The Student Room Group

Going to my first football match

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pessimist
Good lad.

:tongue:
Original post by Zürich
Problem with England games is that Wembley is such a ****ty area as well. Endless rows of nondescript terraced houses, dodgy Irish pubs and kebab shops. Wonder what foreign fans think when they come...

The stadium should never have even been built there. That's the worst thing.

For the money it cost, the problems it's had with the pitches and the fact they've killed off the FA Cup to help finance it, it's safe to say Wembley was a spectacular failure. Wasn't it three years late?

800m it cost.

For 300m they could have built this.

Two thirds of fans wanted it in Brum and it would only have cost 324m - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/1339062/Birmingham-launches-national-stadium-bid.html
Original post by Wilfred Little
The stadium should never have even been built there. That's the worst thing.

For the money it cost, the problems it's had with the pitches and the fact they've killed off the FA Cup to help finance it, it's safe to say Wembley was a spectacular failure. Wasn't it three years late?

800m it cost.

For 300m they could have built this.

Two thirds of fans wanted it in Brum and it would only have cost 324m - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/1339062/Birmingham-launches-national-stadium-bid.html

Yea spot on, I'm from London but I cant understand the logic of putting the national stadium in the far south east of the country at all.

The Allian Arena is a perfect modern stadium, beautiful inside and out with standing areas etc and the corporate seats not overbearing. But if you go to the stadium its right in the suburbs of Munich and property prices there are nothing compared to London. The Emirates stadium is hideous in comparison but cost 100m more because of Islington prices. But AFC couldnt avoid that whereas England chose Webley again.

Personally I'm not sure they should even have demolished the old stadium. They could easily have refurbished it relatively cheaply. The Olympic Stadium in Berlin was done like this and looks amazing.

800m for a soulless piece of real estate, genius.
Original post by Zürich
Yea spot on, I'm from London but I cant understand the logic of putting the national stadium in the far south east of the country at all.

The Allian Arena is a perfect modern stadium, beautiful inside and out with standing areas etc and the corporate seats not overbearing. But if you go to the stadium its right in the suburbs of Munich and property prices there are nothing compared to London. The Emirates stadium is hideous in comparison but cost 100m more because of Islington prices. But AFC couldnt avoid that whereas England chose Webley again.

Personally I'm not sure they should even have demolished the old stadium. They could easily have refurbished it relatively cheaply. The Olympic Stadium in Berlin was done like this and looks amazing.

800m for a soulless piece of real estate, genius.

Wasn't the old one falling to pieces though?

I've slagged the Emirates off before from a commercial and structural perspective but for the players it is awesome because Wenger put the pitch first above everything else.

& Agreed mate. It'd have been in the heart of the country, quick access for everyone. Next to an airport and a train station...

But whatever London wants, London gets :rolleyes:. And **** the fans as well.
Original post by Wilfred Little
Wasn't the old one falling to pieces though?

I've slagged the Emirates off before from a commercial and structural perspective but for the players it is awesome because Wenger put the pitch first above everything else.

& Agreed mate. It'd have been in the heart of the country, quick access for everyone. Next to an airport and a train station...

But whatever London wants, London gets :rolleyes:. And **** the fans as well.

They could have just gutted all of the cosmetic stuff like the seats and done a bit of restoration work on the outside. End of the day the structure is just a load of concrete and that wasnt falling apart. As I say the Olympic Stadium in Berlin looks brand new but was built pre-WW2, all of the stuff they did was purely cosmetic and it worked a treat. 50m to make it nice for the fans and fix the relatively few structural problems they spent 800m demolishing it and starting all over again...

The old Wembley was actually beautiful in its own way and very historic whereas the new one is horrible in every way. They could have preserved something very beautiful but
football in this country is all about money though. The FA wanted a new stadium as they could line their own pockets and then use the cost of the stadium to alter the FA cup/hold more internationals for even more money.

Speaking of Germany, they have a much fairer national system as they play in a different city every time so no matter where you live the DFB will visit sooner or later.

Yeah the Emirates pitch is like a snooker surface, Highbury was the same. Think our groundsmen have won every award going in fairness. O/w Emirates is just a place I go to watch AFC, would feel just the same watching them at Wembley/Twickenham every week which is a shame because for 400m you should build something pretty surely.

Borussia Monchengladbach build Borussia Park for about 80m IIRC and holds 55k. Again the Germans had the right idea. Throw up 4 one terraced stand with basic materials, give half the stadium to standing and get the ultras to cover it in banners...:moon:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by IanDangerously
In most countries sure, but not in England!!

Haha yeah good point! I'm half English, half Scottish so I was watching that England vs Scotland game from a neutral point of view and the England fans weren't that good I have to say! Scottish were great, but usually they are nowhere near as good as that.

By the way, if you ever get the opportunity, go to Celtic Park. Best atmosphere I've experienced!

Quick Reply

Latest