The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 320
Original post by Lost And Confused
Okay, awesome - will just check with Pembroke to be sure :smile:

Sorry for my ignorance: society dinners? Will they just take place at the end of the year?

Most of them are either in Lent or Easter term. There will be boat club dinners in Mich term, and a few colleges have Snow Balls, but you could probably get away without one for the first term if you're not a rower.

olliswe
Anyone know how it is with taking a weekend "off" to go to an event or something in the middle of the term? Is the schedule so intense that you simply cannot afford days where you don't study for 4ish hours?

Yeah, it's usually ok. You just have to plan around it.
Any Breaking Bad fans here? The last episode of the show airs the Sunday/Monday we get there, and I reckon it'd be cool to get a couple people together to watch it/bitch about Skyler.
Reply 322
Original post by olliswe
Anyone know how it is with taking a weekend "off" to go to an event or something in the middle of the term? Is the schedule so intense that you simply cannot afford days where you don't study for 4ish hours?

4 or 48? 4 will be fine, you'll just have to plan ahead. 48 is likely to be dubious, especially if you're a scientist.
Reply 323
Original post by St. Brynjar
Any Breaking Bad fans here? The last episode of the show airs the Sunday/Monday we get there, and I reckon it'd be cool to get a couple people together to watch it/bitch about Skyler.

Ye huge fan right here. I'd be up for that :biggrin:

Bitch about Skylar? To be honest I think most of her actions are justified - her husband being a manipulative, murderous drug-lord and everything.

My girlfriend disagrees and she sympathises with Walt for some reason. At this point

Spoiler

But yeah sounds good, but all being at different colleges it may be somewhat hard to do. I'm arriving a week early as well, I guess I'll just watch the penultimate episode by myself. :colondollar:
Original post by LShirley95
Bitch about Skylar? To be honest I think most of her actions are justified - her husband being a manipulative, murderous drug-lord and everything.

My girlfriend disagrees and she sympathises with Walt for some reason. At this point

Spoiler

But yeah sounds good, but all being at different colleges it may be somewhat hard to do. I'm arriving a week early as well, I guess I'll just watch the penultimate episode by myself. :colondollar:

I was sort of joking with the Skyler bit, she just seems to be the hate figure :tongue: I'm hoping for

Spoiler

Original post by monksy9
Ye huge fan right here. I'd be up for that :biggrin:

Wicked. Br Ba society? :tongue:
I was sort of joking with the Skyler bit, she just seems to be the hate figure :tongue: I'm hoping for

Spoiler

Wicked. Br Ba society? :tongue:

It's relatively well-confirmed that there will be a Saul spin-off in the future, which probably suggests his survival, notwithstanding it being a prequel.

Also, I feel compelled to say (this not being a personally directed comment, mind): collective Skyler-hating is tiresome, is often implicitly or explicitly sexist, and has transgressed into hating the actor behind the character - to the point that Anna Gunn has received a torrent of very real-life death threats.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by wilson_smith
It's relatively well-confirmed that there will be a Saul spin-off in the future, which probably suggests his survival, notwithstanding it being a prequel.

Also, I feel compelled to say (this not being a personally directed comment, mind): collective Skyler-hating is tiresome, is often implicitly or explicitly sexist, and has transgressed into hating the actor behind the character - to the point that Anna Gunn has received a torrent of very real-life death threats.

Sarah Wayne Callies (Lori from The Walking Dead) faced similar abuse over her character,

Spoiler

I generally dislike Skyler. I can't explain it. Anna Gunn does a terrific job and deserves her Emmy nominations. The dinner scene with Walt & Jesse is one of the best in the series, and the delivery of the line

Spoiler

is spellbinding. But there's an aspect of her character that I find detracts from the pace of the show. And in the early seasons, I wanted Walt to get away with everything, so naturally her role as the ballbuster makes her a target.

RE Saul, I just can't help but think that the sequel news could be a smokescreen to stop people from expecting his death. It would hit a lot harder. In fact, Saul's death would be the loss of the most human character in the show.
Original post by olliswe
Back to the dinner suit discussion: does it HAVE to be black and white?

If you are Caucasian with anything but dark hair then you should probably settle with a black tux and white shirt because it normally does come off better. But there is no strict rule that says black and white is the only way to go :tongue:
Reply 329
I've heard that we can mail stuff to our colleges (e.g. books from amazon) so that it arrives before we do, but how would you go about doing it? Is name and college enough, or should we include more info like student number so it's easier for the porters (or the person who's in charge of this)? I imagine it'll get pretty confusing/messy even for the smaller colleges :P
Reply 330
Original post by blue_rain
I've heard that we can mail stuff to our colleges (e.g. books from amazon) so that it arrives before we do, but how would you go about doing it? Is name and college enough, or should we include more info like student number so it's easier for the porters (or the person who's in charge of this)? I imagine it'll get pretty confusing/messy even for the smaller colleges :P

If you know which bit of college you'll be living in, you can put that on to speed things up a bit (eg for Clare put either Memorial Court, Old Court or The Colony) but otherwise "Name, X college, Cambridge" will get there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 331
Original post by Helenia
If you know which bit of college you'll be living in, you can put that on to speed things up a bit (eg for Clare put either Memorial Court, Old Court or The Colony) but otherwise "Name, X college, Cambridge" will get there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awesome, thank you!! :smile::smile:

Edit: PRSOM :frown:
(edited 10 years ago)
So it'd be possible to send a box of stuff to arrive just before/when we arrive? I otherwise have to move everything by train :P
Original post by Helenia

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 333
Original post by rain on dry ground
So it'd be possible to send a box of stuff to arrive just before/when we arrive? I otherwise have to move everything by train :P

I don't know about large boxes - there is limited space in the porters' lodges and they may not have access to your rooms due to conferences etc. You would need to speak to your college porters about it.
Original post by Helenia
x

In your experience, roughly how much work are students set/expected to do (if any) in the holidays between terms?

I'm starting as an affiliate student directly into the 2nd year of a humanities degree but potentially have a baptism to attend in Australia come the 1st week of January - do you imagine it'd be too disruptive to head off for a week and a bit? Thanks :colondollar:
Just because it's necessary to spread this discussion far and wide. Do they do gravy on chips in Cambridge?
Reply 336
Original post by swraysford
In your experience, roughly how much work are students set/expected to do (if any) in the holidays between terms?

I'm starting as an affiliate student directly into the 2nd year of a humanities degree but potentially have a baptism to attend in Australia come the 1st week of January - do you imagine it'd be too disruptive to head off for a week and a bit? Thanks :colondollar:

Not at all - you'll want and need to take some time off. (And you can always take a bit with you if you feel bad!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bananarama2
Just because it's necessary to spread this discussion far and wide. Do they do gravy on chips in Cambridge?

276172_Papel_de_Parede_Meme_I_See_What_You_Did_There_1280x1024_Breiviks_private_swim_school-s128.jpg
Reply 338
Original post by bananarama2

Haha, I wonder why you ask that :wink:

As I've said previously, the only decent places are miles out :tongue:
Original post by wibletg
Haha, I wonder why you ask that :wink:

As I've said previously, the only decent places are miles out :tongue:

It just occurred to me...out of the blue.

Really, I did actually notice that :wink:
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending