The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fas
my PS is really coming along nicely now ! managed to get it under 4000 characters for the first time , and it now actually reads like a decent-ish Economics PS. hows everyone else's going ?

*Needs to start*
*Before school rages at me*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jkizer
When referencing an epq or a project in the personal statement, what should you write after telling the reader what you investigated?

ive basically mentioned two differing views that two of my Books had ( books i used to research said EPQ ) - then mentioned which view i support and why ( evidence of critical analysis ) but yea as the other poster said also mention your findings :tongue: just a quick summary should be fine
Original post by Giant
Finished mine, getting a few friends and teachers to look over it and then I'll send it off within the next week or two hopefully

aye , i dunno whether ive " finished " mine per say - ive completed 5 or 6 drafts of it ( tbh though like 3 of those drafts was just me trying to cut down the character count from 6000 to 4000 lol ) and got em checked by teachers - so this latest draft i'm hoping is close to the finished product , but again who knows.

Yeah same , hoping to get my application sent off within this month really , i hope my referee doesn't **** about and not do my reference in time haha
Original post by blazekid75
*Needs to start*
*Before school rages at me*

Posted from TSR Mobile

haha yeah might be a good idea :tongue:
Original post by Bloxorus
It would probably be easier to list the ones that don't require maths. But seriously, I think there are only a couple in the top 20 that don't, almost everywhere requires it and even the places that don't still highly recommend you have it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exeter and Nottingham for example... It seems as if the top 5 prefer further maths (which I'm doing) but I'm finding it difficult to find a slightly less competitive option.
Original post by Anonymous1717
Exeter and Nottingham for example... It seems as if the top 5 prefer further maths (which I'm doing) but I'm finding it difficult to find a slightly less competitive option.

Sorry I thought that you weren't doing maths. If you're doing further maths then I don't really understand the problem, you can apply anywhere you like basically.
is there any advantage to applying to your chosen Uni's on October 16th , rather than earlier ? i heard that apparently some Uni's such as Durham don't really appreciate it if you apply before October 15th as that could mean you have applied to Oxbridge aswell
Original post by Fas
is there any advantage to applying to your chosen Uni's on October 16th , rather than earlier ? i heard that apparently some Uni's such as Durham don't really appreciate it if you apply before October 15th as that could mean you have applied to Oxbridge aswell

Probably not, they know some people apply before Oct 15 and don't apply to Oxbridge. They wouldn't, well they shouldn't, assume you would have.
Original post by NedStark
Probably not, they know some people apply before Oct 15 and don't apply to Oxbridge. They wouldn't, well they shouldn't, assume you would have.

My College Tutor said that they will be sending our UCAS forms off Late September so we really need to know what we want to do at University and what Universities we want to go to by the end of this academic year-I'm in Year 12 by the way so I hope this helps and not everyone in my College will be applying for oxbridge. Although, I think she might have been talking about just the High Achievers Group but the point still stands.
Original post by Fas

Is there anything wrong with this because I was planning to apply to Warwick,Durham,Northumbria,Newcastle and Cambridge for Maths in Year 13:confused:
I know you aren't allowed to apply to both Oxford and Cambridge but I didn't know there would be a problem with Durham and Oxbridge:confused:
Original post by Dalek1099
Is there anything wrong with this because I was planning to apply to Warwick,Durham,Northumbria,Newcastle and Cambridge for Maths in Year 13:confused:
I know you aren't allowed to apply to both Oxford and Cambridge but I didn't know there would be a problem with Durham and Oxbridge:confused:

i didn't either but apparently Durham tends to have a fairly large bias against students who apply to Oxford or Cambridge , as they've got that chip-on-the-shoulder attitude and to them that means you don't consider Durham a serious Uni.

Normally i'd pass that as complete bull**** but my head of year told me that hahaha , and he's generally very good with UCAS Applications and the lot. i still think its a load of crap , but since im not applying to oxbridge it might be wiser to apply straight after the oxbridge deadline to show them that your considering them as a serious Uni.
Original post by NedStark

true , i think its rubbish anyway to be honest haha.

hows your application coming along ?
Reply 912
Teacher is likely to predict me an A* at economics even though i was not near the norm 90% of 180/200 UMS o.O
(I got 172)

I have officially decided that hes nuts.
Original post by Jkizer
Teacher is likely to predict me an A* at economics even though i was not near the norm 90% of 180/200 UMS o.O
(I got 172)

That's a bit weird. My friend got 180 UMS and our teacher said he was borderline between an A* or an A, so my friend had to convince him to go with an A*
Reply 914
Original post by robin1125
That's a bit weird. My friend got 180 UMS and our teacher said he was borderline between an A* or an A, so my friend had to convince him to go with an A*

Yeah i don't think the teacher is a proper professional when it comes with grades haha xD

Basically if you do the essays and get good marks he will predict you high (Even though his marking is atrocious)
Original post by Fas
i didn't either but apparently Durham tends to have a fairly large bias against students who apply to Oxford or Cambridge , as they've got that chip-on-the-shoulder attitude and to them that means you don't consider Durham a serious Uni.

Normally i'd pass that as complete bull**** but my head of year told me that hahaha , and he's generally very good with UCAS Applications and the lot. i still think its a load of crap , but since im not applying to oxbridge it might be wiser to apply straight after the oxbridge deadline to show them that your considering them as a serious Uni.

I can't apply after the Oxbridge deadline though because I want to apply for Oxbridge and my Tutor sounded as if they send off all the forms in early September regardless of who's applying for where.It was only me who raised my hand I think, when my Tutor asked who was considering Oxbridge.

Durham can't expect themselves to be better than Oxbridge can they:confused:I would have thought they would be happy that people applying for the likes of Oxbridge are applying for their University, which would make me think that I ran a very good University.
Original post by Jkizer
(I got 172)

Was your unit 2 high?
Unit 4 takes up a larger proportion, if you're macro is good A2 should r an easy A* (I think it is anyway tbh 89 in U2--> 100 in U4)
Original post by tooambitious
Was your unit 2 high?
Unit 4 takes up a larger proportion, if you're macro is good A2 should r an easy A* (I think it is anyway tbh 89 in U2--> 100 in U4)

is this the case for OCR ?

got high 90's in my macro exam , but a C on my micro - one mark off an A overall. that micro was a massive blip dunno what happened :tongue:

teacher's predicting me an A , but i don't suppose i stand much of a chance of getting an A* prediction in that ?

don;t particularly need it , just curious is all.
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
Wow you're 18 already!? :redface:. That was really quick, and well done on your results!

Haha yes, turned 18 last Wednesday! It's the big year now! Bring it on
Reply 919
Original post by tooambitious
Was your unit 2 high?

My essays were generally higher standard for Unit 2, as i actually knew the technique a lot better as well as able to cope with the time demands better (Unit 1 i found rushing / spending too long on certain q's)

I suppose Unit 3 of economics is horrid then or something? xD

Also guys i had a chat with my tutor, and for my main subjects i got AAB. What do you think is a sensible insurance range ish offer for my grades do you think? Predictions likely to be A*AA-A*AB
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending