The Student Room Group

The Biology AS-level Thread

Scroll to see replies

Hello! I'm doing Chemistry ocr and Biology ocr so you will all be seeing a lot of me :smile:
Reply 61
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Meh, I'm not so certain. I'm not really sure what I'd consider instead, perhaps just biology on its own? I'll have to look into it a bit more this year.

Oh hey, it's a small world/forum! :tongue:

I've only had one lesson so far but I have another on Wednesday. So far we've started on cell structure, what about you? :smile:

It is. We had a double today, and another double tomorrow. Doing microscopy stuff, and then onto cell structure soon me thinks. :smile:
Reply 62
Original post by StephenNaulls
For your Physics one:

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIVaddFslWk1TFoKNrvh99Q

He's amazing. Worship him!! :biggrin:

Original post by ABC05
It is. We had a double today, and another double tomorrow. Doing microscopy stuff, and then onto cell structure soon me thinks. :smile:

Ahh yeah, that comes straight afterwards :yep: . I think my teacher skipped a couple of pages because we're expected to do some reading ahead :redface:
I'm on OCR, good luck everyone, remember that hard work will pay off :smile:
Reply 65
As someone who has done AS biology i will say that it is really hard work and not as simple as you may think, i did the OCR course and thought that i would be fine as i had a C at GCSE in it. i was wrong, as much as i tried i couldnt understand everything and it distracted from my other subjects. the point i am making is only do it if you had a B or above at GCSE even if you are willing to work for it.
Reply 66
Original post by Hh_97
Does anyone have any tips on how to get started and keeping up with the work? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Make sure you learn the topic, not just memorise it (for now), I've been doing all my homework on weekdays, so when the weekend comes I have time to re write notes and consolidate what I learnt over the past week.

Other than that just make sure you don't leave thins to the last minute. :smile:
Reply 67
Thanks for the thread ! :smile: After reading all the posts I feel really late, my lessons start officially on Thursday &.. I haven't even gotten my timetable yet! I just want to start already -_-
Reply 68
Original post by cleveradam
What exam board are you doing?????
Could you give us (the current Year 12's) advice on where you went wrong and what mistakes we shouldn't do?
Thanks.

Anyone else doing OCR exam board for all 3 sciences?

For Biology I'm doing Edexcel
Chemistry I'm doing OCR Salters.

I got a D in Biology - Here's things you shouldn't do
What I did wrong was:
-Wasted my free lessons watching Naruto
-Never reviewed work after every lesson
-Didn't practice past papers until the last minute
-I didn't like the classrooms I was in so I couldn't learn properly. I also had two different teachers for the same subject who had different teaching methods which confused me.
- This year, because I'm retaking, I've already started revising and reviewing my AS topics so I don't feel the stress.
- For anyone who is doing Edexcel Biology:
-When doing the issue report (you'll know what it is soon enough), research into your topic, find books and follow the checklist! (I got a B - 2 marks away from an A)
-The mark scheme isn't too speciifc, so you're safe! But practice exam papers and do a LOT of graph questions. They're the hardest

- But you'll get the hang of it. I just hope I do well this time. I've changed my ways :biggrin:
Reply 69
great stuff
Reply 70
Original post by techno836
Okay :biggrin: i'll Make them tomorrow after school and after any homework i get :rolleyes: :biggrin:

I'll jsut Create an A2 thread no worries! :biggrin:
Reply 71
Original post by DianaOj
Thanks for the thread ! :smile: After reading all the posts I feel really late, my lessons start officially on Thursday &.. I haven't even gotten my timetable yet! I just want to start already -_-

ahh yes :lol: but with our posts you can probably guess what you'll be leaning :lol:

Original post by SyedaK
For Biology I'm doing Edexcel
Chemistry I'm doing OCR Salters.

I got a D in Biology - Here's things you shouldn't do
What I did wrong was:
-Wasted my free lessons watching Naruto
-Never reviewed work after every lesson
-Didn't practice past papers until the last minute
-I didn't like the classrooms I was in so I couldn't learn properly. I also had two different teachers for the same subject who had different teaching methods which confused me.
- This year, because I'm retaking, I've already started revising and reviewing my AS topics so I don't feel the stress.
- For anyone who is doing Edexcel Biology:
-When doing the issue report (you'll know what it is soon enough), research into your topic, find books and follow the checklist! (I got a B - 2 marks away from an A)
-The mark scheme isn't too speciifc, so you're safe! But practice exam papers and do a LOT of graph questions. They're the hardest

- But you'll get the hang of it. I just hope I do well this time. I've changed my ways :biggrin:

^ many people realise that after the January exams, sadly our year won't have that luxury so i must feel sorry for those who would normally need that kick in the butt :/
Reply 72
Original post by SyedaK
I'll jsut Create an A2 thread no worries! :biggrin:

Yeah that's a good idea i'm not sure how the year 13's would like me stepping into their territory ;D I'll definitely do the other 2 AS ones though :biggrin:
Reply 73
ahh yes :lol: but with our posts you can probably guess what you'll be leaning :lol:

^ many people realise that after the January exams, sadly our year won't have that luxury so i must feel sorry for those who would normally need that kick in the butt :/

Yeah, that's true! That's why I'm sharpening my sword for when I see Michael Gove walking about. Then I'll strike!
He's a very stupid man IMO for changing it. It stops students from getting the push they need to do better!
Reply 74
Original post by SyedaK
Yeah, that's true! That's why I'm sharpening my sword for when I see Michael Gove walking about. Then I'll strike!
He's a very stupid man IMO for changing it. It stops students from getting the push they need to do better!

I know :sigh: ... but we must live with it :frown: ... why couldn't he just impose a 1 unit 1 resit rule per year per subject (if that makes sense :lol: ) :/
Reply 75
Original post by pathosL
great stuff

Hello :wavey: what have you done in your starting lessons :holmes:
Reply 76

I know :sigh: ... but we must live with it :frown: ... why couldn't he just impose a 1 unit 1 resit rule per year per subject (if that makes sense :lol: ) :/

Ikr!
In my sixth form, year 12 and year 13 are doing mock January exams adn we'll have to pretend it's like the real exams which should give the year 12's some sort of motivation. That's the best we can do really :frown:
Reply 77
Original post by SyedaK

Ikr!
In my sixth form, year 12 and year 13 are doing mock January exams adn we'll have to pretend it's like the real exams which should give the year 12's some sort of motivation. That's the best we can do really :frown:

I think anybody could do Gove's job better than Gove :rolleyes: :lol: and so are mine :frown: ...it's not really the same though is it :/
Reply 78

Ikr!

I think anybody could do Gove's job better than Gove :rolleyes: :lol: and so are mine :frown: ...it's not really the same though is it :/

Agreed. We all know it's fake. Well I wish you guys the best anyway :smile:
Reply 79
I'm doing Edexcel Biology and Chemistry. Thing is I think I may have some dodgy teachers for biology :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending