The Student Room Group

Summer Camp in America 2014?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bazingapunk
Ok so I had a call from the camp America office in London yesterday asking me whether I would change to the counsellor programme because I'm not going to university but doing an a level equivalent at college. So annoyed now,I've never worked with kids and I don't need that type of experience for what I want to do in the future. Help:frown:

Why have they asked you to do that? Are you in full time education, I didn't think you had to be at university I'm not and I'm wanting to be support staff. I got told that is fine? I have NO experience with kids either...
I'm seriously considering working at a summer camp in the USA next summer. I have experience of working with kids at summer camps in the UK, so hopefully that would give me a good chance of getting a placement. I've always dreamed of going to the USA and this sounds like a perfect opportunity for me :biggrin:. I've had a look at the websites of Camp America and another one (can't remember the name right now), though I've still got to decide which the best company would be for me to apply through. I'll have a proper read through this thread later to check out opinions and advice :smile:
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
I'm seriously considering working at a summer camp in the USA next summer. I have experience of working with kids at summer camps in the UK, so hopefully that would give me a good chance of getting a placement. I've always dreamed of going to the USA and this sounds like a perfect opportunity for me :biggrin:. I've had a look at the websites of Camp America and another one (can't remember the name right now), though I've still got to decide which the best company would be for me to apply through. I'll have a proper read through this thread later to check out opinions and advice :smile:

I have hardly had any experience working with children and therefore I want to do support role and get experience then maybe another time go and be a Councillor, which company you thinking of going with?
Original post by daniellef116
I have hardly had any experience working with children and therefore I want to do support role and get experience then maybe another time go and be a Councillor, which company you thinking of going with?

I've been looking at Camp America and CCUSA, as well as also Americamp, the latter of which is a newer company that seem to have low costs and higher wages compared to other companies, but flights aren't included. I'm just gonna spend as much time as possible doing my research and trying to see what each company offers, though I'm so indecisive so the choice is a bit overwhelming, haha.
I've been looking at Camp America and CCUSA, as well as also Americamp, the latter of which is a newer company that seem to have low costs and higher wages compared to other companies, but flights aren't included. I'm just gonna spend as much time as possible doing my research and trying to see what each company offers, though I'm so indecisive so the choice is a bit overwhelming, haha.

Yeah it is really hard to choose.. I'm really confused haha, I was thinking of Americamp since you do have to pay for your flight but you get more money and since the flights will cost about £450 your still saving money since you only pay Americamp £199 I'm still not sure what to do?? And you can choose to go to the nearest airport to your camp so don't have to make your own way there from New York let me know what you decide?? :smile:
Yeah same I was told it was fine and somewher on the camp America website does it say only university students,but if you go on the internet and type in j1 visa it talks about university! I'm confused. They still haven't got back to me yet, and yeah I do 16 hours of college a week so I'd say full time! I really wanna do the support staff as I can't see myself working with kids 24 hours a day x
Reply 86
I was going to put as my main skill horse riding and I work in a riding school where I have to help with the rides and stuff so do you think I could put this as informal teaching experience as I don't actually have any qualifications in it or just say I don't have any???
Reply 87
Yeah same I was told it was fine and somewher on the camp America website does it say only university students,but if you go on the internet and type in j1 visa it talks about university! I'm confused. They still haven't got back to me yet, and yeah I do 16 hours of college a week so I'd say full time! I really wanna do the support staff as I can't see myself working with kids 24 hours a day x

I emailed camp america about whether you had to be a student because I'm on a gap year and for the counseller role you don't have to be a student its only for the camp power roles that you do.
Yeah it is really hard to choose.. I'm really confused haha, I was thinking of Americamp since you do have to pay for your flight but you get more money and since the flights will cost about £450 your still saving money since you only pay Americamp £199 I'm still not sure what to do?? And you can choose to go to the nearest airport to your camp so don't have to make your own way there from New York let me know what you decide?? :smile:

Well, on twitter, Americamp has about 20,000 followers, Camp America has about 12,000 and CCUSA has about 2,000, so I guess that's one indication as to the popularity of each. I'm gonna keep looking around at reviews, as it's important to see unbiased views from people who have gotten jobs from these companies. I will let you know what I eventually decide. I'll probably give myself a few weeks to decide for now, but don't want to leave it too late as it might be harder to get placed later on.

Original post by beccac94
I emailed camp america about whether you had to be a student because I'm on a gap year and for the counseller role you don't have to be a student its only for the camp power roles that you do.

