The Student Room Group

AS Grades and univeristy offers.

Scroll to see replies

last year i got ABD. through severe begging of teacher, i got them to predict me AAB.

i got offers from Birmingham-AAB
Manchester- ABB
Leeds- ABB- firmed
Man met-BBC- insurance
Aston- BBB
because i was scared i would flunk my retakes and A2s I chose Man met as my backup.

anyways, through hard work, I achieved AAA and got into my firm!

this proves that grades at AS dont matter, I applied for chemistry and only because of a good PS and reference as well as good predition was the reason i got all 5 offers.

SO DONT WORRY!
Original post by Aelathehuntress
5 A's! Wow.

Thank! It's only AS though :tongue:
Reply 42
Original post by xxrebeccabexixx
last year i got ABD. through severe begging of teacher, i got them to predict me AAB.

i got offers from Birmingham-AAB
Manchester- ABB
Leeds- ABB- firmed
Man met-BBC- insurance
Aston- BBB
because i was scared i would flunk my retakes and A2s I chose Man met as my backup.

anyways, through hard work, I achieved AAA and got into my firm!

this proves that grades at AS dont matter, I applied for chemistry and only because of a good PS and reference as well as good predition was the reason i got all 5 offers.

SO DONT WORRY!

Feel so much better now 😃 thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I ended up getting ABBBC at AS with two B's only being 2 UMS marks from an A (Grrr!) but i've spoken to my teachers, and they said that i can easily get AAB at the end or even AAA, if ic ontinue to put the effort in. It is annoying after all of that hard work but i suppose seeing one A in History which i thought went really bad made me feel a little better :smile: good luck!!!!
Original post by Zoe_Marie
Hi, I have exactly the same grades as you and all my favourite universities are in that grade range, may I ask what subjects you do, which you're dropping and what you want to study? Sorry for being nosy!

Ah that's good, it's good that there's somebody else in the same situation so I could get better informed as well.

Russian - A (no, I am not russian)
ICT - A
Maths - B
Gov & Politics - C
Business Studies C

I am quite sure that I might be able to get A* in Russian and ICT and raise Maths to an A. However, I am not sure about the subjects where I have 2 Cs, should I leave them like that? I am planning to study a mix between IT and something else such as Management. Unis where I'd like to apply UCL, KCL, Edinburgh or St. Andrews from Scotland and rest somewhere in England.

How about you, what subjects are you doing and what are you planning to study?
I think you shouldn't be worried about it. just convince your tutors to give you a good set of predicted grades and you will be fine. I got BBBC and aiming for at least one A and the rest B's.
Reply 46
Original post by Blackfyre
Ah that's good, it's good that there's somebody else in the same situation so I could get better informed as well.

Russian - A (no, I am not russian)
ICT - A
Maths - B
Gov & Politics - C
Business Studies C

I am quite sure that I might be able to get A* in Russian and ICT and raise Maths to an A. However, I am not sure about the subjects where I have 2 Cs, should I leave them like that? I am planning to study a mix between IT and something else such as Management. Unis where I'd like to apply UCL, KCL, Edinburgh or St. Andrews from Scotland and rest somewhere in England.

How about you, what subjects are you doing and what are you planning to study?

My results-
Maths- A
Biology- A
Physics- B
Chemistry- C
French- C

I should think I'll be able to get As in maths and physics, I'm stupidly dropping biology, but I'm not sure whether to drop one of the Cs as well.

I'm applying to do Engineering at Sheffield, Nottingham, Exeter, Cardiff and Southampton, I think.
if you're retaking a modules in subjects,will that affect your predicted grades,i got BCD in the AS level subjects i'm continuing to A2.I'm resitting 1 in biology,1 in chemistry and 2 in maths,i'm thinking of an ABC prediction,which i wouldn't mind applying to universities with,is that a sensible thought ?
Reply 48
Original post by SirVeillance
I was just wondering, how important are your AS Level results to your uni application.
Most unis I'm looking at ask for AAB-ABB, but in my AS levels this year I got BBCC (first attempt.) How likely am I to get offers from these unis and how do I make my application good to get the offers? :confused:

My brother got BCCD at AS and he got an AAB offer from UCL after being predicted ABB. But guess what? He got A*AA by the end of his A-Level studies so he got into UCL even after his AS performance :smile: You see? He got an offer from UCL despite getting BCCD at AS. UCL is one of the top universities in the UK and in the world so we were very relieved when they decided to offer him a place. It is possible, so don't think that they will judge you ONLY based on your AS grades. They will look at how well you did at GCSE (to see your trends), then at AS, then they will look at your predicted grades, read your personal statement and reference, THEN they will make a decision.

