The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4720
Original post by Tibbz2
All pretty simple so far, but I've heard after Unit 1 is the real difficulty increase

IN chemistry i had a look at the exams and the difficulty definitely rises alot :/
Reply 4721
Original post by Red Fox
Not so much an entrance exams but I have tests coming up and if you do badly they will review your place:tongue:

Ahhh i guess that's similar enough :lol:
Original post by techno836
Added ... and I'd definitely drop french ;D

Thank you! Arghh, I would but Spanish is a much bigger group and I think I'd do better overall with a smaller one - when you're learning languages you want it to be close to a one-to-one teaching thing :/
Reply 4723
Original post by Ninjasrule
Thank you! Arghh, I would but Spanish is a much bigger group and I think I'd do better overall with a smaller one - when you're learning languages you want it to be close to a one-to-one teaching thing :/

Yes i definitely agree with you, i prefer it like for everything, in that case go with french :yep: although Spanish is much better ;D
Reply 4724
IN chemistry i had a look at the exams and the difficulty definitely rises alot :/

Which is why I'm dropping it before it gets to A2! :eek:
Yes i definitely agree with you, i prefer it like for everything, in that case go with french :yep: although Spanish is much better ;D

Hehe, I wish it was a small group - I agree with the fact that Spanish is much better! More useful too IMO
Original post by Choppie
Good luck to all of you in your GCSE results! :biggrin:

One word of advice for Year 12/Lower Sixth - Do not waste it, thinking you'll be able to do everything in Year 13/Upper Sixth. Always meet deadlines, and become friendly with your teachers - then if something out of your control does go wrong, it is much easier to rectify, even if it does mean you have to redo something in Year 13/Upper Sixth.

And don't forget to enjoy yourselves! College is a great part of life, even with the stress you will come across. Remember that grades aren't everything - being a nice person and being organised is much more important.

Also, for those wondering what sort of stationary you need for Lower Sixth - pens, pencils, and rulers go without saying. Even in an essay subject, you may want to do some rough work with pencils, or draw something which helps you remember when it comes to revision. If you're taking physics or maths, you will be needing a scientific calculator (for maths, graphical ones can help - especially on the MEI exam board. They are expensive, however (£50ish), so try and get one second-hand).

In general for all subjects, you will want a lever-arch folder for each subject to keep at home. Have some plastic wallets to separate modules instead of paper file dividers - the holes in the paper ones will become destroyed after some use (eg. For maths, I have a plastic wallet with C1 on the front, then behind that plastic wallet, I have more for each topic in C1. A single plastic wallet should be able to hold all work on a single topic within a module). Next, you will want a ring-binder or other sort of (small) folder just to carry around with you at college - especially if you are working on the same piece of paper for several days at a time.

Lastly - and perhaps the most important with the exception of pens, pencils and a ruler - paper. You will not be given paper in college unless a friend is able to lend you some. Try not to go for the paper pads which have glued spines, but rather those that are ring-binded (pukka pads or Oxford paper is very good indeed). As for the quality of paper - you will probably want 70gsm or more for it to not decintergrate within 10 minutes of use (obviously, the higher the quality, the more costly it is). Make sure you keep stocked on paper - you will get through much more than you think.

On the folders front, my collage want us to have a ring binder for each subject at home and then a smaller folder for each subject (and teacher for chemistry) to carry around at school. Is this completely ridiculous or normal, and how would you do it if you were working like that?
Reply 4727
Original post by Tibbz2
Which is why I'm dropping it before it gets to A2! :eek:

:O no way .... A2 apparently just disproves all you learnt at AS :lol:

Original post by Ninjasrule
Hehe, I wish it was a small group - I agree with the fact that Spanish is much better! More useful too IMO

Yeah Spanish is awesome, which is why it always confused me why french is the international language for many things :confused: when more countries speak English or Spanish :confused:
Reply 4728
Anyone reasonably good at maths- if possible can you answer this thread?
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2460904
Thank you!:smile:
Reply 4729

Another reason for me to drop it then! :lol:

I'm really not all that interested in Chemistry, the AS course looks a lot more interesting than A2 though, so I'm dropping it after a year!
Original post by Mr.Nor
Went to the library last period to do some work......year 9s loudly come in 10 minutes later oh

Advantage of being in sixth form :smug:

Posted from TSR for iPhone
Going to take a while to get used to getting home at 5:15 every day :work:

Yeah Spanish is awesome, which is why it always confused me why french is the international language for many things :confused: when more countries speak English or Spanish :confused:

Well, I prefer French to Spanish. I still love Spanish but French has much more flair and class about it. I think French is more an international language because a lot of the Spanish speaking countries are quite poor and don't really have much of an economic status. Plus, France itself is 'superior' to Spain, it has a stronger economy, more business, higher population and a bigger tourist industry. Spain itself isn't that valuable unless you consider Mexico, Argentina etc. who all are growing countries with potential. So yeah, on a American scale, Spanish is incredibly useful... but in Europe/Africa/Asia you're best off sticking with French and perhaps Russian or German too.
Original post by MattFletcher
hahaha I can imagine they aren't!

I missed my stop this morning, so I had to walk in the rain back to the school :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4734
Original post by serebro
Well, I prefer French to Spanish. I still love Spanish but French has much more flair and class about it. I think French is more an international language because a lot of the Spanish speaking countries are quite poor and don't really have much of an economic status. Plus, France itself is 'superior' to Spain, it has a stronger economy, more business, higher population and a bigger tourist industry. Spain itself isn't that valuable unless you consider Mexico, Argentina etc. who all are growing countries with potential. So yeah, on a American scale, Spanish is incredibly useful... but in Europe/Africa/Asia you're best off sticking with French and perhaps Russian or German too.

i guess french sounds more posh :tongue:but i prefer spanish :h:

ahh thanks for thata, makes more sense now :h:
Reply 4735
Original post by Tibbz2
Another reason for me to drop it then! :lol:

I'm really not all that interested in Chemistry, the AS course looks a lot more interesting than A2 though, so I'm dropping it after a year!

I love chemistry and Biology I'll be doing both to A2 :love: plus i need them for medicine :lol: I'm aiming to get an A* in Maths and at least chemistry or biology :yep:
Reply 4736
Original post by MattFletcher
Advantage of being in sixth form :smug:

It was me and 2 other people and we were in stitches at some of the stuff they were saying tbh
Reply 4737
Original post by Mr.Nor
It was me and 2 other people and we were in stitches at some of the stuff they were saying tbh

I get 1 free a week so i don't even get time to go in the library :frown:
Reply 4738
I get 1 free a week so i don't even get time to go in the library :frown:

I get 10 a week hehe
Reply 4739
After the first day I've already decided to drop a subject... Oops.

Latest