Yeah, I don't understand why only uni students and grads are allowed to do support staff roles - they're not exactly jobs that require a high academic knowledge, are they? I do have experience working on summer camps in the UK and I don't particularly mind working with kids, but as a non-student, I would have appreciated having more choice.
Ok so I had a call from the camp America office in London yesterday asking me whether I would change to the counsellor programme because I'm not going to university but doing an a level equivalent at college. So annoyed now,I've never worked with kids and I don't need that type of experience for what I want to do in the future. Help:frown:

I've emailed Americamp and ccusa and they both said been a full time college student was fine? I'm so confused what are you going to do now? I don't think I'd suit the role of a councillor but would love the opportunity to go are you thinking of going to uni??
Well, on twitter, Americamp has about 20,000 followers, Camp America has about 12,000 and CCUSA has about 2,000, so I guess that's one indication as to the popularity of each. I'm gonna keep looking around at reviews, as it's important to see unbiased views from people who have gotten jobs from these companies. I will let you know what I eventually decide. I'll probably give myself a few weeks to decide for now, but don't want to leave it too late as it might be harder to get placed later on.

Yeah, I don't understand why only uni students and grads are allowed to do support staff roles - they're not exactly jobs that require a high academic knowledge, are they? I do have experience working on summer camps in the UK and I don't particularly mind working with kids, but as a non-student, I would have appreciated having more choice.

Yeah I went on the twitter followers plus Americamp are verified and how much experience have you had with hourse riding
Yeah I went on the twitter followers plus Americamp are verified and how much experience have you had with hourse riding

Are you asking me? I don't think I've ever mounted a horse in my life :lol:. Rode a pony once when I was little though. Or are you asking beccac94?

But yeah, does that mean you're picking Americamp then?
Reply 92

I assumed the horse riding bit was aimed at me, well I've been riding for the last 11-12 years and can do all the bizz like jumping and all that. I've worked in several riding schools being helpers and things like that, the job I do now is technically a helper but I get paid and I help the children on the rides, making them feel safe chatting to them, in the past I've helped them by telling them to kick their legs to get them moving and things like that and on occasions helping children with disabilities etc.
Thi s is in reply to both girls who replied to my comment. Yeah same I don't think it is very fair that it's only uni students,I have tonnes of experience in cooking and that is what I want to do the most not look after kids,I don't need that experience. So I'm
thinking of pulling out now and just going travelling. Numerical and maybe see if there are any jobs open in restaurants maybe.
And also being a chef/baker isn't something you can do anyt university,only a culinary arts school and it's very very inexpensi! £14,000 for a year in America or Paris! Really disappointed I wasn't told earlier that I wouldn't ad eligible for the visa.
Reply 94
Thi s is in reply to both girls who replied to my comment. Yeah same I don't think it is very fair that it's only uni students,I have tonnes of experience in cooking and that is what I want to do the most not look after kids,I don't need that experience. So I'm
thinking of pulling out now and just going travelling. Numerical and maybe see if there are any jobs open in restaurants maybe.
And also being a chef/baker isn't something you can do anyt university,only a culinary arts school and it's very very inexpensi! £14,000 for a year in America or Paris! Really disappointed I wasn't told earlier that I wouldn't ad eligible for the visa.

Oh no I'm sorry to hear about that, hope you enjoy whatever you decide to do though :smile:

Also has anyone written their personal essay for camp america yet??? I honestly don't know what to write about

Ohhh nooo I've just looked at interviewers and they're all miles away from me, I live in Liverpool but the closest ones are in manchester and I don't know which one would be closest to me :'(
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by beccac94
Oh no I'm sorry to hear about that, hope you enjoy whatever you decide to do though :smile:

Also has anyone written their personal essay for camp america yet??? I honestly don't know what to write about

Ohhh nooo I've just looked at interviewers and they're all miles away from me, I live in Liverpool but the closest ones are in manchester and I don't know which one would be closest to me :'(

DO AMERICAMP! you can do your interview over skype! it's the same as me because I live in Leeds and there is no interviewers there either, what have you decided to do?
Reply 96
DO AMERICAMP! you can do your interview over skype! it's the same as me because I live in Leeds and there is no interviewers there either, what have you decided to do?

I was thinking about Americamp but in the end I decided on camp america and there seems to be loads of interviewers in camp america that do leeds, I'm just going to have to travel to manchester cause I've done most of the application. Its not really that far, I mean its just one train journey its just the fact that I don't know it very well so I hope they can give me some directions. :/
Reply 97
I really want to work in America during nexy summer too, and Camp America seems like the affordable option at the moment. Looking at all these websites is making my head spin!
My Interview is at 8pm today!!! SO EXCITED! any tips??
Reply 99
Does anyone know how competitive Camp America is??? I've just been told its actually really competitive and hard to get onto...

Quick Reply

Latest