So long as you can convince them that you are good enough to study at their institutions (predicted grades, personal statement and reference are usually the indicators of a "good candidate") then they may give you the benefit of the doubt even if you have "appalling" AS results and they may well challenge you to get the required grades to get into their universities. They are not doing any harm to themselves by offering you a place if they are convinced that you have the potential to get into their universities by improving at A2.

Don't worry! You'll be fine if you work harder next year. Remember, you did better than my brother at AS and he ended up at UCL! My brother worked hard at AS but still got bad grades, and the same might have happened to you. But something that he noticed and that you will notice is that AS is a piece of cake compared to A2, so once you start A2, your brain will mature a lot more and you will find a lot of the more difficult A2 stuff quite straight forward ONLY if you put in the time and effort. Then you will look back at AS and think, "How on Earth did I get these grades at such easy subjects?"

You WILL do better at A2 regardless of whether you get offers from good universities or not IF you work hard. Worst case scenario, you don't get offers but end up with A*s and As, then either go into clearing or defer your entry (by reapplying the following year) to get into the top universities. Don't feel scared or intimidated. I once was and it all worked out for me (and same to my brother)!

Good luck, and I hope it all works out for you! :smile:
Original post by Zoe_Marie
My results-
Maths- A
Biology- A
Physics- B
Chemistry- C
French- C

I should think I'll be able to get As in maths and physics, I'm stupidly dropping biology, but I'm not sure whether to drop one of the Cs as well.

I'm applying to do Engineering at Sheffield, Nottingham, Exeter, Cardiff and Southampton, I think.

Are your AS results aggregated?

What I am going to do is keep Russian, ICT, Maths - I am quite sure that I can ace an A in each one of them. I'll make it look like I didn't do Business Studies cause my AS results aren't aggregated yet and it will look like I had AABC in AS. So, in Upper Sixth I will do A2 Russian, ICT, Maths and AS Politics.
Hey guys. I got ABCD at AS Level and I was wondering if I'll be able to be predicted AAB-ABB and getting into Uni?
A= History
B= English Lit
C= Art
D= Biology.
(edited 10 years ago)
I was just wondering, how important are your AS Level results to your uni application.
Most unis I'm looking at ask for AAB-ABB, but in my AS levels this year I got BBCC (first attempt.) How likely am I to get offers from these unis and how do I make my application good to get the offers? :confused:

You' should be fine. Just make sure you're predicted AAB and work your socks off
Reply 52
Original post by DenchKing1832
You' should be fine. Just make sure you're predicted AAB and work your socks off

What would you say is the best way to get myself AAB predicted? Like how do I approach my teachers and would did you say?
What would you say is the best way to get myself AAB predicted? Like how do I approach my teachers and would did you say?

It seems a bit of a stretch so you will have to grovel a bit but still be convincing. Volunteer for extra work, essays and maybe past papers and see if you can get them marked, if you get parts of homework wrong, promise you will re-do it to prove you are serious. If you carry on the same as you are doing now you will likely finish up with similar A2 results so its going to take the extra effort to improve by a grade in every subject, but very doable with hard work. Best of luck you obviously want to do well.
Reply 54

It's a bit of an exercise in diplomacy aha

First wait and see what they predict you. Then if its not what you want just approach each of them individually and say you think your prediction's a little on the low side and that you'd like to arrange a time to have a chat about it. Then spend a couple of minutes preparing before you see them - make sure you know how far your UMS is from the grade you want to be predicted. If it's close then emphasise that. If not maybe volunteer yourself for a resist. Also, if there's coursework this year and there wasn't last, then add that coursework's one of your strengths (let's face it people tend to do better in course work). Not suggesting there is, but if there's a reason you could've done better last year (I.e you hardly did any homework/prep, bunked half the lessons or spent half the year outside the class getting shouted at), then acknowledge the issue and promise you'll resolve it this year. Other than that just emphasise how prepared you are to work hard and revise this year, how committed you are and how important the subject is to you (even if you hate the subject!)

