The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by elle95
A real intensive driving course is worth it, but lots of driving lessons shoves together isn't. I'm doing a course that is 9-5 Monday yo Friday with 4 1/2 hours driving a day along with theory practice and mock driving tests, the centre arranges all my tests and will provide free lessons if I do not pass my test. I am really confident with the company and the structure of the course. It's also only costing around £800 including tests which is significantly cheaper than traditional lessons. So it's something you should look into, I also know friends who have spent over 12 months learning to drive, and I would ve cautious of driving instructors as they want to get as muchmoney from you as possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What is the name of the company you are with :smile: ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
They're called 5day, haven't done my practical test yet but the theory work esp. For hazard perception was really good and passed both of them easy! I just want time to practisemaneuvers before I book my test with them which they fast track anyway! It has been stressful but considering on Monday I had never driven before and know I'm getting ready for my test I'd say they were a good choice! :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Whatever, how is my comment illogical? but as I said this is young people's issue no patience but WFE! !!!!!!!
Reply 23
I did one of those intensive courses, it was horrible. Even though I knew how to drive, I just needed to learn how to pass the test. The intensive course was a lot of pressure, a lot to be learnt and no time for it to sink in. Also my legs physically hurt after the lesson and the very next day I would have another lesson. Didn't have time for them to at recover.

The day one the practical test, I passed the mock test before the real test but I failed the actual test because I didn't have my instructor screaming at me during the test.

Best way to do it as practice with whoever in your family is over 21 and has been driving for over 3 years. Whilst doing a few driving lessons as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
I'm doing one of those courses at the moment and I have had no prior driving experience. I was going to originally go for doing it within 1-2 weeks as I wanted to get it over and done with, but the company suggested that because I'm avaliable until I go back to uni that I should do it over the course of 1-2 months. I don't regret them advising this AT ALL as I feel had I gone for the 1-2 week course it would have been nowhere near what I needed to get my head around it all, despite it being the same amount of lesson time. It does wear you out, and sometimes it's good to let out any frustrations and relax at the end of the lesson to reflect on things you may have done wrong. I'm on my 12th hour of 30 (as they recommended this was what I'd need from the evaluation lesson). I'm enjoying it so far. I had a particularly overwhelming lesson last week and started to lose it a little bit towards the lesson as it was so much to take in, but I had one today and it went absolutely fine, apart from a few basic errors, it was a great lesson! I'm pretty comfortable where I am, but I really don't know right now how confident I'll feel when my test comes along (19th Sept). I'm doing lessons mostly in sets of 2/hrs, three times a week. Some of my lessons are 3 hours long, and I find myself losing focus towards the end of those. I think it completely depends on what kind of learner you are and how comfortable and confident you feel in a car. :smile:
Original post by lou 22
Whatever, how is my comment illogical? but as I said this is young people's issue no patience but WFE! !!!!!!!

Calm down, crazy lady.
Reply 26
Original post by amyshamblesxx
Calm down, crazy lady.

I was calm whilst writing it just like i am calm writing this one :-) , just sick of people getting knarcky at what i write and others write also, there is no need for people to get serious over peoples opinions its all for people to see others opinions whether they agree or disagree.

Btw- im not a crazy lady thumbs↑ :-) But im still calm
Original post by mariocasas
Are they a quick way to get your license?

i personally think they are an awful idea - going from no liscence to full liscence in a week is NOT teaching you how to drive, you cannot learn to drive in a week.
If a learner isn't allowed on motorways... How do they learn how to drive on them?
Reply 29
My nephews course is £800 and included a day of off road lessons jsut before his birthday, then a week of driving 9-4, plus a theory test in the evening. He passed his theory test and his dirivng school get these short notice priority bookings for practical tests so will have a test about 10 days after his course finishes. if he fails then he gets free lessons with the same schoool until he passes, although I'm not sure if he has to pay for extra tests or not. But the thing is, if his driving instructor isn't very good, then getting free lessons won't be avery good thing if it takes him months. Plus he's starting back at 6th form soon so couldn't continue with it for long anyway.

If you're suited to that kind of learning then it can be worth it. Plus my nephews course is expensive, but it would work out cheaper to do it than standard lessons for some people.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by silverbolt
i personally think they are an awful idea - going from no liscence to full liscence in a week is NOT teaching you how to drive, you cannot learn to drive in a week.

Going from a no licence to a full licence within 40 minutes must be an awful idea too. Of course you can learn within a week. People learn at a different pace an depends how much practice you need.

Fortunately for most people, driving a car isnt rocket science. You realise this after you have passed your test.
Reply 31
Original post by L'Evil Fish
If a learner isn't allowed on motorways... How do they learn how to drive on them?

Motorway lessons after you have passed your test. Its probably the easiest part of driving.

Near my test centre there was a three lane/four lane carriageway (not classed as motorway) which was used a lot to practice similar sort of conditions.
Original post by Henrikh
Motorway lessons after you have passed your test. Its probably the easiest part of driving.

Near my test centre there was a three lane/four lane carriageway (not classed as motorway) which was used a lot to practice similar sort of conditions.

Really? You need extra lessons?:tongue:
Reply 33
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Really? You need extra lessons?:tongue:

Well someone people do. I didnt bother to be honest.
Original post by Henrikh
Well someone people do. I didnt bother to be honest.

I didn't even know they existed!
I am half way through an intensive course and I think its going really well, I've done all the maneuvers and I'm confident, my test is on Thursday and I've got 14 hours left before then which will be just going over everything I've learnt

I think it just depends on your instructor and how quickly you learn.
Original post by Henrikh
Going from a no licence to a full licence within 40 minutes must be an awful idea too. Of course you can learn within a week. People learn at a different pace an depends how much practice you need.

Fortunately for most people, driving a car isnt rocket science. You realise this after you have passed your test.

How can you? Theres a massive difference between knowing how to make the car move and being an accomplished driver - experience teaches you how to drive not a weeks course.

Oh and Ive passed my test (first time) and there are still instances that are not in the non rocket science way of driving.
Reply 37
Original post by silverbolt
How can you? Theres a massive difference between knowing how to make the car move and being an accomplished driver - experience teaches you how to drive not a weeks course.

Oh and Ive passed my test (first time) and there are still instances that are not in the non rocket science way of driving.

So we come full circle. Yes it is experience. DSA figures suggest that it takes an average of 35-40 hours of learning before being ready for a test. That is the sort of number of hours spent on a weekly course.

You seem to ignoring that 1 week intensive course provides with the same experience if not more. Compared to initial weekly lessons you dont spend the time travelling to and from a quiet area wasting valuable driving time. You travel further out as there isnt a rush to get back straightaway.

Experience doesn't diminish if dealt within a week or over 3 months or 6 months.

It's not for everyone. People learn in different ways. It worked for me others not so. Just dont believe it should be written off just because its not the right method for you.
I guess it depends on how best you learn, and how much you can handle in a day. My lessons last for 1.5 hours and I think that's probably my limit, as the lesson's finishing I've normally had enough and wouldn't be able to learn anymore if I kept going. But everyone's different... if some people can handle lots of hours in a day over consecutive days then the intensive course might be suited for them
Is it worth doing if you have failed your test, then left driving for a year, but now want to re try it ? I feel I would pick driving up quite quickly again, and that lots of hours in a week would be great so I get very comfortable in a car

Latest