote above I'm sitting AEA for my Warwick offer :cool:. Yeah I've looked through the AEA paper, it isn't hard at all compared to STEP but its still harder than the a-level syllabus.

Ah fair enough, that must have being pretty confusing... I lost marks on 10p coins and sampling, 10p coins destroyed my chances at 100ums (also probably using the word ''number'' instead of ''rate'' on a hypothesis question :facepalm: ).

My S2 was good but I was expecting better, I got dead on 90 so I just scrapped the A* but expected more like 96 damn them high boundaries!

I'm doing:
Maths: C3, C4, D1
Further Maths: FP2, M2, FP3
AFM (AS): M3, M4 and S3

Nice to meet you Evariste Galois? :colone: (I'm not sure if you're trying to pose as Evariste himself or if your actual name is Evariste :lol: )

I've got a 92.5% average for Maths and Further Maths, S1 (79 ums) is where I fell behind :<

I might do a few AEA papers soon. It looks like an algebra bash mostly.

Wow well done you got the A* in it. At the moment it looks unlikely that Ill get A* in FM since my only A2 module is below 90 :redface:

Haha! My name isn't really Evariste! Though I think I will seriously consider naming my first born child Galois, possibly with a middle name of Evariste :biggrin:

Thats a good UMS for camb, 90+ isn't it. Mines 94-95 depending on whether you include C3 and D1.

For mine I'm doing

A2 FM: FP2 M2 S3
AS AFM: M3 DE NM
A2 AFM: FP3 M4 S4

How are you on STEP I if youve started preparing?

Have you considered applying to Oxford. Because some of my maths UMS is a bit low, S2 and D1, I decided on Oxford instead of Cambridge for the last few weeks...got very worried and stressed about it. Thing is I did really good in the MAT papers so if I dont even get a Camb offer I know im going to be kicking myself!
Already? That's mind blowing, I haven't even started C3/C4 yet let alone STEP. Although I need a 2 in STEP If I get my Warwick/UCL offer so it should be achievable by me if I work hard enough.

Well I started preparing at beginning of August. Back in year 12 the questions looked horrendous. But I did like 2 a week at beginning of August and after like the 10th question everything became alot more manageable. I think you just have to get stuck in a few questions and then you find yourself becoming to access a lot more STEP questions. Now I do a STEP I question a day (excl weekends), and occassionally browse STEP II for a question that looks nice.

TBH there are a lot more mathematicians on here that I can see are much better than me, so I think STEP II and III are going to be a lot harder than STEP I judging by their results.
I might do a few AEA papers soon. It looks like an algebra bash mostly.

Wow well done you got the A* in it. At the moment it looks unlikely that Ill get A* in FM since my only A2 module is below 90 :redface:

Haha! My name isn't really Evariste! Though I think I will seriously consider naming my first born child Galois, possibly with a middle name of Evariste :biggrin:

Thats a good UMS for camb, 90+ isn't it. Mines 94-95 depending on whether you include C3 and D1.

For mine I'm doing

A2 FM: FP2 M2 S3
AS AFM: M3 DE NM
A2 AFM: FP3 M4 S4

How are you on STEP I if youve started preparing?

Have you considered applying to Oxford. Because some of my maths UMS is a bit low, S2 and D1, I decided on Oxford instead of Cambridge for the last few weeks...got very worried and stressed about it. Thing is I did really good in the MAT papers so if I dont even get a Camb offer I know im going to be kicking myself!

Yeah I've done a few AEA questions, not too hard at all.

Thanks I generally got the 90 though because I worked hard since September :redface: had to self teach all of FM AS so maybe that gives me a bit of leeway when Cambridge view my scores :cool:. We'll see really, if your already on STEP now I doubt you'll miss out on the A* (as well as having AFM in the wing).

Ahah that would be awesome, I'm thinking of naming one of my children after a mathematician, only if my future wife will let me though! xP

Yeah good enough, though overall a weak 86.17% (I go to a pretty bad VI form and this is M+FM/Econ/History averaged out ).

Oh nice. I assume DE and NM are OCR MEI exclusives I know NM stands for numerical methods but taking a guess here does DE stand for differential equations or something haha.

It's going fine at the moment - I've not done a whole paper though, I've managed to complete 3 entire questions 20/20 but my greatest priority was self-teaching C3 & C4 which is now complete!

My GCSEs are balls for Oxford I got 2B 5C 4Dist* and 1 Merit haha. True but stats and decision aren't really the main important modules for Camb, they will love your streak of 100s haha but its up to you at the end of the day. Also I absolutely adore Pembroke college and I haven't visited Oxford so I think I'll go to the very end with Cambridge (thing is I would be happy to get into Warwick anyway, Cambridge is just the big one but if I miss it I'm not reapplying).

My ums scores if you were curious :tongue:

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)

Why are your GCSE's so bad? One of my friends had horrendous GCSE's like D's and he got A's in AS and apparently it's because he got hit in the head in an accident and became a genius kinda bull****.
Why are your GCSE's so bad? One of my friends had horrendous GCSE's like D's and he got A's in AS and apparently it's because he got hit in the head in an accident and became a genius kinda bull****.

They were so bad because 2 reasons:

1. I was foundationised, entered for foundation for English, Maths and Science, meaning I couldn't exceed a C in some cases, entered for higher last minute for Maths. I got B and C in double science because of coursework at A*

2. I didn't work hard enough, I was addicted to World of Warcraft and often neglected every subject apart from Maths (bar homework) as I so desperately needed to pass it

Then come August 28th I quit world of warcraft and began working extremely hard
(edited 10 years ago)
They were so bad because 2 reasons:

1. I was foundationised, entered for foundation for English, Maths and Science, meaning I couldn't exceed a C in some cases, entered for higher last minute for Maths. I got B and C in double science because of coursework at A*

2. I didn't work hard enough, I was addicted to World of Warcraft and often neglected every subject apart from Maths (bar homework) as I so desperately needed to pass it

Then come August 28th I quit world of warcraft and began working extremely hard

Yeah I hate it when schools limit your abilities with a foundation course. To be honest foundation course shouldn't even exist, it seems like an easy way for a pass when a C isn't even that great anyways.
My attendance is 75% as I was absent on Friday due to being unwell. It looks so bad!
(edited 10 years ago)
Yeah I hate it when schools limit your abilities with a foundation course. To be honest foundation course shouldn't even exist, it seems like an easy way for a pass when a C isn't even that great anyways.

I agree wholeheartedly
Reply 2818
Oh fair enough! Did you do it this year? Out of interest what did you get in the modules?

I did, and I'll leave it as not great :redface:
My school has an absolute bull**** hierarchy complex.

I said in most schools students are allowed to choose their Maths modules and they said ''you heard wrong''. Then she said you do what we want not what you want, because we're teachers. :lol: I bet I could teach better than these ****ty school teachers if I had as much training as them. At least my FM teacher is nicer but for maths I got told off for discussing with my friends how I was disappointed with my S1 result when it came up in conversation. Then apparently I'm being a dick and lack social etiquette.

People have different aims, not everyone wants to get a C like my **** school thinks. A B is a failure to me. Does that make me a dick?.

Can't wait to leave this dump

Latest