If that fails go talk to your head of sixth form and repeat the grovelling... last year ours overrode some predicted grades even when the subject tutor right out refused to change it. Particularly for one person that went and had a cry in his office... Generally you can get predicted 1 grade above your AS result so you should be ok, but good luck and work on your sad puppy eyes :smile:
Reply 55
Original post by AJW 12394
It's a bit of an exercise in diplomacy aha

First wait and see what they predict you. Then if its not what you want just approach each of them individually and say you think your prediction's a little on the low side and that you'd like to arrange a time to have a chat about it. Then spend a couple of minutes preparing before you see them - make sure you know how far your UMS is from the grade you want to be predicted. If it's close then emphasise that. If not maybe volunteer yourself for a resist. Also, if there's coursework this year and there wasn't last, then add that coursework's one of your strengths (let's face it people tend to do better in course work). Not suggesting there is, but if there's a reason you could've done better last year (I.e you hardly did any homework/prep, bunked half the lessons or spent half the year outside the class getting shouted at), then acknowledge the issue and promise you'll resolve it this year. Other than that just emphasise how prepared you are to work hard and revise this year, how committed you are and how important the subject is to you (even if you hate the subject!)

If that fails go talk to your head of sixth form and repeat the grovelling... last year ours overrode some predicted grades even when the subject tutor right out refused to change it. Particularly for one person that went and had a cry in his office... Generally you can get predicted 1 grade above your AS result so you should be ok, but good luck and work on your sad puppy eyes :smile:

Haha, okay thank you! Working on those puppy eyes already :wink:
Do you know how long into A2 it is before you get your predicted grades?
Reply 56
Does anyone know specifically which universities look more at you academically and which ones look more at the personal statement and reference.
Also, when universities put their requirements as AAA for example, do they ever make lower offers or literally never?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 57
at the end of the day, it really depends on the uni and the course and competitive they are. Some universities receive so many applicants with majority of As achieved at AS level that they have to choose between them ,so those who didn't achieve As will be a long way down the list. But there are some other conditions, such as people from state schools or deprived neighbourhoods that they are obliged to accept or those with mitigating circumstances.
Reply 58
Haha, okay thank you! Working on those puppy eyes already :wink:
Do you know how long into A2 it is before you get your predicted grades?

Ermm... Good question! We got them pretty early (around now) to allow for the Oxbridge, medicine and dentistry deadline in October, but I'd expect you'd hear by the start of November at the latest. Maybe ask your tutor and say you'd like to know so you know what kind of unis to visit/aim for

And yeah, work on the puppy eyes and if they don't work then switch to puss in boots :wink:

Does anyone know specifically which universities look more at you academically and which ones look more at the personal statement and reference.
Also, when universities put their requirements as AAA for example, do they ever make lower offers or literally never?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Any particular unis? And sometimes unis give lower offers than their standard requirement. For example, I got an offer of BBB from one AAB uni. I'd say that's pretty rare though and's usually to try and entice students who'd easily get the standard offer in the first place and are using the uni as a back up. So I'd say it's even rarer with AAA unis.

On the other hand I've heard of a few unis sticking to their standard offer then letting people who miss it by a grade or 2 in on results day, so the offer grade isn't necessarily the minimum they'd accept. Although it's far less risky to get the offer in the first place!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 59
Original post by AJW 12394
Ermm... Good question! We got them pretty early (around now) to allow for the Oxbridge, medicine and dentistry deadline in October, but I'd expect you'd hear by the start of November at the latest. Maybe ask your tutor and say you'd like to know so you know what kind of unis to visit/aim for

And yeah, work on the puppy eyes and if they don't work then switch to puss in boots :wink:

Any particular unis? And sometimes unis give lower offers than their standard requirement. For example, I got an offer of BBB from one AAB uni. I'd say that's pretty rare though and's usually to try and entice students who'd easily get the standard offer in the first place and are using the uni as a back up. So I'd say it's even rarer with AAA unis.

On the other hand I've heard of a few unis sticking to their standard offer then letting people who miss it by a grade or 2 in on results day, so the offer grade isn't necessarily the minimum they'd accept. Although it's far less risky to get the offer in the first place!

I'm thinking of applying to Newcastle, Swansea, Heriot Watt and Lancaster for Chemical Engineering. I really can't decide on a fifth one! Birmingham looks good, but it's quite highly academically driven, and I don't think I'd be even considered with BBCC at AS Level for a course asking for AAA. I'd be lucky to get an AAB-ABB offer from Newcastle. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending